Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Roy Nelson: I think I’m supposed to be fighting Frank Mir

Posted by M.C. Castaneda on Saturday, May 1, 2010 at 10:24 am· 4 Comments

With a fight rumored for UFC 116 against the towering Cheick Kongo, The Ultimate Fighter Season 10 champion Roy Nelson (15-4 MMA, 2-0 UFC) recently paid a visit to the island of Oahu to corner a few of his students from his school including former TUF housemate Scott Junk (6-2-1 MMA) at the inaugural “Galaxy MMA: Worlds Collide” event on May 1 from the Neal S. Blaisdell arena in Honolulu, Hawaii.

FiveOuncesofPain.com had the chance to sit down with “Big Country” during the event’s press conference to discuss his training partner, and his upcoming bout.

During the filming of TUF season 10, Roy Nelson and Scott Junk developed a friendship that would carry on after the show. Looking to improve as a fighter, Junk enlisted the help of Nelson and took a trip to The Country Club in Las Vegas to work with Big Country.

“Scott just wanted to up his game,” said Nelson, who went on to say that he felt he ‘could help improve Junk’s fundamentals…and make his game a little bit better.’

When asked if Junk sought out Nelson’s help because Big Country owns a previous TKO victory when they faced each other in the IFL, Nelson replied, “It just happens that he [Junk] is fighting Fabiano…it’s just a coincidence.”

When speaking about his rumored upcoming fight with Cheick Kongo at UFC 116 on July 3rd, Nelson was quick to respond, “I believe that is still part of the rumor mill, cause I think I‘m supposed to be fighting Frank Mir too.”

Nelson went on to jokingly say, “I think I might fight them all in the same day.”

While he believes that he is more likely to face Mir, nothing is official. That said Nelson has started formulating a game plan for both Kongo and Mir.

When speaking about Kongo, Nelson stated that, “He’s right in the mix…he’s a tough guy, but the one thing he has lacked in the past is his wrestling.”

Nelson went on to say, “I’m hopin’ I get the best Cheick Kongo that I’ve ever seen; if that’s the fight I fight.”

Presuming that Nelson does fight Kongo on July 3rd, the question was posed whether he felt obligated to have a “patriotic” cage entrance since he would be somewhat representing the USA against a Frenchman the day before the Nation’s birthday.

“I think maybe I might come in to the Star Spangled Banner, but I can always fall back to Weird Al… you know I’m Fat,’ said Nelson.

Nelson will be on the island for another week, relaxing and taking a break before heading home to Las Vegas to start training. Against who is anyone’s guess.

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2010/05/01/roy-nelson-i-think-im-supposed-to-be-fighting-frank-mir/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know who he is fighting but I'd like to see how he can match up with Mir personally. Kongo he puts on the mat and subs fairly easily. Mir on the other hand has him bettered in every place this could go. Would be a test for Nelson and would show if he really is a worthy match for Lesnar.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am becoming a big country fan as of late. Really surprised at the power in his hands. I believe he pummels Kongo and the Mir fight would be very interesting as well. Be something to see him put Mir in the crucifix and pound him. Surely Mir wont get pummeled on the ground again though.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I watched the BJJ match nice find. Roy would have been killed if that was a fight though. Mir was by far the aggressor and Roy waited till the end and poured it on for the great finish. If it was a fight he can't sit back like that and wait. That did make the ground match an interesting one though!!!!!!!!!!! This would be a fun fight in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I watched the BJJ match nice find. Roy would have been killed if that was a fight though. Mir was by far the aggressor and Roy waited till the end and poured it on for the great finish. If it was a fight he can't sit back like that and wait. That did make the ground match an interesting one though!!!!!!!!!!! This would be a fun fight in my opinion.
I think Mir might have gassed. This was oldschool Mir who thought he was more talented than the world and didn't really have any work ethic (ie oldschool BJ), so I tend to think he gassed. If they had a grappling match today I'd definitely pick Mir. Mir wins an MMA fight too imo, but this is an intriguing matchup, way better than Nelson v. Kongo, which Nelson would easily win.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
I think its a good fight. Mir would definitely have trouble with Roy's striking and he's no slouch on the ground, as we've seen. Good fight IMO.

·
HiiiPoWeR
17,676 Posts
I'd like to see him fight Frank personally, since it would oppose a bigger test for him than Kongo, seeing as Kongo would get taken down and submitted pretty early in the fight.

