Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IMO, MMA has evolved past Rampage. He'll never have that LHW title again.
Before any of you Quinton “Rampage” Jackson fanatics out there come bashing this post, hear me out. Let me put it out there and say that I am a true Rampage fan and I have been following him since his Pride days. I find him to be not only an amazing fighter but also one hell of a personality. His wit and humor, along with his caveman strength and KO power, have made him a fighter you cannot easily forget.

He is popular and he can bang with the best fighters MMA has to offer, there is no doubt about that. However, I am also a follower of the evolving sport and, as an analyst, I must be realistic and go against my fanaticism of Jackson and say that he can’t become a UFC champion again.

MMA, particularly UFC, has evolved so fast and so much that Rampage’s style has simply become ineffective. Well, he can still win high profile fights in a different format of MMA fighting but inside the UFC cage, his chance of getting that belt is slim.

1. Too Much KO Mentality

Sad to say, Jackson has become a one-dimensional fighter. Even with his wrestling skills and credentials, he has turned into a fighter with only a single intent in his mind and that is to knock his opponents out. People pay to watch his fights because they want to see his bombs explode on his opponent’s faces. Each time he fights, Rampage fans are often left hoping that he lands that one punch. Unfortunately, it is not that easy anymore. Fighters with half a brain will not just stand there in front of Jackson.

2. No Surprises

The more you see Rampage fights, the more obvious it gets. Rampage’s octagon demise is a set blueprint and it’s just a matter of execution on the fighter’s part. Elite level fighters are highly skilled and disciplined. If they can just execute and stick to the gameplan, they can and will win against Rampage.

3. Lack in Speed and Footwork

I hate to admit it, with all his power, Rampage is just too slow. He is enormously effective in the pocket but he is incapable of getting in that pocket unless his opponents allow it. He’ll never beat speedy in-and-out fighters. With his slow footwork, speed is his main enemy. On his own, he is incapable of bridging that distance to hit his opponents with his money shots.

4. The Octagon Disadvantage

The octagon is just too wide and too round for Jackson’s style. Opponents can easily evade and dance around the cage. Fighters are difficult to cut-off and corner as they can just laterally move away from the cage and get in better spots. Put Rampage in a smaller boxing ring and he is more likely to decapitate you but in the UFC, that is obviously not the case.

5. Inability to Win Rounds

Rampage does not know how to win points. This is in conjunction to his KO mentality. He is just there to bang and not win rounds. This is one reason why fans love his fights. With Rampage, half of the element of a sensational fight is already there. But it is also a big hole in his game because, I repeat, a smart fighter will not push his luck and go toe-to-toe against Rampage. Jackson is just too skilled inside the pocket. Remember what happened to Chuck and Wanderlei? Against Rampage, all you need to do is outpoint him.

6. Limited Cardio and Discipline

It is no surprise, Rampage is known for his not-so-excellent cardio and training/conditioning discipline. You can outcardio him that’s why Rampage tends to fight slow and rather passive. He paces himself too much because he knows deep inside that his gas tank is limited. He is incapable of too much activity and perhaps why he relies too much on the KO.

Analyst’s Perspective

The way I see it, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson can still win fights but not a chance against the likes of Machida, Rua, Anderson Silva, and yes even Evans on a rematch. I also don’t see him evolving well beyond his style. He is just what he is.

In Rampage’s last fight against Rashad, it is clear that Rashad was not willing to risk and exchange with Rampage even after Rashad just stunned him with the first punch. Evans stayed true to his gameplan and effectively won using his rather boring strategy. The fight just reinforced my analysis of Jackson.

It’s a good thing that I did not bet on Rampage like I usually do.

Fan’s Perspective

Although I won’t always bet my money on Jackson, I often find myself rooting for him to win. I don’t mind being proved wrong with a Rampage win over an elite fighter.
Read this article: 6 Reasons why Rampage will never be a Champ Again

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
And a thread needed to be started on this?
Of course he's not going to have the belt again. You might as well tell us the sky is blue.

·
Registered
603 Posts
IMO, MMA has evolved past Rampage. He'll never have that LHW title again.

Read this article: 6 Reasons why Rampage will never be a Champ Again
I would just say that RASHAD overall, had the better skills and game plan.
Jackon was just very interested in ko'ing Rashad IMO, and RASHAD SMARTLY WAS NOT WILLING TO ENGAGE with RAMPAGE, as he knew it would play to RAMPAGE strengths.
If anyone in the world stands toe to toe with RAMPAGE, he can beat them, but the in and out MACHIDA-ESQUE style Rashad used was the perfect style to use against Rampage and from now on, most fighters will use this against Rampage if he fights again, he has fought the same way ever since I have watched him, and isn't going to change anytime soon.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And a thread needed to be started on this?
Of course he's not going to have the belt again. You might as well tell us the sky is blue.
Apparently, it is not that obvious to some hardcore Rampage fans. Some buy the ring rust crap but as much as I love Rampage, he'll never beat LHW top 3 with his style.

·
To the death George
2,306 Posts
WTF is everyone talking about? is this some kind of joke? he loses a very close decision in what was basically a wrestling match to the former champion and was so close to ko'ing him, and now everyone thinks hes washed up? seriously people WTF?

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Wow this sport is flaky, a guy loses one fight and his career is over.....Shogun lost to Forrest he was done, Rashad losing to Lyoto and he was done, Machida lost to Shogun and he was done. I swear you'd think you had to be undefeated to ever win anything in this sport by the way people react after a loss.

BTW. I'm not a Page fan, I just laugh that if a guy loses a fight he's done and a can....

Reactions: Icculus

·
Premium Member
9,481 Posts
I think Rampage has a very good chance at getting the belt again, for one simple reason Rashad Evens. Rashad's style of jumping in and out of combos for the first 2 rounds is solid but he can't keep that pace up for an entire fight. He might be able to beat Shogun Rua and claim the title but he will have to face Rampage again and with five rounds I like Rampages chances.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think Rampage has a very good chance at getting the belt again, for one simple reason Rashad Evens. Rashad's style of jumping in and out of combos for the first 2 rounds is solid but he can't keep that pace up for an entire fight. He might be able to beat Shogun Rua and claim the title but he will have to face Rampage again and with five rounds I like Rampages chances.
Hope you're right man. I'm a Page fan but, as of late, he has become predictable and very very beatable.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I can't believe the things I'm reading. A guy who hasn't fought in over a year and had an outrageous weight cut nearly finished a very active, former champion. Not only that but the loss wasn't even in devastating fashion. The fans of this sport are a joke.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
This is not only about Rampage losing to Rashad.

Do you seriously think that Rampage can win against the top light heavyweights based on his past performances, win or lose?
I think Rampage could beat Lyoto given the right game plan and I think he could beat Rashad in a rematch with the righ plan. Rampage can adapt that article makes it seem like Page can't alter his style and work on his footwork like he's stuck the way he is. I don't think he could beat Shogun, but then again I don't think there are many that can beat Shogun the way he's looked as of late, the only chance people seem to have with him is he runs out of gas.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Frankly, I'm shocked Quinton was even able to make weight, much less go three full rounds.

This past fight is not the issue. Right now, he needs to decide on a career and make peace with that decision.

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
LOl at anyone thinking a man who has knockout power in both hands will never be champ. If anyone pays attention most big fights stay standing. If rampage gets back to tranning and dropps everything such as movie he will be champ one day.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOl at anyone thinking a man who has knockout power in both hands will never be champ. If anyone pays attention most big fights stay standing. If rampage gets back to tranning and dropps everything such as movie he will be champ one day.
But Rampage have never REALLY changed. That's the problem. Is he capable of adapting a gameplan far outside of the way he fights.

He rarely set up a shot for takedown. It seems that he is contented in enticing brawl and counter inside the pocket. He is ABSOLUTELY the best in that situation. However, everyone knows that as well and NO ONE will dare enter that Rampage zone except maybe for Thiago Silva -- its his strength too.

·
Abusive
1,806 Posts
I can't believe the things I'm reading. A guy who hasn't fought in over a year and had an outrageous weight cut nearly finished a very active, former champion. Not only that but the loss wasn't even in devastating fashion. The fans of this sport are a joke.
Should'a, would'a, could'a... But, Rampage couldn't cut it. It's his fault he doesn't know how to cut weight, and don't get me wrong, Rampage is good on his feet, but that's it. I agree with the OP in that Rampage will never be the LWH Champion again. I'm tired of the excuses in Rampage's favor. Rashad fought a smart fight, and won it fair and square.

In fact, I see him dropping out of the top five, even top ten, within the next year or two.

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
But Rampage have never REALLY changed. That's the problem. Is he capable of adapting a gameplan far outside of the way he fights.

He rarely set up a shot for takedown. It seems that he is contented in enticing brawl and counter inside the pocket. He is ABSOLUTELY the best in that situation. However, everyone knows that as well and NO ONE will dare enter that Rampage zone except maybe for Thiago Silva -- its his strength too.
Rampage is a fighter, last night he had evans beat he just took his foot off the pedal. Pus I don't see anyone keeping rampage on the floor and submitting him. He has never been summited. MMA is a ego game, if u really want a win u gotta KO,Submit or TKo ur opponent. Every fighter has there style I tihkn Rampage knows his style and his weakness and can survive on the ground. Every Champ has either won the title by knockout or has lost by knockout.

·
Premium Member
4,601 Posts
Saying he'll never have the belt again may be true, but this article is giving Rampage no credit at all.

Rashad is a speed demon with great wrestling and gameplans, and Rampage is coming off a long layoff and being really heavy before starting to train. In his next fight he'll be a different monster than he was last night.

·
Premium Member
9,481 Posts
Should'a, would'a, could'a... But, Rampage couldn't cut it. It's his fault he doesn't know how to cut weight, and don't get me wrong, Rampage is good on his feet, but that's it. I agree with the OP in that Rampage will never be the LWH Champion again. I'm tired of the excuses in Rampage's favor. Rashad fought a smart fight, and won it fair and square.

In fact, I see him dropping out of the top five, even top ten, within the next year or two.
Well it wouldn't be that big of a deal to see him drop out of the top five, in my eyes he's already 6th. Rua, Machida, Evans and Anderson Silva are allready locked up ahead of him. But who is going to over take him?

Jon Jones...likely
Forrest Griffin...doubt it
Little Nog...not after that "win"
Mousasi...not likely
King Mo...might get a Strikeforce token bump
Luiz Cane...nope
Rich Franklin...would anyone believe it even if it happened

The way the top ten is in the Light Heavyweight Division he's going to need to take atleast two more major loses and someone making a big run like Hamill, Diabate or Bader to take him out of the top ten.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rampage is a fighter, last night he had evans beat he just took his foot off the pedal. Pus I don't see anyone keeping rampage on the floor and submitting him. He has never been summited. MMA is a ego game, if u really want a win u gotta KO,Submit or TKo ur opponent. Every fighter has there style I tihkn Rampage knows his style and his weakness and can survive on the ground. Every Champ has either won the title by knockout or has lost by knockout.
Saku subbed Rampage in Pride

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
While the article raises some valid points and I agree that Rampage will probably never be champion again, the article is a bit harsh on Rampage. Lets face some facts here, if Rampage landed those shots he wiffed on Rashad when he knocked him out he could have easily won by TKO in the third round. Also if the fight was 5 rounds im not so sure Rashad could have avoided Page's heavy hands for much longer.
Even still Rampage lost a close decision and is still one of the best LHWs in the world.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.