Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, looked through the first three pages and couldn't see anything at all regarding Jui Jitsu Master Roger Gracie.

I signed up expected an overload of info stats and hype going into tonights bout but found nothing which was quite suprising :confused02:

Anyway, for anyone thats not too sure who he is I've written up some info about the legend.

Well, he was born on the 26th of September 1981 in a small part of brasilia ( the capital of Brazil): making him 28.

He's 1 of 21 children of the Judo master Reyla Gracie. ( 12 of whom earned the rank of black belt in Jui Jitsu )

Rogers most famous acheivment to date was back in 2005 when he won the ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championship, which was held in California, USA.

He entered the tournament in the 88-99kg weight class, and won gold after defeating Alexandre Ferreira with a Rear forearm choke.

His quest to the final included defeating other Jui Jitsu masters, notably Justin Garcia.

On May 18, 2008 Roger Gracie competed in the Japanese MMA event Sengoku 2, where he defeated Yuki Kondo at 2:40 min of round 1 by rear naked choke.

Prior to this fight he's also competed in BODOGFIGHTS and beat Ron Waterman with a armbar submission, again in round 1.

He's officialy competed in two MMA fights, but nothing compared to what he'll face tonight; This is probably the reason why he and many say its his first proper MMA fight tonight.

When guys get older, like Randleman, they tend to do deny one aspect of MMA. Either they try to take a fight to a clinch, and then hope it will end up on the ground, or they stalk the ring trying to throw punches and get lucky. Unfortunately for Randleman, either way he goes, he’s going to be outclassed by the young gun.

Roger Gracie, hope he shows the world what he's about.

·
SikWithIt
2,539 Posts
Gonna be a tough one for Roger,Randleman is no joke.The height and reach advantage over Kevin should give Roger the win though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gonna be a tough one for Roger,Randleman is no joke.The height and reach advantage over Kevin should give Roger the win though.
Yeah of course. I very much Rogers going into the fight thinking its a given. I expect Roger to try to take it to the floor quickly and as often as possible. His submissions skills are supreme.

Similar to that of GSP continually trying to down his opponents to get the upper hand whilst sitting on them or nailing them down, giving him the upper hand to attack at will.

I also think Rogers got this one, although it'll be interesting to see the tactics both being use in the opening minutes.

Anyone know where I can watch this fight, as I'm in London and its not showing on any of our channels over here.

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
I've waited patiently for a 21st century Gracie to emerge. Unfortunately I think I'm still waiting. I bet on kev based mostly on coleman's recent improvement. I think hammerhouse might have started sparring!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hi all, looked through the first three pages and couldn't see anything at all regarding Jui Jitsu Master Roger Gracie.

I signed up expected an overload of info stats and hype going into tonights bout but found nothing which was quite suprising :confused02:

Anyway, for anyone thats not too sure who he is I've written up some info about the legend.

Well, he was born on the 26th of September 1981 in a small part of brasilia ( the capital of Brazil): making him 28.

He's 1 of 21 children of the Judo master Reyla Gracie. ( 12 of whom earned the rank of black belt in Jui Jitsu )

Rogers most famous acheivment to date was back in 2005 when he won the ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championship, which was held in California, USA.

He entered the tournament in the 88-99kg weight class, and won gold after defeating Alexandre Ferreira with a Rear forearm choke.

His quest to the final included defeating other Jui Jitsu masters, notably Justin Garcia.

On May 18, 2008 Roger Gracie competed in the Japanese MMA event Sengoku 2, where he defeated Yuki Kondo at 2:40 min of round 1 by rear naked choke.

Prior to this fight he's also competed in BODOGFIGHTS and beat Ron Waterman with a armbar submission, again in round 1.

He's officialy competed in two MMA fights, but nothing compared to what he'll face tonight; This is probably the reason why he and many say its his first proper MMA fight tonight.

When guys get older, like Randleman, they tend to do deny one aspect of MMA. Either they try to take a fight to a clinch, and then hope it will end up on the ground, or they stalk the ring trying to throw punches and get lucky. Unfortunately for Randleman, either way he goes, he’s going to be outclassed by the young gun.

Roger Gracie, hope he shows the world what he's about.

I just really hope he's not the next Demian Maia,Aoki type fighter, with amazing ju-jitsu as with all Gracies, but absolutly shocking standup, with exception of Ryan.
I haven't been able to see Roger in his fights against Waterman and Kondo, which were ballsy fights to take in first two fights considering their experience.
I just really hope he can spend a lot of time training stand up as I haven't been able to see these fights to judge, but I just hope he's better than Rolles who recently made me weep in UFC.
Hopefully he'll be able to train with some excellent strikers, and we can see a Gracie as champion in a top organisation in not too distant future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts