Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Title Guy
18,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a long career, Frank Shamrock has called it quits. His reasoning being that he's had too many injuries and that he wants to spend time with his family. Shamrock's list of accomplishments included:
-Former Interim King of Pancrease
-First UFC Middleweight(later Lightheavyweight)Champion
-First and Former WEC Lightheavyweight Champion
-First and Fomer Strikeforce Middleweight Champion
-Former WCK Submission Champion
-Former Contenders Lightheavyweight Champion
-Former IFL Coach
-Founder of the American Kickboxing Academy
Also interesting that Frank is retiring before his older adopted brother Ken. Maybe Frank is actually smarter!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I would have loved to see more Frank Shamrock fights, but it was a good decision from his part. I'm sure his body is well enough to compete but it can't be 100% and he could get hurt. Like he said he will keep helping MMA grow with his mouth instead of his fist.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
Fun Fact......Frank Shamrock defeated Bas Rutten in his first professional MMA fight.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Frank was a true force in the sport who was responsible for a lot of great fights and a lot of great fighters. Its kind of a shame that the whole Fedor thing has really overshadowed the exit of a true legend like Frank.

·
Registered
239 Posts
It would have been nice if he could have avenged his loss to Cung Le before retiring, but oh well.

·
Cheers.
5,341 Posts
Man, Frank's weird.

I've been a fan of the guy a long time, but his comments at the press conference -- not to mention his gestures -- were just plain strange.

He said he wishes the sport was more evolved when he got into it, because he hurt himself learning the game. Then he did a bunch of weird "I dunno..." shrugging.

He said his proudest moment -- that's right, proudest -- was quitting the UFC, because "I truly didn't believe what they were doing was martial arts." (more shrugging) Uhhhh....pretty sure Frank left over money, at a time when there was no money to pay him. So "martial arts" means getting your money cheque? Time for me to shrug.

Man, Frank in his day was great, but he's such a strange dude. It's like he lives in some weird fantasy land that only he understands.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I don't think so!

Well, I contend that had Frank not taken the fight so lightly, and had not refused to even attempt to go to the ground so as to prove he could stand with Cung, then the fight could of ended differently...

I know Cung is an excellent wrestler, but i think with the type of strikes he throws there is a high possibility Frank could of caught him off balance and got the TD. Once on the ground, he would of had a clear advantage!

Not that it matters, but a more sensible game plan on Franks part really could of made a difference.

Either way, i was always a big fan of both the Shamrock brothers, and would always defend some of their more ...questionnable...antics. Thanks for everything Frank :thumb02:

·
Registered
453 Posts
He mentioned in the Cung/Smith fight on Saturday, that he tried to take Cung down but failed so hard that he did not even thought about getting this guy down even ones.
Well then i stand corrected :thumb02: i think i might watch the fight again now.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
Frank was a true force in the sport who was responsible for a lot of great fights and a lot of great fighters. Its kind of a shame that the whole Fedor thing has really overshadowed the exit of a true legend like Frank.
I agree.
Too much talk about Fedor's loss atm.
It's simple...Fedor will fight again.
Frank won't.
I hoped more people would pay a written trinute to one of the most entertaining fighters ever.
Respect Frak Shamrock!:thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts