Votes: 21 18.3%
  • too early to say

Votes: 6 5.2%
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, let me get this out the way real quick......Im a rampage fan so if my opinion seems a bit biased....too bad for you:).
so who wins in the upcoming fight for the Light heavyweight belt?

Why shogun wins:His style posses a threat to rashad in every aspect of the stand-up department. His leg kicks are especially worrisome to rashad and his game-plan, which i imagine will incorporate take-downs.Those kicks to the leg will hamper shads speed in the stand-up and limit his take-down and its effectiveness. The multitude of ways that shogun can hurt his opponent will definitely keep shad on his toes. Shogun should be fast enough to keep up with rashads speed which will make it more difficult for rashad to move in and out.
All of that, coupled with his slick submission game and sweeps from the bottom means that he can take the fight to rashad anytime anywhere and get either a sub,tko, or outpoint rashad to victory.

Why Rashad wins:Take-downs will be the name of the game here and rashad has shown that he can take down fighters with good tdd. Shogun has shown that his tdd is not as good as it should be. This might stem from his jj background and his confidence that he can either sub or get the fight beck to the feet off his back. That wont work against shad. shad has never been subbed and shogun has shown a weakness in the second machida fight. Machida, who has never made it a point to take opponents down took shogun down at will.That can only mean trouble when he faces an all American div.1 wrestler in Rashad Evans.
Rashad's speed and take-downs will pose problems for shogun and his tdd. shad takes this by controlling shogun and keeping him on his back.

I got rashad winning a close ud, wrestling is just becoming more and more of a factor in mma and if your tdd is not excellent or you cant take down the other guy first, its hard to pull out the win.:thumb02:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
rashad has become one dimensional: before he was a wrestler learning stand up and incorporating the two, now he's a wrestler only.... his stand up game is that of damian maia now, unlike Kos who's become more well rounded.

rua doesn't win this because he's great, rashad loses this because he has not grown.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Rashad can take Shogun down, but Rashad has no ground offense for good fighters with grappling ability. Look how good Shogun was under Machida and was able to get back to his feet quickly. Tiago Silva did it against Rashad, Rampage did and so will Shogun.

The difference between them and Shogun is the best striking in the division and he will probably have better cardio. Rashad can't keep his takedown gameplan up for 5 rounds, and with such an inability to take a shot Shogun will finish him. I don't even think Shogun needs him to gas though, I think his footwork and striking will keep Rashad tentative and hunt him down for the KO.

Shogun 3rd round.

·
WIDE OPEN
3,973 Posts
Shogun via TKO, he is too tricky on the ground for Rashad to play around with, and is no slouch in the clinch against the cage. Rashad has a good chance to ground and pound him if he jumps on it, as we've seen him do to people before, but I think is too much. That speed advantage won't be so prevalent in this one.

I am very bias though.

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
those takedowns will take a toll on shogun and with his inability to stop takedowns he will leave himself suceptible to damage and the finish. Rashad did not look gassed in his fight with page and he survived some big punches. I just think with the way his cardio has been looking, you cant let him take you down and expect him to gas or beat him in latter founds. Shogun will get taken down and wont get the chance to work his striking game.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Shogun via knockout, submission, or decision he can win it any way possible. I have no faith in Rashad's weak chin or Greg Jackson Jitsu. Rashad will gas in this fight if it gets past the third also he didn't full on gas in the Rampage fight but he looked tired coming out for the third and Shogun is a lot harder to deal with on the ground than Page is. Rashad will have less of a speed advantage standing as well. I don't think Shogun was really expecting lyoto to go after takedowns like that he will prepare for that against Rashad and be timing him with knees. I expect Rashad to get takedowns but he is going to get punished for it and Shogun off his back is an animal Rashad hasn't faced yet.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
I was going to make a new thread but I'll just post this here before I give my opinion in the poll.

Knowing that Rampage's head is made out of a granite/titanium alloy, watch that overhand right Rashad lands early in the first round. It doesn't have the whip that the infamous shot heard round the world did on Chuck, but it is a hell of a shot. My point is, or rather my question is. Bias aside, no matter who's style you like more, or whether you think the shot will land. IF Rashad lands that bomb, do you really think Hua will Survive it, as Rampage did?

My answer will reflect my answer in the poll. No, I don't. I think Rashad will be able to control the action against Shogun, and I think he will land that shot eventually, probably while eating a leg kick in the process.

So I'm picking Rashad to once again prove that MMA match doesn't work.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
I was going to make a new thread but I'll just post this here before I give my opinion in the poll.

Knowing that Rampage's head is made out of a granite/titanium alloy, watch that overhand right Rashad lands early in the first round. It doesn't have the whip that the infamous shot heard round the world did on Chuck, but it is a hell of a shot. My point is, or rather my question is. Bias aside, no matter who's style you like more, or whether you think the shot will land. IF Rashad lands that bomb, do you really think Hua will Survive it, as Rampage did?

My answer will reflect my answer in the poll. No, I don't. I think Rashad will be able to control the action against Shogun, and I think he will land that shot eventually, probably while eating a leg kick in the process.

So I'm picking Rashad to once again prove that MMA match doesn't work.

Shogun Chin is granite he never been tko or heck i don't remember seeing him rocked ever (beside that slip vs lil nog and that was huge hit) .

about the fight , i think in a 5 rounder shogun takes it by kicking rashad legs and wearing him and finish in 4 of 5 round . in 3 rounder i'll have to go with Rashad by dry-hump .

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the one thing i have humbly learned watching more and more mma is,having good wrestling means you can dictate where the fight takes place and when that happens you have that much more chance to win. shogun needs the fight to be standing imo. rashad proved he could hang with another wrestler with ko power, shogun cant get taken down and expect to get the ko when he gets up.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
To hard to call, would hate to try and pick a winner here, Shogun seems to be more skilled in many ways, but I would certainly not write Rash off, dont know why but I never write Rash off, if I am honest I even expected him to defend his title against Machida.

The problem is if Evans does win this fight then the Title risks becoming a 3 man roundabout between Evans, Rua and Machida.

If Rash wins then his only loss is to Machida, which is something that you would expect he would have to try to put right, so you get Rash vs Machida 2, then if Machida takes the title back from Rash, how in the hell can you not have Shogun vs Machida 3, there is just no way you have to have Shogun vs Machida 3 in that situation, the guys are 1:1 in total, and with the controversy of the first victory to Machida and how impressive Shogun was in KO'ing Machida in the second fight its just a full blown cycle.

Maybe I am the only one but I really can't be ass'ed to watch this cycle evolve should it progress that way, so I just hope that Shogun defends his title and the UFC starts to develop so new No.1 contenders.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
I love how many people have jumped on Shoguns nuts because he exposed a weakness in Machida's style... He has great speed and has power in his strikes but Rashad is also very quick.

Rashad will get Shogun to the ground and will likely be able to keep him down most of the time. He will use his superior fitness to tire him out and then probably finish him with either ground and pound or standing in later rounds.

Shogun is a tough fighter but Rashad is the worst matchup for him outside of maybe Anderson Silva.

·
Banned
5,115 Posts
Honestly, people thinking rashads wrestling is going to win him a fight against rua need to wake up. You are heavily under estimating the ground game of shogun rua, heavily. He has the best ground game in the LHW division period. Rashad can take him down, rua has a choice. He can either spring back to his feetor sweep him from underneath and reverse rashad. Here he can land some brutal GNP and work his JJ.

If you look at the rampage fight, a lot of it was spent in the clinch against the cage. Aint gonna work with rua. Hes brutal close quarters in the clinch with his Mu thai knees and elbows, he would brutalise rashad in this position where as page didnt really know what to do.

Rua takes this fight how ever he wants.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I love how many people have jumped on Shoguns nuts because he exposed a weakness in Machida's style... He has great speed and has power in his strikes but Rashad is also very quick.

Rashad will get Shogun to the ground and will likely be able to keep him down most of the time. He will use his superior fitness to tire him out and then probably finish him with either ground and pound or standing in later rounds.

Shogun is a tough fighter but Rashad is the worst matchup for him outside of maybe Anderson Silva.
Like he did to Thiago Silva, and Rampage, and Bisping etc?

Dream on.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.