Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a match likely to re-ignite the "boxing vs. MMA" debate, a bout between 10-time UFC champion Randy Couture (18-10 MMA, 15-7 UFC) and former boxing champion James Toney (0-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) is targeted for the UFC's first trip to Boston.

Fighters Only was the first to report the possibility of the pairing, and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed that while the matchup is far from official, it's in the works for a headlining spot at the event.

Although not officially announced, UFC 118 is expected to take place Aug. 28 at the TD Garden in Boston. Two high-profile lightweight fights are currently on tap for the Northeast event: newly minted champion Frankie Edgar fights the man he deposed for the belt, B.J. Penn, in an immediate rematch of their recent UFC 112 bout, and two-time contender Kenny Florian faces standout Gray Maynard.

The weight limit of Couture vs. Toney is currently undetermined. Couture is now two fights into a second stint as a light heavyweight, while Toney is primarily regarded as a heavyweight in the boxing world.

The position of Couture vs. Toney on UFC 118's card is also unknown at this time, though sources close to the event say it will likely take a headline or co-headline slot.

Toney, 41, won a UFC contract in early March after a protracted trash-talk campaign against UFC president Dana White and several mixed martial arts fighters. The former boxing champion sought the guidance of boxing and MMA coach Juanito Ibarra and at several points welcomed a fight with Couture (though he called out virtually every MMA star he could name).

Toney is currently training with Ibarra in Southern California as he prepares for his MMA debut.

Couture, 46, railroaded fellow UFC Hall of Fame member Mark Coleman in his most recent performance at UFC 109. The win shook off controversy that lingered after his prior appearance, a close decision victory over Brandon Vera at UFC 105 this past November, and put him on track for a shot at the 205-pound title.

When Toney signed, however, Couture expressed an immediate interest in welcoming the boxer to MMA.

Couture lost his heavyweight title to current champion Brock Lesnar at UFC 91. A subsequent setback against Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 102 prompted a move to the 205-pound class.

He remains one of only two men to hold titles in two different weight classes (He won light heavyweight gold three times with wins over Chuck Liddell, Tito Ortiz and Vitor Belfort and heavyweight gold against Maurice Smith, Kevin Randleman, Tim Sylvia and Gabriel Gonzaga).

A part-time actor in addition to his pugilistic responsibilities, Couture's new movie, "The Expendables," is set to premiere on Aug. 12, a little more than two weeks before UFC 118.

UFC 118 is the first major MMA event to arrive in Massachusetts. This past November, the state's governor, Deval Patrick, signed into law a bill that calls for the Massachusetts State Boxing Commission to become the Massachusetts State Athletic Commission and oversee MMA events.

TD Garden, an indoor venue that is home to the NBA's Boston Celtics and NHL's Boston Bruins, has a maximum capacity of more than 19,000.
the card shaping up nicely .
Toney need to tag randy once-twice with semi decent shots and it's "lights-out" , but let's hope randy take him down fast and elbow him till he quit.

·
Banned
525 Posts
What happened to Toney calling out Kimbo? Nevermind that. Anyways, Toney is cleary as dumb as he sounds.

"Hey, I'm brand to new to MMA and only have boxing to fall back on. I think I'll take a 5 time champion, hall of fame, true, mixed martial artist in my debut." Dumb as ****.

Although, Toney could win if he could keep it standing, boxing. Let's face it, 4 months won't be long enough for Toney to learn how to keep from having his dumbass thrown to the mat and pounded on or subbed. Hopefully, after Couture absolutely mauls him, Toney will shut the **** up for a minute at least.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
This is the fight I figured Dana would set up for Toney. He wants to prove MMA is still better so he puts the incoming boxer up against a wrestler who will take him down all night long. If Randy does not take it dow though I see he could get KOed in the clinch or trying to box with Toney. Should be an interesting fight if (big if) toney can keep it standing.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Dana really wants to send a message to those who thinks boxing is the better sport. Too bad the message is being sent to James Toney who is really over the hill. Toney will be put down hard and quick if he fights Randy. This will not be a Mercer v. Sylvia situation. MMA is a whole new game, and Toney will be finding this out quick.

Reactions: Soojooko

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
There are other matchups I would have rather seen to get Toney bashed in; Randy is fuckin old and has a bit of a history of thinking his boxing is better than it is. His recent win against grandpa Coleman probably doesn't help that mindset.

Couture should definitely win, he's a way better fighter, but I wouldn't be flabbergasted if he found a way to get himself knocked out. If he does lose it's going to make MMA look awful compared to boxing when in reality it'd just be a matter of a guy who's way WAY past his prime being unable to compete with contenders or non-contenders like Toney.

Couture should win though, and it should be easy. Just cover your face as you move forward (as opposed to trying to throw stupid punches, which I'm afraid he'll do), tie up, and take Toney down. Once Toney's down the fight should end pretty quickly.

·
Any Weight, Anytime...
447 Posts
Randy better take him down, cause aint no way hes gonna pull of his "dirty boxing cage clinch" tactic, hell just get uppercut to hell.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The logic of that fight in sence MMA vs Boxing is good.

Old legendary MMA fighter vs old legendary Boxer.

Randy is always in great shape. James was totally out of shape.

Only way Randy could lose this is that he fall into boxing game. As mentioned before.

So obviously Dana chose way of shuting Toneys mouth.

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
Toney is gonna get beatdown, he is not even a puncher at HW in boxing...last time he stopped a decent fighter was like 7 years ago.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
I would have liked to see Jon Jones on em or Thiago Silva. Take em down and tap em out...

