Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Any Weight, Anytime...
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Report: Kenny Florian vs Gray Maynard in the works for Aug. 28 in Boston (Updated)

by Jesse Holland on Apr 15, 2010 5:56 PM EDT

http://www.mmamania.com/2010/4/15/1424604/report-kenny-florian-vs-gray

UPDATE: Boston Herald is slamming on the brakes, presumably after getting read the proverbial riot act:

"I have to update a previous post, as I jumped to a conclusion. As of now, nothing has been signed and it should not have been reported that Kenny Florian will fight Gray Maynard in August. Apologize for the confusion and stay tuned for any updates."

All that talk about an immediate rematch between former UFC Lightweight Champion BJ Penn and newly-minted division kingpin Frankie Edgar is starting to sound more and more plausible.

That's because the Boston Herald is reporting that two-time number one contender Kenny Florian (13-4) is being paired up with the last remaining threat at 155-pounds when he battles Gray Maynard (9-0) at the UFC's upcoming show scheduled for August 28 in Boston.

"KenFlo" has been to the mountain top twice before. First against Sean Sherk in a five round unanimous decision loss at UFC 64 in 2006 and then most recently at UFC 101 in 2009 when he was choked out by ex-champ BJ Penn in Philadelphia.

He's remained unbeaten in eight other contests following his loss to "The Muscle Shark."

Star-divide

Like Florian, Maynard has been a handful for the lightweight division since graduating the fifth season of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF). "The Bully" is perfect through nine fights and even has a unanimous decision win over current champion Frankie Edgar.

It's likely that the winner of this contest will be next in line for a shot at the crown -- but will it be against "The Prodigy" or "The Answer?" Time will tell.

Keep it locked in to MMAmania.com for more updates on this story as they develop.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
HEY I WAS GONNA POST THIS!!!!

BJ doesnt deserve the rematch this fast.

It should be Maynard vs Edgar..........

This part doesnt make sense.
"KenFlo" has been to the mountain top twice before. First against Sean Sherk in a five round unanimous decision loss at UFC 64 in 2006 and then most recently at UFC 101 in 2009 when he was choked out by ex-champ BJ Penn in Philadelphia.

He's remained unbeaten in eight other contests following his loss to "The Muscle Shark."
So he's remained unbeaten but BJ beat him in 2009........ I dont get it

·
Earthquake Survivor
1,936 Posts
So he's remained unbeaten but BJ beat him in 2009........ I dont get it

So he saids that besides his loss to Penn, he's hasn't been beaten at LW since 2006.

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
this is bullshit im a bj fan but that fight didn't warrant a rematch it was edgars fight without question it's just because frankie isn't well known so dana doesn't want him as champion when bj is a big draw it's like someone said on here before it's like them going congratulations but sorry that fight doesn't count so your gonna have to fight him again

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
This is pathetic if it means BJ gets the first shot at Edgar's belt. Edgar won that fight fair and square and there are other challengers that should be getting the shot(Maynard). Let BJ have the one after that.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I wanted KenFlo to get first shot, as I think he can take Edgar to become LW champ. As dominant as BJ has been, it's hard to deny the immediate rematch though. Poor KenFlo will continue to knock down all contenders, but never get to the pinnacle.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Aww, come on! We have all these opportunities at LW now and what do they do? It's obvious Dana wants BJ to be the champ because he can market him as the P4P best LW on the planet, but to immediately give (give as in gift) him a rematch... it's just shady. Now all I can do is hope that Maynard beats Kenny and Edgar beats BJ again or else we will be back to the old less exciting LW division with BJ lightyears ahead of everyone.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
this is bullshit im a bj fan but that fight didn't warrant a rematch it was edgars fight without question it's just because frankie isn't well known so dana doesn't want him as champion when bj is a big draw it's like someone said on here before it's like them going congratulations but sorry that fight doesn't count so your gonna have to fight him again
More like they don't want Gray Maynard as champion Frankie still matches up better with BJ than with Gray.

·
Registered
603 Posts
HEY I WAS GONNA POST THIS!!!!

BJ doesnt deserve the rematch this fast.

It should be Maynard vs Edgar..........

This part doesnt make sense.

So he's remained unbeaten but BJ beat him in 2009........ I dont get it[/QUOTE

I'm thinking like this
EDGAR v's MAYNARD NEXT TITLE FIGHT
KEN FLO vs SOTIROPOLOUS for next shot at title
BJ v's NATE for following shot

·
Registered
367 Posts
I don't really like this precedent of immediate rematches that Dana White is setting. As MMA gets bigger you're going to have more close title fights like Machida/Shogun and Penn/Edgar. Fighters these days are so much better than they used to be, and as they get even better it's going to become really hard for these guys to finish each other. I'd like to see Edgar/Maynard 2 to give Frankie a chance to avenge his loss.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
Honestly i don't like it.
That means BJ-Edgar for the title?! I know it was a close decision, but i just don't wanna see the rematch. Yet!
I've always said: Florian-Edgar - a very good match up. BJ-Maynard - very interesting one. BJ would get the chance to fight a powerful wrestler.
Put both these fights on the same PPV, and you have a winner.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
Eh BJ definitely deserves an immediate rematch, as much as Shogun deserved his. Although I gave the fight to Frankie it was certainly very close, not only that but BJ is the number one LW in the world, regardless of losing to Edgar, so that makes him the number one contender also.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
The thing is, they said Maynard wasn't ready for a title shot, they can't really change their tune now just because Frankie is champ. Really that's also undermining Frankie, although he obvious doesn't see it that way because he's said he wants Maynard.

I don't think it really matters too much. All of them are in their prime, fighting regularly and things will get sorted out in the cage.

I suggest everyone stops moaning, sit back and enjoy the ride :thumb02:

·
Homicidal Maniac
6,197 Posts
so you guys think maynard deserves a title shot when he has never beat bj?

Even with putting my Penn Nuthugging aside I still have to rank him #1 contender for the title even with his loss to frankie.

If Bj did not get a immediate rematch at the very least they should have maynard/Penn and have frankie wait for the winner of that match. putting maynard ahead of Bj would be a huge slap in the face to BJ and the ranking system.

This goes for Kenny too he got dominated by BJ so there is no way he should get a title fight before Penn either.

This division is kind of messed up right now but it will be crazy messed up if penn loses again to frankie if he does that then he would be the new franklin.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts