Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Report -- Matt Hughes-Renzo Gracie possible for UFC 109

2K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  dudeabides 
#1 ·

Matt Hughes vs. Renzo Gracie possible for UFC 109

ATO has learned through a source close to the HIT squad that Matt Hughes has been approached to face Renzo Gracie in February at UFC 109.

Renzo Gracie last competed in February 2007 when he defeated Frank Shamrock via disqualification. Gracie has won his last three fights since falling to BJ Penn in 2005. The layoff in between fights could be a problem for Gracie.

Hughes has been lying low since his big win over rival Matt Serra at UFC 98. He had signed a new seven fight deal back in September but he has yet to return to the octagon despite being called out by Josh Koscheck and other rising welterweights. Hughes is 2-3 in his last five fights and a matchup against an older fighter like Renzo could be very favorable.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, November 10th, 2009 at 10:50 pm and is filed under News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
http://www.aroundtheoctagon.com/?p=2676

#8 ·
Renzo isn't Royces bro, I think he's his nephew or cousin or some shit.

Renzo's the man, he's a true fighter and unlike Royce/Rickosn never ducked any-one or picked any opponents.

I'd love to see him smash Hughes then go on to take the WW title... It's never gonna happen, but a man can dream can't he??

#5 ·
Renzo's an amazing blanket of boredom......Please kill this guy Matt.

#6 ·
I love it, seriously, i think this is awesome. Im a Hughes fan, have been for a long time. He had said something about wanting to take fights that would help his legacy not that long ago, beating multiple Gracies would add to that legacy. Renzo is not incredibly talented, but his name still holds value. I seriously hope this happens.

#10 ·
Koscheck and the other AKA guys allready said they were only joking round and have no interest in fighting Hughes. It was basicly to get under Hughes skin. I Doubt those fights will be happening anytime soon TBH.

#15 ·
You gotta admit that was kinda funny though. He went after Almeida after he lost, guess he learned to be gracious against Maia.

#19 ·
There is no way in hell Hughes is stopping Renzo. No way.

Renzo is the man. I can see him losing a decision but I'll be cheering all the way.

I highly suggest to everybody on this forum to watch the Renzo Gracie documentary if you haven't alrdy. The guy is the most likeable and decent chap in MMA that I've seen. Maybe up there with Don Frye.

#22 ·
Renzo has a huge record of bare knuckle fighting in Brazillian MMA where exact stats and numbers aren't known, but let's just say, he's had with some of the naughtiest people about.

If anybody is thinking this is gonna be as easy the Royce fight has got another thing coming!

I'm sticking nitros to the back of this bandwagon boys.

Get on board!

#24 ·
Hughes has confirmed the fight with Renzo will happen at UFC 112:

"I didn't know if I could say anything about my next fight, but I see that Dana has let the cat out of the bag. So I can tell you what I know, on April 10 I will be fighting Renzo Gracie in Abu Dhabi. I haven't signed any paperwork and I don't think Renzo has either; but I think this fight is going to happen. That's all I know, serious training will start for me at the new year." - Matt Hughes

Former 9-time UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes confirms an upcoming showdown with fellow MMA legend Renzo Gracie. The fight is tentatively scheduled to take place in Abu Dhabi at UFC 112 on April 10.

Hughes (43-7) is coming off of a win against bitter rival Matt Serra at UFC 98 back in March. The win capped a sub-par five-fight stretch in which the former long-time champion went a disappointing 2-3; losing twice to current welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre and dropping a tough loss to top contender Thiago Alves over that span.

Gracie (13-6-1) hasn't fought since earning a disqualification victory over Frank Shamrock back in February of 2007. The 42-year-old MMA pioneer holds other notable victories over Oleg Taktarov, Maurice Smith, Pat Miletich and Carlos Newton. He is the son of Robson Gracie, grandson of Carlos Gracie, nephew of Carlos Gracie, Jr. and grand-nephew of legendary Brazilian jiu-jitsu creator Helio Gracie.
http://www.fiveknuckles.com/mma-new...s-match-up-with-Renzo-Gracie-for-UFC-112.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.