Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to Rogan via twitter...

While "WEC 48: Aldo vs. Faber" represents World Extreme Cagefighting's first effort on pay-per-view, the broadcast will apparently have a very familiar feel.

Longtime UFC broadcaster Joe Rogan announced today on his Twitter account that he and on-air partner Mike Goldberg will be handling broadcast duties for the April 24 event.

Featuring a heavily anticipated main event between WEC featherweight champion Jose Aldo and former champ Urijah Faber, WEC 48 takes place at ARCO Arena in Sacramento, Calif.

WEC officials weren't immediately unavailable to confirm the report when contacted by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

The move, if official, is the latest news that familiar faces within the UFC will be working closely with the WEC on the organization's first pay-per-view effort to ensure a successful venture.

A recent announcement regarding a forthcoming media call promoting the event indicated that UFC president Dana White while be on the conference line as host of the call. His position was listed as UFC/WEC president. WEC general manger Reed Harris, who generally handles such duties, was not listed as an attendee on the call, though his absence was not explained.

Additionally, the entire April 24 fight card was initially announced as "UFC presents WEC 48: Aldo vs. Faber."

Recent re-branding of the event now sees the WEC's website referring to the event solely as "Aldo vs. Faber," and an event listing for the star-studded fight card was today added to the UFC's official website. The event is also referred to solely as "Aldo vs. Faber" on the UFC's website.
Link

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Wow that is weird. The ads on the UFC for this card make o mention of the WEC. Its strictly Faber vs Aldo. The video promo actually says UFC on April 24. WTF?

Here is a pic.

·
Premium Member
21,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, UFC presents WEC 48: Aldo vs Faber, is great. If you're going for unnessecarily wordy titles.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
I am guessing the PPV companies want to tie in with the UFC to try and increase buys.

·
Registered
52 Posts
More Goldberg? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

More Rogan? Meh, he's alright. Better than Frank Mir, Cowboy, and Jens, but there's no doubt Kenny Florian is the best color commentator out there for MMA, would of much preferred him.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts

More Rogan? Meh, he's alright. Better than Frank Mir, Cowboy, and Jens, but there's no doubt Kenny Florian is the best color commentator out there for MMA, would of much preferred him.
Kenny Florian............really? Mir is good, the rest meh.

I would buy 48 if Bas was going to call the fights, just to hear him call them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Kenny Florian............really? Mir is good, the rest meh.
Frank Mir would be good if he didn't let his bias influence his commentary, such as in the Jose Aldo vs Mike Brown fight. Aldo was obliterating Brown the entire fight yet the only compliment he could find for Aldo had good takedown defense? Everything else was stuff like "great head movement by Mike Brown!" (even while Brown was getting killed on the feet). Guy needs to say something when the fight ends instead of being stunned silent.

It should of been a pivotal moment in the WEC but instead was dampered by Mir's lack of enthusiasm for the end result.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Frank Mir would be good if he didn't let his bias influence his commentary, such as in the Jose Aldo vs Mike Brown fight. Aldo was obliterating Brown the entire fight yet the only compliment he could find for Aldo had good takedown defense? Everything else was stuff like "great head movement by Mike Brown!" (even while Brown was getting killed on the feet). Guy needs to say something when the fight ends instead of being stunned silent.

It should of been a pivotal moment in the WEC but instead was dampered by Mir's lack of enthusiasm for the end result.
Joe does the same thing though, he's in love with anyone who throws leg kicks and rarely sees counters. Watch Machida v Shogun, all he does is talk about Shogun's roundhouse kicks and never says a thing about Machida countering with a straight left. That's just an example I can remember right now, but Joe does it just as much.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Joe does the same thing though
Sure, not saying Joe's all that much better. But from a technical standpoint of commentating, I'll take Joe because he doesn't have the lapses in silence that Frank has and Joe will at least try to remain neutral (regardless of whether he always succeeds or not).

I can also appreciate that Joe always has this genuine enthusiasm for great fights whereas Frank is rather jaded since he's a top tier fighter himself, bringing a "been there, done that" attitude at times.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Sure, not saying Joe's all that much better. But from a technical standpoint of commentating, I'll take Joe because he doesn't have the lapses in silence that Frank has and Joe will at least try to remain neutral (regardless of whether he always succeeds or not).

I can also appreciate that Joe always has this genuine enthusiasm for great fights whereas Frank is rather jaded since he's a top tier fighter himself, bringing a "been there, done that" attitude at times.
I guess, I just prefer Frank's insight into technique and his ability to predict where the fight is going, he's a great student of the game. I like Joe but for a whole different set of reasons, mainly for saying **** choke.

·
The Avy Slut
3,342 Posts
I am guessing the PPV companies want to tie in with the UFC to try and increase buys.
It's a good idea, gotta admit.

Agreed - Goldy gives me the shits most of the time, and I love Kenny whether he's fighting, commentating or on MMALive ;)

·
All Eyez on Me
2,481 Posts
For some reason I like Goldy but I find Rogans smart ass attitude to be annoying. I dont mind him doing interiews in between rounds or after the fight, but his mic should be turned off during the fight.

**this PPV will still bomb though.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I would have rather they stayed true to the WEC. Goldie and Rogan are all UFC, it was nice to have a variety of commentators at WEC. I would never buy this fight, and hope that some sportsbars or something pick it up, so I can still see it. You can't just start charging people for something that's been free for so long.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I personally love Goldberg and Rogan. They're not perfect, Godlberg actually used to get on my nerves. Goldberg has a lot of "Did he just say that? Really?? wow.." moments, but tbh I find them funny. "His precision is very.. precise" is the first one that comes to mind rofl. I too appreciate Rogan's enthusiasm. I agree he does come off biased sometimes, but he is friends with a lot of these guys and as we all know, when you have a friend fighting it's hard to not be a little biased.

But no matter how annoying you might find them, I really doubt you find them worse then Gus Johnson. I'm not a real big sports fan outside of mma or boxing, but I think when watching football a coupel of times I've seen Gus commentating/doing interviews with players. Which explains his lack of knowledge for what's happening, but man was he annoying to me. I really didn't enjoy any of the commentating that happened during any of the EliteXC's that were on CBS (or whatever station it was on).

Oh yeah and for anyone who hasn't seen it. Tito is the man LOL. Seraldo Babalu.. really? How.. nvm. He's the man ROFL.

·
Premium Member
8,648 Posts
Why dont the UFC and WEC just Merge and put on twice as much shows?

Then you could mix and match commentary teams like on HBO boxing

1 - 20 of 21 Posts