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Randy better take him down, cause aint no way hes gonna pull of his "dirty boxing cage clinch" tactic, hell just get uppercut to hell.
Nope. Cant agree there J.

Its the one doing the pressing that gets off the uppercuts. If Toney is being pressed against the cage, hes not upper cutting shit.

I predict Randy pressing to the cage immediately and elbowing Toneys fat shiney head an awful lot. I then predict Toney doing a Mercer and walking away whilst mumbling something to the ref about "pound for pound" and "fight like a man"... except the ref wont hear it for all the laughing.

We will never see Toney in the UFC again.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Toney shouldn't even be in the UFC but it's pretty cool that two veterans of their respective sports get to go at it and who could represent MMA better than Couture?

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
I hope you have someone to remind you of this statement on fight night.
Toney is going to get mugged in the clinch. He doesn't know what a clinch is. the first time randy backs him in to the cage he'll be looking for the ref to separate them. He's gonna be so mad when Randy doesn't back off and "fight like a man"

I could see Randy talking him through the entire fight.
" this is a thai clinch, notice my knees. this is a greco, and we call this DIRTY boxing. Always watch for the trip when I'm elbowing your head. Here, let me help you up."

I predict a very painful and entertaining clinic in the first round. In the second round Toney will be exhausted and Randy will KNOCK HIM OUT STANDING UP. Either by head kick when toney tries to bob and weave or superman punch after he's kicked his leg 2 or 10 times.

I can't remember Randy KO'ing anyone before. It would be perfect if this were his first. I just hope Randy doesn't mount him because then I see Toney tapping from position and fatigue like any other newbie.(actually I think he would forget how to tap and the fight would end with toney screaming at the ref "get this MF off me!!")

Randy really wants this fight. NO ONE in MMA wants Randy Couture pursuing them, certainly not an over the hill neophyte. Of course Toney's not smart enough to know this. I cant't wait to hear his trash talk before and after the fight. I think he'll be a little harder to understand after.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Nope. Cant agree there J.

Its the one doing the pressing that gets off the uppercuts. If Toney is being pressed against the cage, hes not upper cutting shit.

I predict Randy pressing to the cage immediately and elbowing Toneys fat shiney head an awful lot. I then predict Toney doing a Mercer and walking away whilst mumbling something to the ref about "pound for pound" and "fight like a man"... except the ref wont hear it for all the laughing.

We will never see Toney in the UFC again.
Agree completely until the final sentence. I think we'll see 2 James Toney fights in the UFC, he'll more than likely lose to Randy before potentially stepping in against Kimbo Slice. Think the PPV buys that fight would bring-in would be too much for Dana and the UFC to resist. Unless Kimbo loses to Mitrione anyway.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have often wondered why Dana signed Toney in the first place. He is an over the hill, out of shape, past his prime boxer with no MMA experience at all. That being said, he was a great boxer in his day and his record speaks for itself. But, why did Dana sign him with the UFC with absolutely no experience? In my personal opinion it was to prove a point. It was to prove that a boxer cannot hang with today's MMA fighters in an MMA rules match. There is a ongoing debate on this topic and I really believe he is using Toney to prove a point. Giving him Randy in his first fight just further validates this belief for me. Randy is the absolute worst possible matchup or Toney. No matter what anyone thinks, Randy is not stupid. He is a master at gameplans. He will not try and trade with Toney on his feet. I can see he pawing a jab or a few kicks to get Toney to engage, then he will immediately shoot, take him down and pound him out. Unfortunately even this will probably not shut up Mr. Toney. He will probably call Randy a pus** for not standing with him or something like that. But oh well, the deed will be done regardless.

I would like to clarify something before the boxing purists on here attack me. As far as the MMA vs. Boxing debate goes, the reverse is also true. When I said that a boxer cannot hang in an MMA match, the reverse is also true. If Randy and Toney had purely a boxing match, Randy would get beat down. That is also why the boxing vs. MMA debate is so stupid in the first place. You can't compare apples to oranges.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Couture should definitely win, he's a way better fighter, but I wouldn't be flabbergasted if he found a way to get himself knocked out. If he does lose it's going to make MMA look awful compared to boxing when in reality it'd just be a matter of a guy who's way WAY past his prime being unable to compete with contenders or non-contenders like Toney.
Agree. Randy has looked slow and chinny lately, it isn't out of the question that he get caught and dropped. Toney even HAVING this fight legitimizes him too much. If he actually won I'd feel sick. If this happens Couture better be smart enough to just take him down and pound him out.

·
Roll Tide Roll
7,603 Posts
This has the potential to be a disaster for MMA ...I have faith in Randy but I would be lying if I said I wasnt a little worried....I mean WHAT IF Tony WINS????? Its not probable but the chance is there...I would be sick

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
i really want Randy to keep it standing.

not standing as in boxing range tho.

in the clinch. put Toney against the cage and find out who has the best boxing..... DIRTY boxing.... i think we should all know the answer to that.

Randy via TKO after dropping Toney from the clinch against the cage.

Toney would feel even dumber to be hurt "standing"

it still sickens me how ignorant alot of ppl (including here) are to how little power James Toney really has and how washed up he is.

He isnt KOing anybody with 1 shot. He isnt Ray Mercer. Ray is a HUGE HW that HUGE natural power.

Toney is a MW with a HW stomach. Flat feet and poor cardio.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts