Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SHORT NOTICE REMATCHES??? fair for some

ARE THEY FAIR? bj just fought edgar..and is getting a rematch very early. brock fought carwin no rematch in sight.
as fought sonnen. ne rematch in sight. i know anderson is jacked up and will need time to recover. but, dana says maybe not. thoughts on this subject please.

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts
I think it's the fact that BJ vs. Edgar went to a decision, which many saw as close. Whereas Brock finished his fight, as did Silva. I don't agree with BJ getting an immediate rematch, but I can see why Dana is giving it to him. I'd prefer, however, to see a fighter like Chael work his way back towards Anderson with a dominant performance over another tough MW like Vitor. At the end of the day, I think it's better for one's mentality. He certainly has momentum after last night's performance, and essentially cleaning out the division with a win over the only other 'dark horse' in Belfort would give him that much more drive. Let Anderson heal, whilst Chael and Vitor go to war for the number one spot.

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
I know Cheal did a good job but what is the reason for some of you to give him a rematch? Yes he did dominate AS but Carwin did the same to brock and he is not getting a rematch.

·
Premium Member
4,223 Posts
Brock/Carwin didn't go 5 rounds, that's the difference.

But I agree, only for the reason that I hate immediate rematches. You lost the fight, whether you were dominating, whether people thought you should have won, you still lost the fight. If that is the case, that fighter should need to get atleast one fight and one win under his belt...instead of 2-3 like it usually is.

Have Vitor/Anderson..and give Chael another fight. If he wins, he should get a rematch. That's how I see it. Never did like immediate rematches. Of course a guy like BJ Penn, you can believe that the guy will get a title shot in a sneeze.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I know Cheal did a good job but what is the reason for some of you to give him a rematch? Yes he did dominate AS but Carwin did the same to brock and he is not getting a rematch.
Carwin dominated Brock for 22 minutes? Try again.

Also, there are far more legitimate contenders at HW (for Lesnar) than there are at MW (for Silva).

I don't know why this is so hard to understand. I am not crying for an immediate rematch, but I am surely not against it by any means.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
The person they wanted to win didn't that is their only justification. It doesn't matter if he dominated for 22 minutes and he didn't by the way. He dominated for like 10 laid ontop of him for another 10 and got dominated for the other 2 you are counting. The cardinals didn't get a rematch because the steelers came back in the fourth quarter and won. This wasn't a controversial decision the guy got finished he was the definitive loser.

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Carwin dominated Brock for 22 minutes? Try again.

Also, there are far more legitimate contenders at HW (for Lesnar) than there are at MW (for Silva).

I don't know why this is so hard to understand. I am not crying for an immediate rematch, but I am surely not against it by any means.
why is there a double standard for division. Pretty sure no one expects a lesnar fight to go the distance. Lesnar got dominated for 5 mins out of 7 mins and 19 seconds. To me a lost is a lost no matter how it happen.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
It is all about the finish. Examples:

BJ Vs. Frankie - The fight went to the judges... I personally think Frankie did win the fight, but it wasn't convincing enough to say BJ should have to claw his way back up the ladder. BJ was the champ, and there is a championship advantage in any sport to a certain degree... I think this rematch is perfectly fair.

Silva Vs. Sonnen - Sonnen did get finished, but he did dictate the entire fight until that point... so to me Sonnen just needs one win to get back into number one contender status. As far as I'm concerned, the winner of Bisping/Akiama sounds good to me.

Brock Vs. Carwin - Carwin looked incredible in the first round, but he also showed that most likely if he fails to stop Brock again in one round the fight will end the same way. I think Carwin needs to get two more wins over top fighters to get another shot.

On the flip side of that you have Jon fitch. He had a great showing of heart and detemination against GSP, but frankly got his ass whooped. And the fall befits the climb, he's won what?? five fights/six fights in a row?? and he's just now hearing about title contention.

It's fitting I think... it's all about how the fight plays out.

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts
The person they wanted to win didn't that is their only justification.
lol, this has to be a gimmick. Has to be.

There's little reason for an immediate rematch. But there's certainly justification for an eventual rematch. Who outside of Sonnen is really going to challenge Anderson Silva to the degree we witnessed last night? Vitor? I'd love to see it, but many are already writing him off, questioning whether or not his striking and mentality are fit enough. Okami? Marquardt? He defeated one soundly, and the other is only just beginning to reinvent himself after a dominant loss to Sonnen. Wand? It'd be fun, but The Axe Murderer would fall. Akiyama? Bisping? Leben? Nothing tells me these three are ready for a title bout. Belcher? I still think he needs to fight a top name before throwing down with the champion. Gerald Harris is certainly interesting, but again, he's working his way up a long ladder.

Truth is, outside of Vitor's hand speed, there's nothing at MW that I can see which poses quite the risk to Anderson's reign as Sonnen's ground game does. Yes, Anderson overcame... but to say he wasn't challenged and on the cusp of losing everything would be absurdly biased. I'd say Anderson puts down with relative ease everyone at MW right now aside from Chael Sonnen, whom is the champion's only real legitimate threat. Sonnen is 100% a fighter we now know could defeat Anderson Silva. So why would we not want to see the most dangerous challenge? Why sit by and watch Anderson age and waste his career away fighting those lesser than himself when we could be witnessing prime Andy vs. prime Sonny part deux? Last night's main event was spectacular... why would we not want a second dose?

Not tomorrow of course... but by early 2011, I'd say it's more than warranted.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have mixed feelings about the Silva and Sonnen fight. On one hand, I figured Sonnen would get the fight to the ground and dominate Silva. Given Sonnen's posture of ground and pound (he sits straight up a lot), I figured he'd get caught in a submission... In that aspect, the fight went according to my prediction. However...

Silva has amazing cardio. He kept up with Sonnen's relentless pace and Silva kept firing back on the feet AND on the ground. People questioned his cardio, including the announcers during the fight, but I really don't think Silva was tired at all.

Also, Sonnen rocked Silva on the feet several times??? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Silva has fought several great strikers and a wrestler puts Silva on the ground with a few punches? This leads me to believe that Belfort does, in fact, have a chance (which I didn't believe before). Don't get me wrong, I think Silva will out strike Belfort for a couple of reasons. Belfort has speed and strength but isn't unorthodox in striking. Silva had to constantly worry about Sonnen's take downs and also Sonnen kinda strikes like Jardine. Now that Silva's chin has been tested, I realize that he can be knocked out. A good connection from a solid striker and I think Silva will be out, not just wobbly.

Between Belfort and Sonnen, I think Sonnen has the best chance of beating Silva. Also, I think Sonnen would beat Belfort...

·
All Around Nice Guy
10,760 Posts
I want a rematch but i wont lose sleep if he has to put a hurting on Vitor first. The reason he deserves a rematch though is because he dominated anderson for 4 and a half rounds... you dont do that with luck. 2 more minutes and we would have a new champ, its not hard to imagine that next time around he will get those 2 min.

·
Registered
305 Posts
ARE THEY FAIR? bj just fought edgar..and is getting a rematch very early. brock fought carwin no rematch in sight.
as fought sonnen. ne rematch in sight. i know anderson is jacked up and will need time to recover. but, dana says maybe not. thoughts on this subject please.
Shane Carwin doesn't deserve a rematch he got sub'd in the second round. Chael deserves a rematch and he'll probably get one but BJ is by far the most deserving. BJ was the reigning champ at LW edgar jabbed his way to a decision and anyone who has seen BJ fight before knows he was having an off night.

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
See now that i see the fight, I not sure ANderson would get dominated like this a second time. Hell if Chael can do this again to the best fighter in the world again he deserves to be the champ.

·
6,517 Posts
lol, this has to be a gimmick. Has to be.

There's little reason for an immediate rematch. But there's certainly justification for an eventual rematch. Who outside of Sonnen is really going to challenge Anderson Silva to the degree we witnessed last night? Vitor? I'd love to see it, but many are already writing him off, questioning whether or not his striking and mentality are fit enough. Okami? Marquardt? He defeated one soundly, and the other is only just beginning to reinvent himself after a dominant loss to Sonnen. Wand? It'd be fun, but The Axe Murderer would fall. Akiyama? Bisping? Leben? Nothing tells me these three are ready for a title bout. Belcher? I still think he needs to fight a top name before throwing down with the champion. Gerald Harris is certainly interesting, but again, he's working his way up a long ladder.

Truth is, outside of Vitor's hand speed, there's nothing at MW that I can see which poses quite the risk to Anderson's reign as Sonnen's ground game does. Yes, Anderson overcame... but to say he wasn't challenged and on the cusp of losing everything would be absurdly biased. I'd say Anderson puts down with relative ease everyone at MW right now aside from Chael Sonnen, whom is the champion's only real legitimate threat. Sonnen is 100% a fighter we now know could defeat Anderson Silva. So why would we not want to see the most dangerous challenge? Why sit by and watch Anderson age and waste his career away fighting those lesser than himself when we could be witnessing prime Andy vs. prime Sonny part deux? Last night's main event was spectacular... why would we not want a second dose?

Not tomorrow of course... but by early 2011, I'd say it's more than warranted.
If he wins the fights to deserve a rematch then he should get it not because people want to see it. I am only taking issue with the people who think a challenger who got finished by the champion somehow should get another shot without beating anyone else. How many fights does Okami need to win before he gets his shot he is what 9-2 in the ufc MW division? Vitor gets a shot over him for what reason? Because he punched Rich in the back of the head in a fight that wasn't even at MW.

·
Registered
769 Posts
In my opinion, Chael Sonnen's performance in last night's fight and the outcome of the fight itself is the reason why rematches were first instituted. We had one fighter dominated for four and a half rounds, then he pulls off a great submission. We need a rematch for sure.

I think Vitor should win one fight against somebody notable in the MW division (Okami? yes please). Then Vitor could take on the winner of the rematch of Sonnen / Silva.
I hate Sonnen, but I have to give him props on his amazing performance.

·
Registered
99 Posts
In my opinion, Chael Sonnen's performance in last night's fight and the outcome of the fight itself is the reason why rematches were first instituted. We had one fighter dominated for four and a half rounds, then he pulls off a great submission. We need a rematch for sure.

I think Vitor should win one fight against somebody notable in the MW division (Okami? yes please). Then Vitor could take on the winner of the rematch of Sonnen / Silva.
I hate Sonnen, but I have to give him props on his amazing performance.
I agree with this, and honestly why is Vitor getting a title shot so soon, he knocked out franklin in the first round. And that's all he has done, Chael had to win three times against some very strong fighters. Dan Miller isn't at the top of the division but he still beat him convincingly. The way he beat Okami was absolutely amazing, and the way he beat Nate was unbelievable as well.

He dominated three fights and he is by far the only fighter to ever give Anderson the fight of his life. He earned his first title shot in a very tough way and Belfort just gets the title shot. I think Sonnen should face Belfort and the winner gets Anderson that's the fairest way to decide who gets to fight Anderson.

·
Cheers.
5,341 Posts
Can't really compare BJ-Edgar to Sonnen-Silva or Lesnar-Carwin. Edgar's win was a contoversial decision, while Silva and Lesnar won decisively.

If either Anderson or Carwin get a rematch, it's a travesty. You should never get a rematch for almost winning a fight.

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
Silva is 35 yo, he doesn´t have time for rematchs and if you think about it he is gonna be out for a few months due to his injurie, so at the time he´s back he´ll be 36 or close to that. Dana´s wanna milk the cow to the most so he´ll give whatever is left outthere for him to beat before retiring.

Besides, taking your examples in consideration the only one who didnt finish the fight was Edgar and his decision W was debatable at least.

·
6,517 Posts
Silva is 35 yo, he doesn´t have time for rematchs and if you think about it he is gonna be out for a few months due to his injurie, so at the time he´s back he´ll be 36 or close to that. Dana´s wanna milk the cow to the most so he´ll give whatever is left outthere for him to beat before retiring.

Besides, taking your examples in consideration the only one who didnt finish the fight was Edgar and his decision W was debatable at least.
Penn was also the only champion to lose and there is more validity in a champion getting an instant rematch after losing than a challenger. I don't really agree with the Penn/Edgar rematch either even though I scored the fight a draw. Unless the scoring was just so completely egregious that judging corruption is an unavoidable conclusion or it was a draw there shouldn't be any instant rematches.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.