Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Report: Murray Sentenced 10 Years in Moroccan Jail

2K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  kantowrestler 
#1 ·
Report: Murray Sentenced 10 Years in Moroccan Jail
Tuesday, June 01, 2010
by Sherdog.com Staff

Former UFC middleweight Lee Murray has been sentenced to 10 years in a Morocco prison following his involvement in Britain’s largest bank heist ever, reports the BBC News.

Murray is said to have masterminded the £53 million ($77 million) robbery of Kent Securitas depot in Tonbridge, England, in February 2006, then fled to Morocco, where he also has citizenship (Murray’s father is Moroccan).

According to the article, Kent officers began working with Moroccan authorities when it was established that Murray could not be extradited back to the U.K. to stand trial.

Murray, who submitted Jorge Rivera with a first-round armbar at UFC 48 and went the distance with middleweight champion Anderson Silva at Cage Rage 8 in 2004, was incarcerated in Morocco, but released and re-captured while officials determined where he could be tried.

The 30-year-old Murray, who survived a 2005 stabbing, is also known for his July 2002 street fight involving former UFC champion Tito Ortiz outside a London nightclub following UFC 38.

According to BBC News, Murray left authorities key evidence that helped lead to his arrest when he crashed his car a few days before the robbery and fled the scene with his cell phone still in the vehicle. Murray accidentally recorded a phone conversation about the heist with an accomplice, which was used by prosecutors, said BBC News.

Police have recovered £21 million from the arrest, where 14 Securitas staff were held at gunpoint by the group of robbers.

A Sports Illustrated article about Murray has been optioned by Time-Life Inc., for a potential film.
Only 10 years! Murray got off easy!

#2 ·
I think 10 years is more then enough for him! He didn't killed anyone. And he serves the time in a Morrocon Jail.. that's like 30 years over here in our 5 Star accommodations^^

But do you guys really believe, that he was truly the mastermind from all this?? I could have never expected something like this from a guy like Murray. He never came of to me who could mastermind the biggest bank robbery in history! Was that really proven? Or did his accomplices just named him, cause he was the famous one??

I really hope they do a Movie about his life story :thumbsup:

Sad that there wasn't a happy end for him!

#3 ·
hope he dies there :mad: people like that should not get freedom, he STOLE from people who are actually working hard to make a living. He STOLE from people's life savings that put food on the table. He could have taken both livliehoods and lives. Should have been executed.

I would tie his hands behind his back and put him in a fight against Rampage, with Mazzigatti in a blindfold as ref.

#5 ·
Thats not true at all!

Bank robbers are probably the best and most likeable criminals out there, if of course they don't hurt or kill people by doing the robbery.
When you put your Money to the Bank and it get's robbed from Bank Robbers, then you don't lose a penny. You have an insurance on your Money for a case like that. You lose nothing. The only loser is the Bank itself.

Murders get 10 years.. Bank Robbers should get under 5 or less in my mind, (if of course they don't hurt or kill people by doing so).

I am always on there side! :thumbsup: We are getting cheated every day on our money.. so a Bank Robbery here and there is just fair!

#9 ·
I believe the insurance is about 100k or something :confused02: but I am not quite sure. But 100k is a lot! And when a Bank Robbery happens, unless it isn't Lee Murray and his mastermind :p they never take 100 Million with them. Mostly around 10-30 Million or far less. So Bank Robberys should actually never affect us personally. So I really have nothing against them at all! They try something very risky and should get some reward from time to time.

So I call them the Robin Hoods for themself^^ But we get to read the amazing Newspapers and the Televison coverage for a couple of days. That's enough excitment and joy!

#10 ·
I believe the insurance is about 100k or something :confused02: but I am not quite sure. But 100k is a lot! And when a Bank Robbery happens, unless it isn't Lee Murray and his mastermind :p they never take 100 Million with them. Mostly around 10-30 Million or far less. So Bank Robberys should actually never affect us personally. So I really have nothing against them at all! They try something very risky and should get some reward from time to time.

So I call them the Robin Hoods for themself^^ But we get to read the amazing Newspapers and the Televison coverage for a couple of days. That's enough excitment and joy!
Murray and his buddies got a reward alright. Just not the kind of reward they were hoping for.:thumb02:

#17 ·
Best Mma Fighters To Have A Movie Made About Theire Lives

Nick diaz (not yet)
ken shamrock
kimbo slice
shogun
anderson silva
LEE MURRAY TAKES THE CAKE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.