Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Octagon control, people. He had it. For nearly 2/3s of the fight. I'm not saying it was a pretty win. And I'm certainly not saying that it was an impressive win. But he was able to hold Vera against that cage, and Vera wasn't able to escape. So take your shots at Randy, like the fickle crowd you are (you claim to be so much better than WWE fans, yet you're more or less the same), and move on with your lives. I'm seeing far too many asinine comments from people on these boards who at one moment love a fighter, then the next minute turn on him. Just like... gasp... the fans of wrestling that we all claim to loathe!

Randy had some nice exchanges of his own, and while Vera clearly had the more effective and damaging strikes, it doesn't change the fact that Couture quite clearly dictated where the fight took place. And this is why he was given a very narrow win. Key word being narrow, people. He didn't win by a mile, and this was hardly highway robbery. Maybe we should point our fingers at Vera for not doing a bit more to get away from the cage? Or finishing Randy when he had the chance? Feel free to disagree, and I encourage discussion. But I don't see this as being anywhere near as bad as Machida vs. Shogun in regards to the decision.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I agree! Randy won, heres how I scored it.

Randy won round 1.
Vera won Round 2.
Randy won Round 3. Here is why- He controled the round and landed some shots as well. Vera got a take down, but randy also escaped. I would of gave Vera a couple for the take down and one for randy for escaping. Giving that Randy controled the round, I give round 3 to Randy.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Randy wasnt even in complete control of the clinch, got almost everyone of his takedowns stuffed, Vera dropped him and the ref stood them up way to fast, Vera had full mount in the third and did the only damage in the entire fight. I dont consider clinching to be significant if you cant do shit with it. Getting your offense shut down doesnt equal a win, Vera put out the only real offense of the fight. The most bias reffing in the history of the UFC. Total bullshit on so many levels.

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
I'll have to rewatch the fight later, but on first viewing I felt Vera just barely eeked out a win, but Couture winning isn't a robbery.

Octagon control is only part of the scoring.

You also have striking, aggression, and grappling. I give the striking and aggression to Vera and grappling as a draw because Vera was able to achieve the mount.

·
Registered
535 Posts
If Randy Couture was replaced with someone like I don't know say Ryan Bader for example, you guys would change your opinion in an instant. Randy's legacy has skewed your perception. Stop lying to yourselves.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
When so little happens in a fight, how can you not give it to the one fighter who does anything? How about a 10/8 round? Jesus, Randy almost got finished in the second.

·
Banned
392 Posts
With UFC judging yes couture won, they really value octagon control. Overall it was a shitty fight but come on vera, that is what you get for letting randy muscle you against the cage like that.

If this fight happened in the square ring like pride randy wouldve gotten knocked out in the first 30 seconds. Oh well.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Randy wasnt even in complete control of the clinch, got almost everyone of his takedowns stuffed, Vera dropped him and the ref stood them up way to fast, Vera had full mount in the third and did the only damage in the entire fight. I dont consider clinching to be significant if you cant do shit with it. Getting your offense shut down doesnt equal a win, Vera put out the only real offense of the fight. The most bias reffing in the history of the UFC. Total bullshit on so many levels.
In wrestling a takedown is worth a couple of points and an escape is worth a point as well. Randy did escape Vera's takedown and he controlled the 3rd round. I gave Randy round 1 and 3.

You could score it a draw.
Randy 10-9 RD1
Vera 10-8 Rd2
Randy 10-9 Rd3

I dont see how you can give it to vera for one takedown.:confused05:

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree in some regards. Randy's TDs were essentially non-existent, and I've already admitted that Vera's striking was far superior in terms of damage, but I don't think those kicks, and even the TD, which Vera did nothing with, change the fact that Randy dictated where 2/3s of the fight took place. Whether it was ugly or cheap is irrelevant. I don't like it myself, and I really do think Couture's age shown through tonight, but he still managed to weigh down a much younger, much larger fighter for the bulk of that fight, and Vera wasn't able to fight his fight because of this, as Joe even said (before turning on Randy at the end).

It was close. To the point where I thought Brandon might even take a split decision. But I wasn't at all surprised to see it go to Randy, nor was I fuming over it. I think some of the backlash is absolutely ridiculous and unjustified.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
In wrestling a takedown is worth a couple of points and an escape is worth a point as well. Randy did escape Vera's takedown and he controlled the 3rd round. I gave Randy round 1 and 3.

Randy 10-9 RD1
Vera 10-8 Rd2
Randy 10-9 Rd3

Takedown and mount compared to holding the clinch and getting your takedowns stuffed, Randy did as little in the third as he did in the first and never actually won an exchange. Another thing, the ref let Randy clinch for way to long without doing anything, Vera could have been holding it in order to get a separation that this terrible ref was so hesitant to give.

·
Great Googly Moogly!
1,406 Posts
I counted the fight for Randy, mostly because I was looking at it as a judge would. Judges are forced to look at the rounds as separate events, Randy had control of rounds 1 and 3. He controlled the pace of the fight and had a takedown in round one and landed more shots in the third round while controlling the pace.

I feel if the judging criteria were different (Not using teh 10-point must system) then the fight would be much closer and I believe Vera would have won.

Don't bash the judges or the UFC for this one.

·
Banned
392 Posts

Randy 10-9 RD1
Vera 10-8 Rd2
Randy 10-9 Rd3

Wrong sport bro, this is MMA.

·
Registered
260 Posts
To me this fight is not a robbery it depends on what the judges valued and I agreed with their decision. I would not have blown a gasket if Vera was the winner either. A very close fight and could go either way.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Im shocked that anyone can really agree with this decision. You can say that Randy controlled the fight, but Vera also negated everything that he tried to do. Vera may have been pressed against the cage, but he kept Randy from doing anything and had the only offense in the second and third rounds. The Randy bias on here is starting to reach Machida esque levels.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Based on the criteria judges use I understand why Couture got the win. It's a really, really shitty way to win and I believe "Octogon Control" is seriously over valued.

Couture gets the Matt Hughes treatment on this one, he was content to lean on Vera and the ref wasn't gonna do shit about it.

·
ASS MAN
6,063 Posts
You're right in the aspect that Randy may have "controlled" the fight but "octagon control" is the most controversial and IMO BS way to judge a fight since many judges don't score it the same way. Shogun "won" the octagon control in his fight with Machida but lost the decision- Randy was able to "hug" Vera against the cage though Vera was able to limit the effectiveness to zero damage taken. Vera landed the most damaging strikes but Randy "hugged" him against the cage for the win via "octagon control".

No it's not surprising but just another example that judging fights like this can go either way and in all honesty not to the person who "won" the fight but to how the judges see and award "points" correctly or incorrectly when determining a "winner".

1 - 20 of 97 Posts