Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what is the purpose of these guys still fighting. Like the LHW,MW division has evolved so much that these guys are non factor anymore. Are these guys just fighting for the money or are they still trying to become a champion? Do you guys think any of these guys will become a champion or are they done? I know Chuck is done but Rich and Forrest are relatively young but the competition to to talented for them to compete.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
For all the other golfers not named Tiger Woods, are they supposed to retire because he was so good 1-2 years ago? I know its a totally different sport but the same thing applies.

Obviously these guys enjoy the sport and the money, otherwise they would move onto something else. You can only do a job for so long that you dont like before it starts wearing you down.

·
Fruits & Vegetables
2,580 Posts
Just because they may not be top 5 fighters, doesn't meant they can't still put on exciting and competitive fights.

Just because Forrest got demolished by Silva, and Chuck got KTFO by Rashad and TKOed vs Shogun (The best LHW and current champ) Everyone assumes that they have no place in the division.

2 Years ago Griffen beat Rampage who is now fighting for #1 contender-ship after a year layoff (I think that's accurate)... I think both fighters are still very game, and wouldn't be completely surprised if they would pull an upset on the top 5-3 guys. (Jackson, Evans, and possibly Nog.)

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
Everyone who steps in the octagon wants to be champion and believes they can be. If they didn't they would be fools to get in the cage.

Who would you have in the ufc? just the top 5 in each division? ...be hard to put on many good shows with just them. How would you even determine who they are?

ufc owes every man you named. Especially Chuck and Tito. They put in the work and fought for peanuts. They carried the ufc through some dark times.

I'll pay to see them fight, even if it's just each other.

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
Chuck and Tito. Yes

Franklin and Forrest no. Franklin is still a top 5 fighter at MW and is borderline top10 at LHW.

Forrest, probably will never hold a title again, but he puts on exciting fights and makes a good gatekeeper.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Franklin and Griffin are a LONG way from retirement. They'll never be title contenders again but they're good gatekeepers.

I can see where you're coming with Chuck and DEFINITELY see where you're coming from with Tito. Chuck's fight with Franklin will determine if he should have stayed in retirement and Ortiz shouldn't even be in the UFC anymore. Ortiz isn't old, his fighting style is just awful.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I like how Franklin is past his prime when his only MW losses are to one guy. If you lift A. Silva out of the picture, Franklin and Vitor would be constantly fighting for the 1 and 2 slots. No one else in that division can beat Franklin

·
Registered
305 Posts
Forrest is still a great fighter I don't care what anyone says, losing to Anderson Silva shouldn't change anything. Once Forrest gets back in there with some top competition he'll prove it to the world once again. Its cool though thats the way he likes it and it motivates him to fight his best.

·
Curitiba Food and Liquor
16,175 Posts
Because they're great fighters and elite athletes whose attempts, with varying degrees of success, to evolve with their sport still makes for great fights.

·
I Finish Threads
9,061 Posts
Just wondering what is the purpose of these guys still fighting. Like the LHW,MW division has evolved so much that these guys are non factor anymore. Are these guys just fighting for the money or are they still trying to become a champion? Do you guys think any of these guys will become a champion or are they done? I know Chuck is done but Rich and Forrest are relatively young but the competition to to talented for them to compete.
Forrest beat the current LHW champ decisively AND held the LHW title recently. How is he unable to compete? Losing to Rashad and especially Silva is not disgraceful or indicative of in inability to hang with the tough guys. I think there is a possibility of him holding a title again.

Rich is still beating former champs and A-level talent and I think he can hang with almost anyone at 185, and quite possibly 205 as well. I doubt we'll see him hold another title but you never know, Andy has talked about retirement and I don't think the Vitor fight proved anything but that anyone can get clipped- I believe his skills and chin are as solid as ever.

Chuck is definitely on the decline, and I don't see him holding any title again unless most of the top LHW's die in a fire during a signing or something. But even so, that's no reason not to continue fighting. There are still interesting matchups out there for him, he has a fanbase and is a real draw still.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Just because they may not be top 5 fighters, doesn't meant they can't still put on exciting and competitive fights.

Just because Forrest got demolished by Silva, and Chuck got KTFO by Rashad and TKOed vs Shogun (The best LHW and current champ) Everyone assumes that they have no place in the division.

2 Years ago Griffen beat Rampage who is now fighting for #1 contender-ship after a year layoff (I think that's accurate)... I think both fighters are still very game, and wouldn't be completely surprised if they would pull an upset on the top 5-3 guys. (Jackson, Evans, and possibly Nog.)
Comments like the one's described annoy me, it's crazy , a guy has a loss or losses against the highest ranked opponents on the planet, and all of a sudden they're has been's.
If you ask 99% of fighters at LHW, is Chuck still a competitor they'll say yeah, because they all know you make a mistake against him you'll go to sleep.

As for Forrest he lost to ANDERSON SILVA, arguably the best fighter in MMA today, and all of a sudden he's a nobody, it's not as if these guys have lost against any cans.
If they had I could understand it, as for the older guys like Renzo, Coleman,Shamrock I think it's primarily a case of not being able to let go of the sport they love, even if they realistically know they're never going to achieve the same again, as they are true fighters and don't want to give up without a battle.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Comments like the one's described annoy me, it's crazy , a guy has a loss or losses against the highest ranked opponents on the planet, and all of a sudden they're has been's.
If you ask 99% of fighters at LHW, is Chuck still a competitor they'll say yeah, because they all know you make a mistake against him you'll go to sleep.

As for Forrest he lost to ANDERSON SILVA, arguably the best fighter in MMA today, and all of a sudden he's a nobody, it's not as if these guys have lost against any cans.
If they had I could understand it, as for the older guys like Renzo, Coleman,Shamrock I think it's primarily a case of not being able to let go of the sport they love, even if they realistically know they're never going to achieve the same again, as they are true fighters and don't want to give up without a battle.
I think Coleman and Shamrock still fight because they are broke and need money. They are both way to far past it(and both know it), to be fighting for any reason except that they are broke as hell.

·
MMA Patriot
4,003 Posts
I like how Franklin is past his prime when his only MW losses are to one guy. If you lift A. Silva out of the picture, Franklin and Vitor would be constantly fighting for the 1 and 2 slots. No one else in that division can beat Franklin
Yeah I agree when you look at his losses it's not that bad. Silva machida belfort and hendo. And then hen do fight many people think rich won also the belforght fight he just got caught. So the two big losses in his career are agains silva who is just a beast and machida who he fought aery in he's career an since then has improved. Now I am not going to call him a title conteder at this point but he still has allot of fights left in him.

·
Let Me Bang Bro
1,967 Posts
Because they are fun to watch. Id rather see there fights than a Jon Fitch fight.

·
Premium Member
9,481 Posts
Tito Ortiz needs to retire or be cut from the UFC, he hasn't won a fight since 2006. His last fight that he was decisive against a legit guy with was Patrick Cote in 2004. I think it's a shame they cut Coleman and are threatening to cut Kimbo because those are the guys Ortiz should be fighting now.

Forrest is on the other side of the spectrum, he's one well placed win away from a title shot. The next LHW title fight may very well be between two guys that Forrest beat.

Franklin/Liddell might be the last fight for Liddell, I think Franklin can suvive a loss but I'm not sure about Chuck.

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
Tito Ortiz needs to retire or be cut from the UFC, he hasn't won a fight since 2006. His last fight that he was decisive against a legit guy with was Patrick Cote in 2004. I think it's a shame they cut Coleman and are threatening to cut Kimbo because those are the guys Ortiz should be fighting now.

Forrest is on the other side of the spectrum, he's one well placed win away from a title shot. The next LHW title fight may very well be between two guys that Forrest beat.

Franklin/Liddell might be the last fight for Liddell, I think Franklin can suvive a loss but I'm not sure about Chuck.
This fight should be a walk in the park for Franklin. Chuck's gonna look for the knockout. Franklin is going to out strategy him and out class him in everything except KO power.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.