Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s been a great year for Strikeforce. But has their overall product gained anything? While they are on CBS, and Showtime, do they have that everlasting effect on their viewers? Their match making continues to mindboggle, with Overeem vs. Rogers, Fedor vs. Werdum.

I have been an avid follower of Strikeforce for about four years now. I don’t have many bad things to say about them as a whole. I do question their business decisions in terms of match making. Their heavyweight champion hasn’t fought in two years, yet he remains the champion. They give Bret Rogers a title shot, after being KO’d by Fedor. They put Fedor up against Werdum, good match up, but it is a very odd match up considering Overeem’s return to the promotion. Yes, Fedor made it clear he didn’t want to fight a “steroid bully.”

Bringing in Fedor for their CBS card did pay off. One fight in to his contract, and they are already re-negotiating their deal. Terms of his first, and new deal, will never come to light, but you can assume M1 global is all over it and Fedor’s monetary pay off is substantial. Fedor is a big name overseas, and has yet to be known to many American MMA fans. Is Fedor’s huge contract worth the extra work.

Strikeforce vs. DREAM has all the makings of a great pro-wrestling-like feud and could bring a great deal of fight of the year candidates. Aoaki vs. Gilbert should be a great fight.

Dan Henderson signing with Strikeforce was a huge deal, a big name, a big household name. Having him fight Shields was their only option, despite the major weight differential. Shields on his way out, possibly to the UFC is a huge loss on their end, even though it hasn’t even sorted itself out yet.

Strikeforce on CBS this Saturday will be the tell-tale of how well their product is. Can they do big numbers without Fedor? It’s a stacked card, three title fights, for free, you can’t go wrong.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It’s been a great year for Strikeforce. But has their overall product gained anything?
Nope, absolutely not. A lot of their fights don't seem to have any point, meaning they don't lead to anywhere. What I mean by that is how is Fedor not fighting for the title yet? Why is Jason Miller fighting no name Tim Stout? Who is the #1 contender for the winner of Dan Henderson and Jake Shields? Or for that matter, where are they gonna get fighters for any of their big name fighters? Basically we're gonna start getting a lot of rematches or fighters getting matches outside their weight class, like Jake Shields is, because Strikeforce has been absolutely terrible at bringing up new prospects.

Not enough cards, meaning less fights for prospects, and badly structured matchmaking. Eventually Strikeforce isn't gonna have enough money to keep bringing in all these fighters from outside the promotion and they'll need to cultivate their own quality instead of just buying it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts