Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look at his position when he gets hit, he was stepping back and got punched mid step, when his stance was wide open and his weight was miles off centre.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
i think it probably hurt him but wouldn't go as far as to say rocked, i think he slips slightly as he is trying to reset himself too which makes it look worse. Nowhere near like what happened to Rashad in the third though.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He was getting ready to stuff a takedown, he dropped his hands to catch Rashad coming in and threw his back leg out behind him ready to drop his weight on top of Rashad.

Think about it, he was on the way to defending a takedown, completely off balance and got tagged clean on the jaw by a fighter who has legit KO power.

And despite all that, he just stumbled and looks alert as Rashad comes running over. That's not rocked, he was no way near jelly island after that punch.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Ya I think he just lost his balance, Rashad's shot didn't look too hard it was just the thing to push him over the edge.
Ok yeah it did not rock him but he was definately hurt by the punch. Who loses their balance and needs to stumble for 5 steps to regain their footing? I do not think that Rampage was in danger of losing the fight at that point. But he was definately hurt.

On a side note... I like how there are now threads opened about both of these fighters not being rocked...

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
I said the exact same things right after the fight, that Rampage was off balance to begin with and it was more of a stumble then a "rock". A lot of people disagreed with me, hopefully more will see better with this GIF.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok yeah it did not rock him but he was definately hurt by the punch. Who loses their balance and needs to stumble for 5 steps to regain their footing? I do not think that Rampage was in danger of losing the fight at that point. But he was definately hurt.
Someone who hasn't been in a fight in over a year.

·
Registered
65 Posts

On a side note... I like how there are now threads opened about both of these fighters not being rocked...
Not trying to nitpick, but you said the punch didn't rock him but he was definately hurt by the punch...for the most part, isn't "rocked" and "hurt" pretty much the same thing?

·
Registered
342 Posts
He got hit with a HARD shot that knocked him off balance. You can call that getting rocked if you want but he wasnt any where near as close to being finished as was Rashad was later. And I assume thats what this whole thing is about: my guy hit yer guy harder yo

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Not trying to nitpick, but you said the punch didn't rock him but he was definately hurt by the punch...for the most part, isn't "rocked" and "hurt" pretty much the same thing?
No. Hurt implies that it was more than your average punch that just kinda pesters you. Rocked is where a fighter has a hard time doing anything and is really close to being finished... IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
No. Hurt implies that it was more than your average punch that just kinda pesters you. Rocked is where a fighter has a hard time doing anything and is really close to being finished... IMO.
Not according to Joe Rogan, He uses " He got hurt that by overhand right" a lot(example).

definition of hurt would mean just getting punched in general, wouldnt it? There is no single punch that would feel comfortable.

Rampage was simply stepping back when he got hit, that momentum from that punch made him go off balance. Rampage can probably take 20 of those punches with his feet set properly without getting so much as "rocked" or "hurt".

Rampage's jaw is made of something irregular, he has one of the best chins in MMA.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I agree he wasnt rocked.

The punch landed while he was off balance thats why he stumbled half way across the octagon.

He also showed no signs of being rocked after he regained his balance.

Good hard punch by Rashad though, might have KO'd a lot of other fighters. Too bad he didnt throw more of those instead of the hug fest we got.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
His legs never went to rubber and he didn't lose his composure/awareness and managed to stop Rashad's takedown that isn't being rocked. You only need to look to the jellyfishing that went on in the third to see what rocked looks like. Good solid punch though, it would have dropped Jardine or Forrest but you need about 10 of those in a row to stop Page.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
His legs never went to rubber and he didn't lose his composure/awareness and managed to stop Rashad's takedown that isn't being rocked. You only need to look to the jellyfishing that went on in the third to see what rocked looks like. Good solid punch though, it would have dropped Jardine or Forrest but you need about 10 of those in a row to stop Page.
This ^^^^^

Especially the bolded part.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Not according to Joe Rogan, He uses " He got hurt that by overhand right" a lot(example).

definition of hurt would mean just getting punched in general, wouldnt it? There is no single punch that would feel comfortable.

Rampage was simply stepping back when he got hit, that momentum from that punch made him go off balance. Rampage can probably take 20 of those punches with his feet set properly without getting so much as "rocked" or "hurt".

Rampage's jaw is made of something irregular, he has one of the best chins in MMA.
We are using what Joe rogan says as fact now?

Not many punches feel nice you are right but there is a difference from the little taps that Forrest punches are and the full punches that shogun, rampage, and on occasion Evans throws.

Hurt to me is a clean punch that lands and makes the fighter get his surroundings in the next couple of seconds.

Rocked is a fighter finds it hard to do anything and is basically just doing what comes natural and is covering up.

Rampage was hurt by that shot because he was leaning into in as well as Rashad threw all his weight into that punch as well as Rampage was not ready for it. Did he need a second to collect himself... yes. That is why he stumbled.

Was he in fetal position all I can do is try to move away or cover up? no.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts