Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Who would win?

  • Roman Zentsov

    Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Paul Buentello

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Who are these guys?

    Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
True Grappler
Joined
·
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The score is PRIDE: 9, UFC: 3, and the next fight has been requested.

This is a battle of the heavy hitters.

Representing PRIDE FC:

Roman Zentsov (12-10-0)
Vitals: 6'1" 230lbs (104kg)
Styles: Judo and *****
Fact: Roman Zentsov trains with the Red Devil Sport Club and the Emelianenko brothers. A few pics of him in action: http://www.sherdog.com/news/Picture_gallery.asp?f_id=2248&pic_id=7498 http://www.sherdog.com/news/Picture_gallery.asp?f_id=2248&pic_id=16471

Representing the UFC:
Paul "The Headhunter" Buentello (20-8-0)
Vitals: 6'2" 245lbs (111kg)
Style: Boxing
Fact: Buentello has a 3-1 UFC record, with his only loss coming in 8 seconds to "The Pitbull" Andrei Arlovski.
 

·
True Grappler
Joined
·
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I voted for Roman, because he's a much stronger man and Buentello can't defend a ground n pound like Roman's.
 

·
True Grappler
Joined
·
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MMA freak said:
Roman Zentsov KOd Pedro Rizzo in 20 seconds who is sort of passed his time but a lot better than Paul Buentello still. I think Zentsov, 30 second KO like Arlovski did to Buentello.
Zentsov's standup isn't really that great, I think the fight with Rizzo was kind of an anomaly. I'd give him a dominant 2 minute victory. Textbook doubleleg slam or legsweep into sidecontrol where he pounds Buentello through the canvas.
 

·
True Grappler
Joined
·
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would whoever voted for Buentello please give some input? This is getting onesided.
 

·
LHW Champ
Joined
·
781 Posts
Roman does not have a great standup game and alot of time he shoots very sloppy with his hands down and wide open, just the thing Paul needs to finish with a big right.. Anyone of them could win by i see Paul taking it by one of Romans many mistakes. + in one of his recent fights he had big trouble controling Gilbert Yvel on the ground and Paul has way better groundgame than Yvel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
IronMan said:
I voted for Roman, because he's a much stronger man and Buentello can't defend a ground n pound like Roman's.
paul doesnt have to defend the ground, mma is not defense, it is offense, arvlovsky win over paul was a fluke! arvlovsky showed it was against silvia, paul knew he was to aggresive to start that fight
 

·
Outta My Head
Joined
·
1,220 Posts
r-negrete said:
paul doesnt have to defend the ground, mma is not defense, it is offense, arvlovsky win over paul was a fluke! arvlovsky showed it was against silvia, paul knew he was to aggresive to start that fight
Huh? If that was indeed the case, then Tank Abbott would be champ and everyone would fight like him.

Let's not forget the conventional wisdom and truisms that follows the fight addage, "Fighters get hit; good fighters don't get hit as much..." You know who said that? Sugar Ray Leonard, one of the slickest boxers ever in existance.

I already know what knee-jerk response is cooking up in your mind: "But this is MMA--NOT BOXING!" Let's just apply the principle of the addage to MMA, and see if it still holds true, shall we?

MMA fighters get hit; good MMA fighters don't get hit as much. True.
MMA fighters get taken down; good MMA fighters don't get taken down as much. True.
MMA fighters get submitted; good MMA fighters don't get submitted as much. Again-True.
MMA fighters get pounded on the ground; good MMA fighters don't get pounded on the ground as much. True again.

Fluke or not, if he didn't get hit by that punch from Arlovsky, he wouldn't have taken a quick nap during his Championship match. I like Buentello a lot, but stating that defensive skills have no weight in any sort of combat art is just grossly ignorant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Onganju said:
Huh? If that was indeed the case, then Tank Abbott would be champ and everyone would fight like him.

Let's not forget the conventional wisdom and truisms that follows the fight addage, "Fighters get hit; good fighters don't get hit as much..." You know who said that? Sugar Ray Leonard, one of the slickest boxers ever in existance.

I already know what knee-jerk response is cooking up in your mind: "But this is MMA--NOT BOXING!" Let's just apply the principle of the addage to MMA, and see if it still holds true, shall we?

MMA fighters get hit; good MMA fighters don't get hit as much. True.
MMA fighters get taken down; good MMA fighters don't get taken down as much. True.
MMA fighters get submitted; good MMA fighters don't get submitted as much. Again-True.
MMA fighters get pounded on the ground; good MMA fighters don't get pounded on the ground as much. True again.

Fluke or not, if he didn't get hit by that punch from Arlovsky, he wouldn't have taken a quick nap during his Championship match. I like Buentello a lot, but stating that defensive skills have no weight in any sort of combat art is just grossly ignorant.
hey onganju thanks for the reply, but defense wins superbowls not mma or boxing, been around boxing all my life, a family friend named alvaro yaqui lopez trained with my older brother in stockton ca in the 70,s (ok my aged just showed), he fought for a few lt heavy championship fights, against victor galindez, matthew sadd muhammad to name a couple, my oldest brother wrestled through collage, my 12year old son is on a fight team doing sub-grap, ect, my 25 yearold does mma, and by the way my old 47 yearold ass does mma hear in austin at grapplers domain, and i have yet to see anyone win on DEFENSE. SO I KNOW A LITTLE ABOUT GROUND AND POUND. YOU ARE NOT TALKING TO A 15 YEAR OLD PIMPLE FACE WANT TO BE A SOFTWARE PROGRAMMER HERE. i have been pounded and have pounded and i will take thr offensive mode anytime,,,and yes i have rolled with paul buentello myself write back thanks
 

·
Outta My Head
Joined
·
1,220 Posts
r-negrete said:
hey onganju thanks for the reply, but defense wins superbowls not mma or boxing, been around boxing all my life, a family friend named alvaro yaqui lopez trained with my older brother in stockton ca in the 70,s (ok my aged just showed), he fought for a few lt heavy championship fights, against victor galindez, matthew sadd muhammad to name a couple, my oldest brother wrestled through collage, my 12year old son is on a fight team doing sub-grap, ect, my 25 yearold does mma, and by the way my old 47 yearold ass does mma hear in austin at grapplers domain, and i have yet to see anyone win on DEFENSE. SO I KNOW A LITTLE ABOUT GROUND AND POUND. YOU ARE NOT TALKING TO A 15 YEAR OLD PIMPLE FACE WANT TO BE A SOFTWARE PROGRAMMER HERE. i have been pounded and have pounded and i will take thr offensive mode anytime,,,and yes i have rolled with paul buentello myself write back thanks
That's good to know. Then you know that when you're in full offensive mode on the mat that you're still on the look out about not getting caught, or not not putting yourself in a position to get rolled or swept. Likewise, if you're rolling with someone who is also offensively minded you're going to think about using their aggression to set them up right?

Answer me this, do they teach you how to do a doubleleg in wrestling without teaching you how to sprawl? No, they don't. Why, because in the chance that your opponent comes off first, you better be ready to react and defend as not to end up in a worst situation.

Now we're just talking the grappling side on the above note. Let's talk striking, shall we? Does any boxing coach teach how to throw punches, and not how to slip, duck, bob and weave? No. Why? Because if you get hit first, or if you take 2 shots for every 1 you are giving chances are you are going to lose the fight.

You may say that you have yet to see anyone win on defense (actually, hell I'll even concede that is a truism), but do you see anyone win without a semblence of defence?

And just to take a jab at you (if you humor my malicious side for a moment): I know you are not a "WANT TO BE PROGRAMMER" by reading your posts. Most programmers know the proper use of grammar, diction and punctuation. :cheeky4:

With that, I'm more than happy to respond to your counter-point sir. It may take a while as I have to sit waddle through hell's parking lot (rush hour traffic in Cali sucks) in order to get to work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
o, thanks for writing back,, sorry about puncuation but i did not pass typing lol, i have never been one to be formal when there is nothing to gain, my cpa and employees hate it but what the hell i write the checks,,,i dont question your basic fundemental knowledge of a fight game! you have valid points on every thing u said. and yes in grappling, wrestling, and ju-jitsu one of the first things you learn as we learned in hand to hand in the army is to use your enemies energy against them! tank abbott does not fight, he bum rushes you. i did not mean that there is no defensive strategy in fighting, it would be foolish to think that, it is just that you are not going to win covering up or wrapping up, unless in guard or side or full mount resting and lettting your opponent tire out. same applies in kick boxing..no offense on the programmer stuff ok! we all have to work lol... hey o i have to get ready for practice i hope to connect with you again for bs stuff ok be carefull on the hiway in cali,,,left there in 76 and love it in austin talk to u soon
 

·
Outta My Head
Joined
·
1,220 Posts
No problem at all sir. I hope some of the other forum goers can take this as an example that you can actually have a civilized and coherent discussion on this board without it instantly degenerating into a flaming contest. Have fun rolling. :thumbsup:
 

·
Outta My Head
Joined
·
1,220 Posts
Also, I'd like to add: If Paul hit Adrei Arlovsky with the punch he was throwing when he got caught on the chin, the UFC would have recorded the first ever double KO in MMA history. He sure as hell was swinging for the fences with that shot.
 

·
True Grappler
Joined
·
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
PRIDE FC has broken into double digits as Roman brings home the victory. That makes the score PRIDE: 10, UFC: 3.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top