Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
“We’re all very good at doing what we like to do. BJ’s ground game and wrestling is unbelievable, but I feel I’m a far better striker than he is. I might never be as good as he is at one thing, but he might never be as good as me at another. I’m not near a BJJ black belt, but a fight is a fight and anything can happen, that’s what makes the sport so exciting.”
Source: http://www.bjpenn.com/profiles/blogs/ross-pearson-i-feel-im-a-far

I lol'd.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Did somebody drop him on his head in the gym? :dunno:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Lol typical Brits, they always give me a good laugh hah.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
I like Ross and he does have some impressive stand up but he is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off here! BJ would destroy him!

I was gonna say cue the Brit bashing thread starting but looks like someone already started it! xroxaz :sarcastic12:

·
Registered
750 Posts
I like Ross and he does have some impressive stand up but he is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off here! BJ would destroy him!

I was gonna say cue the Brit bashing thread starting but looks like someone already started it! xroxaz :sarcastic12:
I wudnt really say it was along the lines of bashing, but they are funny little buggers i must say.

·
RNC - the fighting mans lullaby
1,849 Posts
Pearson has a great stand-up game, and is a very dynamic striker with great head and foot movement.

BJ has some of the best boxing in mma, but he rarely utilises any other discipline on the feet. We rarely see him throwing knees, elbows and kicks.

So Pearson is right, to an extent.

He's wrong more than he's right. But he's still right a little.

And dont get me wrong, i love me some BJ (make your own jokes there guys)

·
Registered
750 Posts
Pearson has a great stand-up game, and is a very dynamic striker with great head and foot movement.

BJ has some of the best boxing in mma, but he rarely utilises any other discipline on the feet. We rarely see him throwing knees, elbows and kicks.

So Pearson is right, to an extent.

He's wrong more than he's right. But he's still right a little.

And dont get me wrong, i love me some BJ (make your own jokes there guys)
you must be british :p

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts

·
1,849 Posts
you must be british :p
Sure, but thats pretty irrelevant unless of course youre just out to bash the brits :) but i'm right.

If we were to set up a training drill focused on striking, some sort of circuit. One stop for knees, one for elbows, kicks, punches, combo's - i'd guarantee Pearson would perform better in at least 2 of those drills. So again, he's a little bit right, but more wrong than right.

I havent read the article that the OP sourced, just responding to the thread title.

Please feel free to let me know where i'm wrong :thumb02:

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I have to say I think Pearson has a point, his stand up is crip and his technique with all aspects of his stand up Thai Boxing up is excellent, I think he has one of the best Thai clinches in the division, in fact his stand up kind of reminds me of Wanderlei Silva back in his pride days, only without the power of the LHW which Silva was, but still I think on a P4P comparison that Person could well have Silva's power.

I see all the US fan base has jumped all over the Brit for thinking his stand up is that good, but just remember this the best Thai Boxing academies in the world are in Europe, ok mainly the Netherlands, but Team Rough House in the UK does boast some very high grade Mury Thai fighters, you need to look no further than Paul Daley, who is more a more accomplished kick boxer than he is MMA fighter, Daley is a "King of The Ring Muay Thai World Champion" in Japan, way before he even joined the UFC he was a very accomplished kick boxer, so if you think that good strikers are not coming out of Team Rough house then think again.

Seriously I would think that Penn would win in a MMA fight, but if Penn was to fight Pearson in a Thai boxing match, then I would have my money on Pearson all day long.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Pearson does use more kicks and knees than BJ. So I guess in that sense you Brits are right.. BUT the truth is BJ would wreck him in a fight standing up... Just because Randy Couture throws more kicks and knees than James Toney doesn't mean he is a better striker than him..

I have to say I think Person has a point, his stand up is crip and his technique with all aspects of his stand up Thai Boxing up is excellent, I think he has one of the best Thai clinches in the division, in fact his stand up kind of reminds me of Wanderlei Silva back in his pride days, only without the power of the LHW which Silva was, but still I think on a P4P comparison that Person could well have Silva's power.
LAWL

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Have we seen BJ take on someone who actually makes good use of their legs? Pearson has some crisp kick boxing, what seem to be hard punches and a good chin.

His standup is not far better than BJ's, but it certainly is good and it could be an interesting battle on the feet. BJ has great hands but he's not head and shoulders above everyone else based on his last performance.

We all should have known Frankie had slick boxing yet everyone thought he was easy meat for BJ. We'll see what's up in the rematch but if BJ takes it to the ground, that means he probably doesn't think he has a solid advantage on the feet. I think BJ's standup might be slightly overrated.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Pearson does use more kicks and knees than BJ. So I guess in that sense you Brits are right.. BUT the truth is BJ would wreck him in a fight standing up... Just because Randy Couture throws more kicks and knees than James Toney doesn't mean he is a better striker than him..

LAWL
your comparison bares no relevance whatsoever, since Toney has only competed to date in boxing, of course we have seen Couture throw more knees and kicks, he would of only need to throw 1 of each in his entire career to have throw more than Toney in his boxing career, but who is to say that he will throw more knees and kicks than Toney in a MMA fight, could we be the case he does, but its still to be discovered.

and please enlighten me what does LAWL mean?

Interesting toss so many people toss what Pearson thinks to one side like its total [email protected], yet no one of you guys has given a single shred of analysis in yoru argument about why you think BJ has better stand up, when you look at the facts and beat down the style of each fighter, then its very hard to give any reason why BJ has better stand up than Pearson.

think of it as if Penn was to fight Pearson in a K-1 fight, then try to give some reason why you think Pen would win, because from what I see I would have Pearson to win still all day long.

·
1,849 Posts
Just because Randy Couture throws more kicks and knees than James Toney doesn't mean he is a better striker than him..
I guess it depends how you interpret "better" and "striking". I someone with more technique better than someone with power? Is someone with power better than someone with speed? Is someone with accuracy better than someone with technique?

Striking is more than just boxing. Its possible to be better than your oppenent at most aspects of the striking game, and still get whooped on the feet. Ala Toney/Couture. I'd say Couture is better than Toney in all aspects of striking other than boxing, yet it wouldnt be smart of Couture to stand with Toney.

Edit: I'd just like to add a note to whoever neg repped me - your neg rep makes no sense. I'm guessing you got neg repped and you've assumed its me who's done it? Bravo Sherlock, you went fishing and came home with an old boot

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
I guess it depends how you interpret "better" and "striking". I someone with more technique better than someone with power? Is someone with power better than someone with speed? Is someone with accuracy better than someone with technique?

Striking is more than just boxing. Its possible to be better than your oppenent at most aspects of the striking game, and still get whooped on the feet. Ala Toney/Couture. I'd say Couture is better than Toney in all aspects of striking other than boxing, yet it wouldnt be smart of Couture to stand with Toney.
More well rounded striking does not mean better striking.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts