Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roy Nelson is a badass but he is a sad specimen next to JDS, Cain, and Carwin. However he has KO power and could rock all 3. None of the current contenders would take him to the ground coz that's not their style so Nelson is going to get that chance to land a KO shot. I think his best chance is against Cain because Cain has been hit by Kongo at least.

v. Cain
Cain out works Roy pushing him against the cage and doing damage. He will either break Roy down with wrestling and punches and finish or Cain gets the UD.

v. JDS or Carwin
The best of the contender is JDS IMO but whatever. Both will KO Roy in the first Rd. I don't think Roy has ever been KOd but JDS and Carwin hit freakishly hard, Roy and Cain IMO just hit hard.

So what does everyone else think? I fully expect most would have Roy as #5 of the top UFC HW right?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
:thumb02:
Roy Nelson is a badass but he is a sad specimen next to JDS, Cain, and Carwin. However he has KO power and could rock all 3. None of the current contenders would take him to the ground coz that's not their style so Nelson is going to get that chance to land a KO shot. I think his best chance is against Cain because Cain has been hit by Kongo at least.

v. Cain
Cain out works Roy pushing him against the cage and doing damage. He will either break Roy down with wrestling and punches and finish or Cain gets the UD.

v. JDS or Carwin
The best of the contender is JDS IMO but whatever. Both will KO Roy in the first Rd. I don't think Roy has ever been KOd but JDS and Carwin hit freakishly hard, Roy and Cain IMO just hit hard.

So what does everyone else think? I fully expect most would have Roy as #5 of the top UFC HW right?
:thumb02:
I wouldn't go that far yet! But as he said I would love to fight Toney. And Dana is looking for someone for Toney to fight, so it makes sense!

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
I pretty much agree with what you're saying.

Arlovski knocked roy out, but i think roy's a little better now and arlovski is a goddamn good striker. I know people say he's overrated but he has good striking and good power.

If he had an iron chin... He could be a world beater.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I gotta see Roy get past Congo before even entertaining the idea of him being in the top 5 heavyweights...Big Nog, Carwin, JDS, Cain, Mir, Lesnar, Gonzaga *maybe*....nahhh, Roy aint there yet, maybe a couple years ago when the HW division was as thin as an annorexic ethiopian, but certainly not now. Congo is the consumate gatekeeper, Roy beats him and maybe we'll talk.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Sadly, I think Roy would get smoked by all of those guys. He's just not big enough in the right areas. I agree that his best chance would be against Cain, he could manage a KO.

I think Roy has some great matchups in the 'regular' HW division. I would love to see him fight Mir or Nogueira. I think he would take Kongo easily.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
i like Roy alot.

i dont think he can beat any of the top guys. I guess he matches up best with JDS cuz thats the only one he has a hope of taking down and being on top. I still think JDS will KO him.

Cain would own him standing up 9.7/10. Ppl still sleeping on Cains standup, huh?? lol. bad matchuyp for Roy, 0% chance of taking Cain down and ending up on top and he will get worked standing very badly. The speed difference and technique different will be clearly evident.

I like Roy vs GG or Mir, personally. Maybe Kongo.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only started the thread coz rumors are he gets JDS next but I agree with everyone who would like to see one more fight against Kongo/Mir/Big Nog. I'm just assuming the JDS rumor is true for now.

One more fight wouldn't change the opinions in my original post but I would love to see Roy get one more match he has a chance in before JDS. My #1 pick would be for Roy v. Mir.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I think Roy is better than most give him credit for and I'm sick of all the talk about Carwin, Cain, and Lesnar. I know they're winning in impressive fashion, but I'm not completely sold. As for Roy, I think he would do very well against a lot of the top fighters right now. But who knows. I'll wait to see them fight Roy before I assume anything.

And Xeb what the hell is up with your avy? lmao

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sadly, I think Roy would get smoked by all of those guys. He's just not big enough in the right areas. I agree that his best chance would be against Cain, he could manage a KO.

I think Roy has some great matchups in the 'regular' HW division. I would love to see him fight Mir or Nogueira. I think he would take Kongo easily.
take Kongo eaisly...i dunno man. I think it could go either way but i cant imagine Kongo would be easy for Roy. alright, im convinced....i wanna see them go at it. my moneys on Kongo maybe 7 out of ten times.

·
The Forum Drunk
9,450 Posts
And Xeb what the hell is up with your avy? lmao
Well I like to put entertaining things in my avy so when my posts suck people at least get something out of em :thumb02:

·
Premium Member
4,223 Posts
Roy has beaten no one...no one of any importance in MMA. The guy is hilarious, and I want him to win cause he is hilarious...but he wouldn't do well against the elite. The guy barely managed to get past Justin Wren for christ sake.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Roy vs. JDS please! We would FINALLY see JDS's jitsu skills in use. :)

·
Banned
0 Posts
I am really starting to think that Roy can do a lil more damage or cause a slightly larger splash in the HW div than I 1st expected.....pretty sure JDS would out strike him, Carwin I think would clean him and seriously the only one of the 3 I see him doing well with is the way Halepop described the Cain fight....

although i could see Roy doing okay in the clinch against the cage and just being basically too fat for Cain to bring down as Roy is good at defending the take down and Cain bring Roy to the mat wouldn't be smart I think Roy's BJJ would be better with his size against Cain....

JMO....

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Cain would own Roy standing

JDS would KILL Roy Standing..Repeat..KILL

Brock would take him down and donkey kong him

Carwin..It would be good untill Cawrwin made contact

IMO I don't see why Cain wouldn't take Roy to the ground though, he's so fast and active there's no way big country subs him..imo

·
Registered
610 Posts
He said himself he was saving the goods for later on when he was on the show. He's beginning to prove that to be true with his 2 KO's. I'm a fan because not only is he good but he is ******* hilarious.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts