Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lightweight bout pitting "The Ultimate Fighter 9" winner Ross Pearson (11-3 MMA, 3-0 UFC) against "TUF 5" cast member and veteran lightweight Cole Miller (16-4 MMA, 5-2 UFC) is expected to be part of UFC Fight Night 22.

MMAFighting.com first reported the fight over the weekend, and a source close to the negotiations confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that verbal agreements are in place.

UFC Fight Night 22, which serves as a lead-in for the debut episode of "The Ultimate Fighter 12," takes place Sept. 15 and airs on Spike TV.

As MMAjunkie.com reported on Monday, the event is expected to take place in either Austin or San Antonio.

Given Pearson's recent "TUF" championship, four fight-win streak and perfect 3-0 mark in the UFC, the fight could end up on the night's televised main card.

Pearson enters the fight after a decision victory over Andre Winner in The Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale, a TKO win over Aaron Riley at UFC 105, and a decision victory over Dennis Siver at UFC Fight Night 21. The British fighter and Team Rough House fighter earned a $30,000 Fight of the Night award for the Siver win.

Miller, meanwhile, enters his eighth career UFC fight off a Submission of the Night victory over Dan Lauzon at UFC 108. The American Top Team fighter and Brazilian jiu-jitsu brown belt had been slated to fight Winner at UFC Fight Night 21 in March, but he pulled out of the fight with an injury. Now healthy, he goes for his fourth win in five fights following wins over Luzon, Junie Browning and Jorge Gurgel.

MMA Junkie | Ross Pearson vs. Cole Miller targeted for UFC Fight Night 22
Looking forward to this one. I like the way the UFC are giving Pearson time to develop and take on some lesser known opponents instead of chucking him in with the big boys. Miller's no mug though. He has wins over Dan Lauzon, Jorge Gurgel and Junie Browning, he's a brown belt in BJJ and trains at ATT, he's going to be easily Pearson's toughest challenge so far. Hopefully Ross'll pull out a 3rd straight UFC victory and continue to move up the ranks, have been very impressed with his performances since TUF.

The rumoured fights for this card are looking good. So far we've got:

Alan Belcher vs Demian Maia
Jim Miller vs Gleison Tibau
Ross Pearson vs Cole Miller

Looking like a potentially very exciting UFN card!

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
Pearson and Hathaway are the best prospects coming out of The UK. These two have learned that having a ground game and learning some wrestling isn't something to be ashamed off. Also Andre Winner seems to be ok.
For almost all the british fighters, wrestling/the ground game is the same as is kryptonite to Superman.
I think Pearson will take this fight. Every time he showed up to a fight he seemed more and more comfortable. And his game is improving constantly.

·
Registered
10,783 Posts
Great to hear! I think Pearson will be able to keep this on the feet and get a nice TKO.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I agree with above that I'm glad the UFC are giving Pearson time to get experience and not throw him in the deep end. I hope he has been working on a ground game as that is a big problem for Brits and Miller is a good on the ground and good fight to see if Pearson is progressing.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
This is a good fight but I think Pearson, being 3-0 in the UFC now should perhaps be pushing on to main cards. Hopefully after he wins this he'll be challenging guys in the top 10.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
This is an interesting matchup but I think that Cole will come out on the short end of it. I think that Pearson will get a win here and then move on to bigger things. I think he is something special and will do great things.

·
Registered
10,783 Posts
Ross's ground game is good enough to not get subbed if it goes to the ground against Miller. He only has one sub loss and that was in his debut fight (surprisingly in my home town, wish I'd of gone!) and also has alot of sub victories.

Alot of people don't realise that as he's now known primarily for his great stand up. He's a brown belt in Judo, I don't think Miller has the ground game to finish him.

He also hasn't lost in a fair while (Do not count the loss to Abdul as a loss at all, just watch on youtube or read wikipedia to see how controversial that decision was. I don't think he'll lose until he fights a solid top 5 LW and even then I think he'll bounce back very quickly.

·
To the death George
2,306 Posts
wow this FN is stacked, Belcher/Maia, Jim Miller/Tibau and now Pearson/Cole miller. 3 fights well worthy of UFC main cards with Belcher/Maia being easily a co-main event.

I cant see Cole being able to get Ross to the ground at all and Ross will punish him badly on the feet. Ross by 2nd round TKO.

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts
Very fun match up. I think Miller is good too, but Pearson keeps on growing and growing and he is doing so at at rapid rate. Miller will have a tough time getting him to the ground as he will have to eat some hard shots in order to do so and I don't see him being able to take those shots. Pearson via TKO in the first round.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.