Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
All Around Nice Guy
10,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Round 1 - They both square off but you get the feeling Silva will dominate him. Chael ends up landing a straight that almost drops silva but not quiet. They keep trading and Silva gets caught again. Now for some reason that i still cant figure out he puts his hand down and lets Chael hit him 2-3 more times before Chael shoots and gets a double leg. Chael from here dominates Silva and lands alot of big shots from the top. 10-9 or 10-8 Chael (Changing it because i agree with both scores)

Round 2 - Chael moving forward they exchange for a short time before Chael takes Silva down at will. From here he goes to beat the crap out of him BUT not landing anything huge and the round ends. 10-9 Chael

Round 3 - Round 3 very similar to round 2. 10-9 Chael

Round 4 - Chael moves forward as normal but Silva comes out with some kind of jumping kick. Silva ends up throwing a vicious elbow that buckles Chael but he ends up standing on his feet right away. Silva continues the attack while Chael tries to fire back but nothing lands. Chael clearly in danger ends up going for a shot in which Silva sprawls and reverses it thus ending up on top of Chael. Chael reverses his position and ends up on top of silva. Here Chael goes to beating on Anderson until the round ends BUT he doesnt land anything big. 10-9 Chael

Round 5 - Chael goes for a takedown but Silva avoids it. Chael then ends up landing a shot that drops silva but it looks like its more of a slip then an actual knockdown. Chael gets on top and landing more shots. He manages to land some good shots to the body and to the side of the head of Anderson in this round. Anderson land a good right hand from the bottom but the others miss. Chael keeps throwing small shots to Anderson and out of no where Anderson throws up a Triangle Choke. Sonnen looks like he might be able to get out because he throws his leg over but then ends up tapping. Rewatching it i believe that he tapped ONCE then changed his mind but it was too late.

Anderson Silva wins...

IMO rematch ASAP.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Round 1 - They both square off but you get the feeling Silva will dominate him. Chael ends up landing a straight that almost drops silva but not quiet. They keep trading and Silva gets caught again. Now for some reason that i still cant figure out he puts his hand down and lets Chael hit him 2-3 more times before Chael shoots and gets a double leg. Chael from here dominates Silva and lands alot of big shots from the top. 10-9 Chael

Round 2 - Chael moving forward they exchange for a short time before Chael takes Silva down at will. From here he goes to beat the crap out of him BUT not landing anything huge and the round ends. 10-9 Chael

Round 4 - Chael moves forward as normal but Silva comes out with some kind of jumping kick. Silva ends up throwing a vicious elbow that buckles Chael but he ends up standing on his feet right away. Silva continues the attack while Chael tries to fire back but nothing lands. Chael clearly in danger ends up going for a shot in which Silva sprawls and reverses it thus ending up on top of Chael. Chael reverses his position and ends up on top of silva. Here Chael goes to beating on Anderson until the round ends BUT he doesnt land anything big. 10-9 Chael

Round 5 - Chael goes for a takedown but Silva avoids it. Chael then ends up landing a shot that drops silva but it looks like its more of a slip then an actual knockdown. Chael gets on top and landing more shots. He manages to land some good shots to the body and to the side of the head of Anderson in this round. Anderson land a good right hand from the bottom but the others miss. Chael keeps throwing small shots to Anderson and out of no where Anderson throws up a Triangle Choke. Chonnen looks like he might be able to get out because he throws his leg over but then ends up tapping. Rewatching it i believe that he tapped ONCE then changed his mind but it was too late.

Anderson Silva wins...

IMO rematch ASAP.
AMEN............

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
The first round was really ******* weird Anderson wasn't even trying to defend a lot of the time on the ground either. He was a completely different fighter from the third round on. Maybe he just needed his adrenaline to kick in and block out the pain from the broken ribs but that doesn't explain the first really.

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Round 1 - They both square off but you get the feeling Silva will dominate him. Chael ends up landing a straight that almost drops silva but not quiet. They keep trading and Silva gets caught again. Now for some reason that i still cant figure out he puts his hand down and lets Chael hit him 2-3 more times before Chael shoots and gets a double leg. Chael from here dominates Silva and lands alot of big shots from the top. 10-9 Chael

Round 5 - Chael goes for a takedown but Silva avoids it. Chael then ends up landing a shot that drops silva but it looks like its more of a slip then an actual knockdown. Chael gets on top and landing more shots. He manages to land some good shots to the body and to the side of the head of Anderson in this round. Anderson land a good right hand from the bottom but the others miss. Chael keeps throwing small shots to Anderson and out of no where Anderson throws up a Triangle Choke. Chonnen looks like he might be able to get out because he throws his leg over but then ends up tapping. Rewatching it i believe that he tapped ONCE then changed his mind but it was too late.

Anderson Silva wins...

IMO rematch ASAP.
No joke he wanted to test out his power. Anderson Silva is a different breed of fighter and champion. He wants a true challenge and he actually got it surprisingly from Chael.

Check this video out and you'll know what I'm talking about. If he can take the full brunt of his power and shake it off then that "usually" breaks your opponent mentally. Kind of like with Carwin against Brock. Carwin was tired, but look at him after the round was over on his stool. He was dumbfounded...and demoralized...

Skip to 7:25 and you'll see Anderson Silva testing out Jorge's power in the clinch.

Reactions: Zemelya and Rusko

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
I havent re-watched yet, but I scored the 3 first rounds 10-8 Sonnen. 4th I had 10-9 Sonnen.

I mean, If the first 3 rounds Isnt a 10-8, then what Is?
The first was a legitimate 10-8 the second and third weren't you have to do a ton of damage as well as have the round be one sided to get a 10-8 in mma.

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
Yeah that was a crazy fight, all props to Anderson to finish the non finisher

·
All Around Nice Guy
10,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I havent re-watched yet, but I scored the 3 first rounds 10-8 Sonnen. 4th I had 10-9 Sonnen.

I mean, If the first 3 rounds Isnt a 10-8, then what Is?
I was very close to scoring round 1 10-8 for Chael but then i thought of Tito vs Forrest 2 (round 3) and i decided it wasnt as one sided as that round was. Still a VERY 1 sided round and i dont blame anyone for scoring it 10-8. Round 2 and 3 though Dominating he doesnt land anything HUGE and Silva tries to fire back from the bottom which is why i say 10-9.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Interesting thread.

This might sound a bit off, but to me it looked like the cut over Chael's left eye caused the distraction that Silva capitalized on.

I am just rewatching the fight, and as Chael is going out the fifth round, the cut looks pretty deep...

With a little over 3 minutes left of the fight, Chael is in Silva's guard and peppering his- at this point-passive opponent with rabbitpunches along with a few power punches.

Silva then connects with a sharp elbow at about 3 minutes, which makes Sonnen's facial expression shift momentarily, from focused to in pain.
Silva then becomes more active from the bottom and begins to annoy him with touching the cut and punching towards the cut.

Sonnen leans back to avoid it and punches to the body. Silva catches him again with a punch from the bottom at 2:13. Sonnen tries to protect the cut with his arm, then rest his head in Silva's body while covering his head with his arm.

THEN Silva catches him with the triangle. Overinterpretation or correct observation?

Reactions: kiLzeD

·
All Around Nice Guy
10,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting thread.

This might sound a bit off, but to me it looked like the cut over Chael's left eye caused the distraction that Silva capitalized on.

I am just rewatching the fight, and as Chael is going out the fifth round, the cut looks pretty deep...

With a little over 3 minutes left of the fight, Chael is in Silva's guard and peppering his- at this point-passive opponent with rabbitpunches along with a few power punches.

Silva then connects with a sharp elbow at about 3 minutes, which makes Sonnen's facial expression shift momentarily, from focused to in pain.
Silva then becomes more active from the bottom and begins to annoy him with touching the cut and punching towards the cut.

Sonnen leans back to avoid it and punches to the body. Silva catches him again with a punch from the bottom at 2:13. Sonnen tries to protect the cut with his arm, then rest his head in Silva's body while covering his head with his arm.

THEN Silva catches him with the triangle. Overinterpretation or correct observation?
Could be the truth.. i personally thought the right that Anderson Landed had him rocked somewhat which made him easier to get caught. I just wonder how dominant Chael would be if he trained BJJ his whole life.... He has to be kicking himself right now because he thinks BJJ is gay.

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Could be the truth.. i personally thought the right that Anderson Landed had him rocked somewhat which made him easier to get caught. I just wonder how dominant Chael would be if he trained BJJ his whole life.... He has to be kicking himself right now because he thinks BJJ is gay.
he would have been great but problem is if he trained BJJ was his wrestling be this good?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Yeah. He def needs to train more BJJ. Most of his losses have been subs.

Anyway, I recommend everyone to go and rewatch the fight and see for yourself how big a role that cut had. I personally feel it had a big part.

Nevertheless, Silva's superior experience and groundgame were also determining factors.

http://www.fighthymn.net/

·
All Around Nice Guy
10,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah. He def needs to train more BJJ. Most of his losses have been subs.

Anyway, I recommend everyone to go and rewatch the fight and see for yourself how big a role that cut had. I personally feel it had a big part.

Nevertheless, Silva's superior experience and groundgame were also determining factors.

http://www.fighthymn.net/
Superior Ground game??? I hardly think thats the case here. Chael proved that he is FAR superior to Silva on the ground. Silva proved that Chael needs to only slip up for a second to get caught in a submission... how likely it is to happen again i dont know. Even when Silva was on Top Chael proved he far superior on the ground becasue he reversed him in an instant.

But i guess this is how you define ground game. If it is Jiu Jitsu?? Then yeah. If it is overall then i think we have to give the nod to Chael here.

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Chael did something no one has done right out the gate he pressed. Silva did not get that minute to feel his opponent out. I think that cut had nothing to do with it, in the nate fight he had a worst cut but still managed to keep his composure and won.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Superior Ground game??? I hardly think thats the case here. Chael proved that he is FAR superior to Silva on the ground. Silva proved that Chael needs to only slip up for a second to get caught in a submission... how likely it is to happen again i dont know. Even when Silva was on Top Chael proved he far superior on the ground becasue he reversed him in an instant.

But i guess this is how you define ground game. If it is Jiu Jitsu?? Then yeah. If it is overall then i think we have to give the nod to Chael here.
By groundgame I mean BJJ, not wrestling. Yes Chael got caught, no question. Grapplingwise, Chael dominated most of the fight, absolutely.
Anderson superior BJJ experience, along with the bottom strikes towards the cut seemed to settle the deal imo.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
If there's anything we learned from this fight it's that the recipe to defeating Anderson Silva is to push the pace and take him down while having good BJJ defense and awareness. Chael had the first two pieces down but unfortunately lacks the third part. Someone like GSP, though, could definitely put the recipe to work and defeat Silva IMO.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Chael pummeled and dominated Silva convincingly for 4 1/2 rounds, yet got caught and submitted in the end. It wasn't a close fight, but yet the finish was not controversial either. Not sure we've ever seen a title fight end quite like this. I'm ok with an immediate rematch, but I'm also ok if he doesn't get one. :dunno:

·
All Around Nice Guy
10,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Chael pummeled and dominated Silva convincingly for 4 1/2 rounds, yet got caught and submitted in the end. It wasn't a close fight, but yet the finish was not controversial either. Not sure we've ever seen a title fight end quite like this. I'm ok with an immediate rematch, but I'm also ok if he doesn't get one. :dunno:
Thats probably the most irritating part for me. Having Silva WIN after a complete 1 sided fight with Chael swinging the hammer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Round 1 - They both square off but you get the feeling Silva will dominate him. Chael ends up landing a straight that almost drops silva but not quiet. They keep trading and Silva gets caught again. Now for some reason that i still cant figure out he puts his hand down and lets Chael hit him 2-3 more times before Chael shoots and gets a double leg. Chael from here dominates Silva and lands alot of big shots from the top. 10-9 or 10-8 Chael (Changing it because i agree with both scores)

Round 5 - Chael goes for a takedown but Silva avoids it. Chael then ends up landing a shot that drops silva but it looks like its more of a slip then an actual knockdown. Chael gets on top and landing more shots. He manages to land some good shots to the body and to the side of the head of Anderson in this round. Anderson land a good right hand from the bottom but the others miss. Chael keeps throwing small shots to Anderson and out of no where Anderson throws up a Triangle Choke. Sonnen looks like he might be able to get out because he throws his leg over but then ends up tapping. Rewatching it i believe that he tapped ONCE then changed his mind but it was too late.

Anderson Silva wins...

IMO rematch ASAP.
I think Silva has been training way to much with the Nogueira brothers, it seems as he is developing the style of taking shots and submitting LOL

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.