Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Cheers.
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Matt Hughes vs. Renzo Gracie possible for UFC 109

ATO has learned through a source close to the HIT squad that Matt Hughes has been approached to face Renzo Gracie in February at UFC 109.

Renzo Gracie last competed in February 2007 when he defeated Frank Shamrock via disqualification. Gracie has won his last three fights since falling to BJ Penn in 2005. The layoff in between fights could be a problem for Gracie.

Hughes has been lying low since his big win over rival Matt Serra at UFC 98. He had signed a new seven fight deal back in September but he has yet to return to the octagon despite being called out by Josh Koscheck and other rising welterweights. Hughes is 2-3 in his last five fights and a matchup against an older fighter like Renzo could be very favorable.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, November 10th, 2009 at 10:50 pm and is filed under News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
http://www.aroundtheoctagon.com/?p=2676

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
Renzo's an amazing blanket of boredom......Please kill this guy Matt.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
I love it, seriously, i think this is awesome. Im a Hughes fan, have been for a long time. He had said something about wanting to take fights that would help his legacy not that long ago, beating multiple Gracies would add to that legacy. Renzo is not incredibly talented, but his name still holds value. I seriously hope this happens.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Wow amazing, Renzo trying to avenge brother's loss. I love it!
Renzo isn't Royces bro, I think he's his nephew or cousin or some shit.

Renzo's the man, he's a true fighter and unlike Royce/Rickosn never ducked any-one or picked any opponents.

I'd love to see him smash Hughes then go on to take the WW title... It's never gonna happen, but a man can dream can't he??

·
12,900 Posts
Oh this is going to be fun! Serra's instructor is going to take care of business...

·
Takedown, Dominate & Destroy
2,060 Posts
7 fights? Jeez...can he really duck the AKA guys for 7 fights?
Koscheck and the other AKA guys allready said they were only joking round and have no interest in fighting Hughes. It was basicly to get under Hughes skin. I Doubt those fights will be happening anytime soon TBH.

·
Premium Member
5,224 Posts
Renzo isn't Royces bro, I think he's his nephew or cousin or some shit.

Renzo's the man, he's a true fighter and unlike Royce/Rickosn never ducked any-one or picked any opponents.

I'd love to see him smash Hughes then go on to take the WW title... It's never gonna happen, but a man can dream can't he??
Brazilians are all related in some sort of way, and all 'bros' when they're named 'Gracie'. ;)

I too would like to see Renzo make a run at WW but he'll be a gatekeeper at best imo.

·
12,900 Posts
Let him fight Nate. I'm sure Marquardt wouldn't mind some revenge for that kick to the face.
You gotta admit that was kinda funny though. He went after Almeida after he lost, guess he learned to be gracious against Maia.

·
Registered
407 Posts
i will make sure im sleeping before the fight:sarcastic12::sarcastic12:

matt should stick to picking corn feeding chickens and milking cows.:thumb02:

·
Cheers.
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You gotta admit that was kinda funny though. He went after Almeida after he lost, guess he learned to be gracious against Maia.
He went after Almeida because he tapped and Almeida held the choke for quite some time afterward.

Maybe it wasn't the sporting thing to do, but if I was in that position I might do the same things.

This a great fight for Hughes. He should be able to dominate thoroughly and bring back flashbacks to when he was champ.
Yeah, this fight is smart from a marketing perspective. You bring in another Gracie who's a more well-rounded fighter, build up the whole revenge angle. And then when Hughes beats Renzo down -- and looks good doing it -- he gets some hype back heading into future fights.

And hey, if Renzo surprises and looks good in there, then that only gives you more match-making possibilities.

·
Registered
179 Posts
There is no way in hell Hughes is stopping Renzo. No way.

Renzo is the man. I can see him losing a decision but I'll be cheering all the way.

I highly suggest to everybody on this forum to watch the Renzo Gracie documentary if you haven't alrdy. The guy is the most likeable and decent chap in MMA that I've seen. Maybe up there with Don Frye.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts