Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Video here: http://www.mirror.co.uk/most-popular/2010/06/02/ric-flair-exclusive-video-interview-mma-fans-got-nothing-going-on-themselves-and-are-living-vicariously-for-something-they-can-never-be-115875-22304832/

Seems to have a certain amount of respect for the sport but not its fans by saying "are living vicariously for something they can never be".

I can translate that part for you all: "I don't know what the hell I'm talking about and am criticising MMA fans for no good reason" :thumb02:

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
I think he is right about most of the Fans too! The majority of them do suck. I hope that will change when the Sport developes.

But I believe MMA gives the Fans and public something, what Pro Wrestling could never do, it just doesn't have the power and magic behind it.
A spur to make something out of your life. To start training Martial Arts yourself or just to get in good shape and live a healthy life.

I think MMA gives us so many positive things where however Pro Wrestling just can not spread the same amount of positive Energy and messages that MMA has.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you guys even watch the vid?

He didn't mention fans boo'ing or being clueless about the sport, he said they are living for something they cannot do themselves.

From that I gather he thinks there is no amatuer or lower level MMA, and fans don't train MMA because it's too full on.

He's talking crap.

·
WIDE OPEN
3,973 Posts
he's not talking smack at all, haha. he says wrestling fans do the same thing, that is the point. he is more giving props to the athletes than insulting the sport.

that being said, Ric has said some pretty stupid things in the past and it's not like I'll take his side just because he is the nature boy. but in this case, no foul.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
He didn't mention fans boo'ing or being clueless about the sport, he said they are living for something they cannot do themselves.

He's talking crap.
I don't think he is talking crap at all! There are so many wannabe MMA fighters out there today, who think they could compete on an amatuer level just because they trained for 2 months in MMA. And not to mention all those bare knuckle fighters in the backyards today. Most of them are delusional in my mind!

But on the other side MMA gives you an attraction to make something out of your life wich Pro Wrestling can not do.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think he is talking crap at all! There are so many wannabe MMA fighters out there today, who think they could compete on an amatuer level just because they trained for 2 months in MMA. And not to mention all those bare knuckle fighters in the backyards today. Most of them are delusional in my mind!

But on the other side MMA gives you an attraction to make something out of your life wich Pro Wrestling can not do.
Wanabe MMA fighters? Bare knuckle fighters?

Talk about exaggerating. The majority of MMA fans just love the sport and aren't holding illegal fights in their back yard.

Why is it ok in your eyes for him to generalise all MMA fans and brand them as he did based on a minority that for all I know is so small doesn't actually exist?

What about all the hardcore fans, all the forum posters, all the people that turn up at Q&As and expos because they love the sport?

Jeez.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Rick?

I didnt see the vid, but...

Of course, Rick doesnt know what he is talking about.
MMA fans are becoming more and more educated about fighting. It seems Rick is just trying to hold for dear life, as MMA blows away his beloved wretsling.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
Wanabe MMA fighters? Bare knuckle fighters?

Talk about exaggerating. The majority of MMA fans just love the sport and aren't holding illegal fights in their back yard.

Why is it ok in your eyes for him to generalise all MMA fans and brand them as he did based on a minority that for all I know is so small doesn't actually exist?

What about all the hardcore fans, all the forum posters, all the people that turn up at Q&As and expos because they love the sport?

Jeez.
You took it way to far Hiro^^

I just think, that some young guys step to early into a cage thats all. But thats just me! If they wanna do it why not. I also never said that this is the majority. It's just a small group like you said.. same as those backyard brawlers.

It's not ok for him to generalise all MMA fans to one group I'm with you here. :thumbsup:

The Hardcores like you and me are the jewels :)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
FYI: He talks about MMA around the 10:10 mark.

I found it funny that he says MMA fighters can't have long careers but uses 15 years as a example. But he mentioned Ortiz (13 years), Shamrock (16 years, relevent for ~13 years), Couture (13 years), and I believe he was talking about Chuck (12 years). And theres guys like Vitor Belfort who started really young and 13 years later was going to have a title fight. Yeah wrestlers can sometimes go for 40 years but I wouldn't be surprised to see guys like Vitor go for ~20.

·
official thrash metal connoisseur
3,329 Posts
I'll just say...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
I don't find anything offensive here as an MMA fan, and former competitor. I absolutely watch these guys and wish I could have aspired to those heights, but even if I had trained every minute of every day I wouldn't have reached the level of these guys. They are true athletes and, truly super human in a lot of cases, and Ric seems to know that. The only thing he said even remotely offensive was generalizing the MMA community as a whole. My girlfriend, is probably louder than just about every guy at the bar when we watch the fights, I can guarantee that has nothing to do with living vicariously through the guys in the octagon.

Ric is a smart guy, and he probably heard this interview after the fact and realized that was a pretty dumb statement, because frankly that statement is pretty much true for any and all competitive sports.

·
Banned
670 Posts
he's not talking smack at all, haha. he says wrestling fans do the same thing, that is the point. he is more giving props to the athletes than insulting the sport.

that being said, Ric has said some pretty stupid things in the past and it's not like I'll take his side just because he is the nature boy. but in this case, no foul.
Sorry but Buddy Rogers was the Nature BOy and then Ric Flair who was a fan became of what he wanted to be and stole his gimmick. He doesn't make any sense, but then he still wrestles while his skin looks like it belongs to a Pekingese. Did read the Hitman book by Bret Hart and enjoyed that but otherwise wrestlers should usually just stick to their scripts imho.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Ric's right, a majority of MMA fans don't watch the sport for the love of it. If I told you I wasn't a fan of this sport because I wasn't interested in the actual applicability of this sport I would be lying to you.

Thing is, it's a combat sport...and that's how combat sports attract attention.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts