Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Realistically What is Left at 185 for AS

4K views 59 replies 39 participants last post by  Diokhan 
#1 ·
Lets put the fact he got killed tonight and just count the win. Who is left for him at 185? I know vitor is the likely answer but y would u just put a random dude who has done nothing at 185 in a title match.

#27 ·
Bisping..... :D

Joke...
Whats so funny, a couple more wins for Bisping and he will deserve his shot, seriously I think Akiyama will be no match for him and after that I hope they give him Sonnen or someone on those lines to set him right up for his shot that he should of had ages ago, if not for the Hendo KO he would of had his shot already, and lets be honest he did not really loose to Wandy that was a "throw the fan fav a bone" decision victory.

But I believe the number one contender will soon be Rousimar Palhares.

#11 ·
i'm not a big fan of immediate rematches, but i almost have to say that sonnen deserves one. i agree with the others who say vitor hasn't done enough to deserve the shot. vitor should have to fight the #2 mw contender, whoever that may be at this point, to determine who gets the title shot (this is assuming that chael is still the #1 contender, which i think he is).

or just give silva a little time off and let vitor fight chael for the title shot. this way we get to see chael try to earn another shot after only one fight if he wins, rather than an immediate rematch, or we'll see vitor truly earn the opportunity to fight silva.

#14 ·
i'm not a big fan of immediate rematches, but i almost have to say that sonnen deserves one. i agree with the others who say vitor hasn't done enough to deserve the shot. vitor should have to fight the #2 mw contender, whoever that may be at this point, to determine who gets the title shot (this is assuming that chael is still the #1 contender, which i think he is).

or just give silva a little time off and let vitor fight chael for the title shot. this way we get to see chael try to earn another shot after only one fight if he wins, rather than an immediate rematch, or we'll see vitor truly earn the opportunity to fight silva.
I like this idea. Vitor hasn't really proven he deserves a shot yet and it gives Sonnen a chance to prove he is still the #1 contender and a possible rematch.

#13 ·
After tonight I'm pretty sure Sonnen and Belfort are the only real threats to Anderson. Why? Well, you all know why Sonnen, but Belfort - seeing how Sonnen dropped Silva in the first, I could imagine Belfort doing the same. Belfort is much faster than Sonnen and is also known for his KO power, so with the right gameplan he could pull it off.

#15 ·
If his striking has really dropped that low.. dude should just retire. And now he's Mr. Haymaker. If was really hurt and he can come back to close to the level of movement, precision and striking he had about 6 months ago and against Forrest:

Belfort - Okami - GSP - Sonnen II - retire.

#19 ·
Belfort - I guess :confused02:

Okami - has a DQ win over Anderson, he got the DQ when he was able to get Anderson to the ground no reason to think he can't do that again.

Shields - if anything tonight proved that Jake Shields has a very good chance at beating Anderson. Wouldn't mind seeing Shields/Sonnen

GSP - obvi

Sonnen II - if he wins retire if he loses trilogy

#25 ·
Whoever puts together the wins to deserve the title shot. This is a sport you shouldn't get title shots for getting finished by the champion or for not even competing in the weight class. As it stands right now Okami probably deserves the shot the most.

#26 ·
Wanderlei, Leben, and Belcher are all probably 3(possibly 2 depending on if they finish in an exciting fashion) good fights away. I really don't want to see a Leben rematch though. Okami is probably 1 good fight away if he can finish it in an exciting fashion. He's been hammered on for not being able to finish fights, plus I think he was the last one to defeat Silva even though it was by DQ. Belfort, well I don't know what to say about that since he hasn't fought a MW yet. Guess we'll have to wait and see on that. Last I read, he was definitely getting the shot unless something has changed.

#29 · (Edited)
Is that right, when was the last time Silva was put to the test with someone who can match his speed on his feet, there is one fighter who can do that in the MW division in the UFC and it is Michael Bisping, people can hate on the guy all they like but he is still the fastest MW in the division which gives him every chance of standing with Anderson and beating him at his own game, I would love to see Anderson try to play dancing with low guard against Bisping because Bisping is exceptionally fast with exceptionally good movement.

On another note, I am fcuking deadly serious when I say if the best the UFC can offer is another rubber match for the MW title then that just proves nothing except the UFC is failing it its ability to give us the best title fights in MMA in the MW division when SF can give us Jacare vs Kennedy which I feel is a much more attractive feature that Silva vs Sonnen 1 never mind number 2.

Its sad because the Rubber Match could well happen now they have moved Nate vs Palhares so far back to a possible fight night card, because it could be to long to wait for the chance of Palhares becoming number one contender, which is the fight I would like to see Silva vs Palhares, but if he looses we are then stuck with Nate vs Silva which would just suck badly, in fact fcuk it they may as well say if Palhares wins against Nate he gets the shot, if not then fcuk Nate just give the shot to the winner of Bisping/Akiyama, or give the winner of the Bisping fight (which make no mistake will be Bisping) a fight with Nate for a garunteed title shot wich I guess will be more fair, in the mean time you could always just feed Belcher to Silva for his amusement, or better still let Silva fight soemoen at LHW like Shogun, yep that it, Super fight time Shogun vs Silva, while we wait for Nate/Palhares and Bisping/Akiyama winners to face each other for No.1 contender status.

#32 ·
I think people need to stop reading to much into this fight.
Chael fought the perfect fight for 22mins, and in terms of styles is a perfect match up for Silva - an elite wrestler with decent posture.

What happened last night has no effect what-so-ever on what would happen if Leben, Wanderlei, Vitor or Belcher fought Silva cos none of them have the same style as Chael - they would all fight the type of fight that Silva loves - i didn't think i'd be saying this but no-one at 185 stands a better chance of beating Silva than Chael.

#34 ·
1. Vitor
2. Sonnen

As much as I love Leben he is the worst matchup for Anderson. He couldn't absorb Andersons punishment the first time and the outcome will be another KO in round 1.

Harris is not ready to fight AS :confused03:

I'd like to see Okami v Belcher to decide the next contender after Vitor and Sonnen.

#40 ·
Vitor, Beltcher, and Okami are all strikers and will propably suffer the same fate as all the other strikers Silva has faced. Anderson i think will smash a 1 or 2 of them before coming back round to Sonnen if he gets 1 or 2 good wins. I would also like to see GSP step up and fight Anderson at 185.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.