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
This is a totally different fight for Roy.
Unfortunately Mir will make Roy look like what he really is. A fat guy who belongs 2 weight classes down.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
This is a totally different fight for Roy.
Unfortunately Mir will make Roy look like what he really is. A fat guy who belongs 2 weight classes down.
Doubt it. Odd how people still dismiss Roy's skills. The guy knows what he is doing in there. I think Mir has the slight edge on the feet and on the ground. But I think they are close enough at each to make it a good fight. Roy could easily catch Mir witha right. I would favor Mir, but with his recent dissappointment in failing to get that match with Lesnar you have to question where he is now as a fighter. If this fight ever happened I wouldn't be surprised to see Roy win it.

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
Doubt it. Odd how people still dismiss Roy's skills. The guy knows what he is doing in there. I think Mir has the slight edge on the feet and on the ground. But I think they are close enough at each to make it a good fight. Roy could easily catch Mir witha right. I would favor Mir, but with his recent dissappointment in failing to get that match with Lesnar you have to question where he is now as a fighter. If this fight ever happened I wouldn't be surprised to see Roy win it.
I don't dismiss Roy's skills. Not at all. I think he would be great in his proper weight class.And I love to see him shock unprepared heavy weights but, when he faces someone (mir) with equal or better skill who is his size with 1/4 the body fat.... well, I hate it for him.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I don't dismiss Roy's skills. Not at all. I think he would be great in his proper weight class.And I love to see him shock unprepared heavy weights but, when he faces someone (mir) with equal or better skill who is his size with 1/4 the body fat.... well, I hate it for him.
He may be better at a better weight but maybe not.. He is 265, he loses 50 lbs he is still 215. I don't see why Mir would outclass him that much? He has beat Nog and Kongo as of late, not like he has shown he can compete with the now top 5 of the division. I think this would be a real good fight.

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
He may be better at a better weight but maybe not.. He is 265, he loses 50 lbs he is still 215. I don't see why Mir would outclass him that much? He has beat Nog and Kongo as of late, not like he has shown he can compete with the now top 5 of the division. I think this would be a real good fight.
If Mir comes in at 265 also then he will have at least 40 lbs more muscle. If Roy were much more skilled than his opponent (kongo) I'd bet on Roy. Even if he's a little better than mir at this or that, I think his only chance is for Mir to gas.

If Roy were in peak condition with say..8% body fat, he would look like Jon fitch's twin brother. I love fitch and think he could beat 99% of the worlds population of guys over 250lb but I would hate to see him against any of the top 4 hw's.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
If Mir comes in at 265 also then he will have at least 40 lbs more muscle. If Roy were much more skilled than his opponent (kongo) I'd bet on Roy. Even if he's a little better than mir at this or that, I think his only chance is for Mir to gas.

If Roy were in peak condition with say..8% body fat, he would look like Jon fitch's twin brother. I love fitch and think he could beat 99% of the worlds population of guys over 250lb but I would hate to see him against any of the top 4 hw's.
Muscle doesn't mean all that much. He has done well with thge body he has as of now. I wouldn't bet on Roy in this fight straight up. But I think he is more than capable of hanging in there on the feet or on the ground. Mir isn't going to toss him around because he looks better.

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
Muscle doesn't mean all that much. He has done well with thge body he has as of now. I wouldn't bet on Roy in this fight straight up. But I think he is more than capable of hanging in there on the feet or on the ground. Mir isn't going to toss him around because he looks better.
Looks have nothing to do with it. It takes a lot of skill to overcome a big muscle/strength advantage. In many match ups Roy could do that. Against Mir....not so much

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
Looks have nothing to do with it. It takes a lot of skill to overcome a big muscle/strength advantage. In many match ups Roy could do that. Against Mir....not so much
bah mir's not that much better than roy, i can't see either subbing the other and roy has heavier hands with probably the same level of striking maybe going in roys favor, i never liked murrs striking he always seems to punch up

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
bah mir's not that much better than roy, i can't see either subbing the other and roy has heavier hands with probably the same level of striking maybe going in roys favor, i never liked murrs striking he always seems to punch up
I can see you don't like Mir but you still help me make my point.
In the heavy weight division Roy needs to be THAT MUCH BETTER than his opponent. Against someone equally (or close)skilled Roy is at a big disadvantage. His smaller muscles have to carry more weight every step. Unless Mir gasses (very possible) this will be bad for Roy.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
so Roy is no Ian Freeman, Mario Cruz or Brandon Vera??

Mir with that crappy record and string of questionable mental weakness and decisions in fights...

when will ppl realize he really isnt a top guy.

I think Roy can hang and i think Roy could possiblely win.

i wouldnt bet $ on tho.

frontrunner frank is a guy to stay away from in betting. he is too mentally fragile and cocky to put $ on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Would be a great fight in my opinion but i cant see big country getting the win over mir , obviously he may prove me wrong but id much rather see him fight kongo and after that win progress to mir.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts