Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.mmamania.com/2010/5/3/1456182/randy-couture-it-will-be-hard-for

"It looks like we're narrowing it down, hopefully get a chance to sign for the James Toney fight here pretty quickly, and they're looking to put that fight on at UFC 118 in Boston in August, and I'm excited about that. We've heard (Floyd) Mayweather and others kind of run their mouths about it, and he's the first one that's actually had the courage to step up and fight, and stand behind what he's talking. Someone needs to welcome him appropriately to mixed martial arts, and show him what we're all about. He'll be very formidable at range, and I think anybody who faces him would be silly to stand around in front of him, and play that game. I'm going to go out and try to set him up, use my striking effectively to set him up, run him into the fence when possible, and tie him up and smother him, and put him on his butt. It's a lot harder for him to be an effective boxer from his butt."
With his UFC 118 fight with James Toney on August 28 in Boston all but official, former UFC champion and MMA legend Randy Couture appears set on making his intentions for the bout well-known... take Toney down, beat Toney up. Makes sense, right? It also seems to be pretty evident that all the talk by boxers essentially condemning the sport of mixed martial arts has really gotten to "The Natural," and that he is more than happy to put MMA on his shoulders in what will undoubtedly be the highest profile contest between MMA and boxing to date. So, is it gonna be as easy as Couture is making it out to be? Do you Maniacs agree that if Randy follows through with this game plan, aside from catching a shot as he goes in for the takedown, this fight doesn't end without the good guy winning?

I think Randy wins this easy!!!!:thumbsup:

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
This is going to be interesting. I hope that Randy beats Toney's ass, personally, because I like Randy and am indifferent towards Toney, and I think that kind of win would be good for him at this point in his career. It's nice to win a high profile fight, even against someone who's old and inexperienced. Plus, it's a good payday.

Of course, I do think it's going to be tricky for Randy to get inside and get this fight to the mat. I really wanted to see Toney take on a kickboxer in his first bout, because I think that matchup is, stylistically, more difficult and doesn't allow Toney to just back up the entire fight.

That said, if Randy gets inside effectively, he should be in great shape in this bout. I can't imagine Toney having a substantial ground game waiting for Randy, however much he works on it, and Randy's top game (and submissions, generally) doesn't get the respect it deserves much of the time. Regardless of the level of respect for Randy's topgame, it's lightyears ahead of Toney's.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Toney can damn sure punch. And all it takes is one.
He is going to have to get inside on Randy and i think he will get punished on the way in, Randy is big enough to clinch and win there and also force Toney into the cage where we all know Randy lands his damage.....however, you are correct, should he connect with one power shot it could all be over....do i see that....no....could it happen certainly....:thumbsup: Im pumped!!!

·
Registered
342 Posts
If I was Toney I would say that I didnt really mean it when I called out Randy Couture for my first MMA fight, I really just want to fight Kimbo for big $$$ first.

seriously, if he does want to make some money in MMA, getting ragdolled and then made to look like a child on his back in his first fight wont help him.

If he does back out of the Couture fight then Id like to see him get KOed by the winner (or loser for that matter) of Barry v CC

·
Registered
933 Posts

Of course, I do think it's going to be tricky for Randy to get inside and get this fight to the mat.

Really? I think this will be one of the easiest fights in Randy's career. He will not be kicked at, kneed, or clinched and he certainly won't have Toney trying to take him to the ground. Toney will probably get one punch off and that will be that (even if it connects...Toney is not now and never has been a power puncher).

God, I can't wait to get his over with.

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Really? I think this will be one of the easiest fights in Randy's career. He will not be kicked at, kneed, or clinched and he certainly won't have Toney trying to take him to the ground. Toney will probably get one punch off and that will be that (even if it connects...Toney is not now and never has been a power puncher).

God, I can't wait to get his over with.
I hope you're right.

My only concern is that its hard to chase someone who's running away when you're concerned about their punching power, especially when you're trying to get through that range. It's not an easy thing to do.

I hope that you're right that Randy won't have trouble getting inside and getting Toney down. If this is the easiest fight of his career, it'll be a great night for me, but I seem to have more concern about Toney's hands and backpedaling capacity than most people.

·
Registered
19 Posts
First off..Anything is possible. As long as Randy avoids the big hit, he will win. Randy will stay on him the entire fight. Lots of underhooks. Most of the fight will be Randy imposing his will on Toney against the cage. Lots of dirty boxing. It will be a decision in Randy's favor more than likely. As long as he doesnt get caught.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Randy will tool this guy in the game of MMA. Toney is way out of his league here. Randy wins this one on the ground with Toney tapping to strikes.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
I would have wanted to see a Muay Thai striker and BJJ practicioner fight against him rather than just a wrestler who clinches and GnPs. I think Couture sees it as a historical fight of sorts so he wants to represent the sport. To me Randy isn't a purist as he was a Greco Roman wrestler with a boxing game. Nonetheless he has proven himself so let the games begin.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I know Toney has been running his mouth, but putting him up against someone like Randy in his first match is pretty ridiculous. They're probably paying him too much money to work his way up the ranks, but I'd be interested in seeing how well Toney could do with some decent training and experience before taking on top ranked guys. I really don't get why Dana even signed Toney if he's just going to throw him to the sharks and cut him after two losses. Is he just trying to prove that MMA > Boxing? I really hope that Dana doesn't make a habit of these kinds of freak show fights.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
OMG Toney is a boxer he can KO Randy by just showing him his big boxer's fist.

Toney by KO 1st round, 8 seconds.

No one can stand with Toney, too much boxing and power for MMA guys.

·
Registered
342 Posts
First off..Anything is possible. As long as Randy avoids the big hit, he will win. Randy will stay on him the entire fight. Lots of underhooks. Most of the fight will be Randy imposing his will on Toney against the cage. Lots of dirty boxing. It will be a decision in Randy's favor more than likely. As long as he doesnt get caught.

I think he'll just take Toney down when they clinch. The reason he does his dirty boxing up against the cage is because its easier than taking down someone with good TDD. Toney will not have good TDD by any stretch of the imagination, so Randy will body lock him and toss him down into side control. Also, Randy has no fear of being subbed OBVIOUSLY.
* Also, Toney might possibly be a little dangerous in the dirty boxing clinch game with fast uppercuts and the like.

I seriously believe this will end with a sub or Toney tapping to strikes within 2 minutes. Randy should have his fans vote on what submission they want him to use on Toney because I believe that once this fight hits the mat Randy will be able to do anything he wants to Toney.
What is the most embarrassing submission you can get caught in? Standing head and arm choke? Kimura from half gaurd?
* maybe we'll see the first ever tapout from a can opener. Thats my vote.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.