Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Royce Gracie

2K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  americanfighter 
#1 ·
You guys think that was the last we will see from him in the UFC (even though he quote "i still got a few more in me")?

Although he was amazing at his time, do you guys think he could take out most of the welterweight and middleweight contenders?

#2 ·
I would like to see him some more. I think that he took to much time out of the ring however, I do not think he could beat most of the serious contenders out there. He is pretty old and he has got some improving. If he took some easier fights focusing on ground and pound defence he would have a chance but it would defanitly be a race before he would have to retire.

He has the skills but will he choose to get them back into shape is the question.

#3 ·
I donno, i dont think he could really win unless he was fighting a BJJ fighter, which would be a very very boring fight.

Ed Herman vs Royce Gracie lol i wanna see that fight.

#5 ·
if matt hughes can beat Royce, Frankie twinkle toes is gunna put a beatdown on Royce also. I agree i think the sport has evolved beyond the Gracies, whilst they were the founders and all...u gotta know when its time to pack it up and sit on the bench, so to speak.

My only concern for Royce is he could do a Ken Shamrock and take a bit of gleam of his name thats all. I somehow doubt we will see him again...

#7 ·
I donno frank triggs so ugly on the ground its not even funny, the might as well put a ribbon on his back because its a freakin xmas gift to the guys he fights.

Then again if you look how much Royce made in that fight hell id come back and get my ass kicked for that amount of money as well.

i think he made like 600k even though he lost.

#9 ·
Why dont you go fight him then?

lol i bet he could KO you standing up lol.

Or even submit you standing up.

People like you really give Ken Shamrock a bad name by putting him in your avatar.

#15 ·
sherdog said:
You guys think that was the last we will see from him in the UFC (even though he quote "i still got a few more in me")?

Although he was amazing at his time, do you guys think he could take out most of the welterweight and middleweight contenders?
i kinda hope thats the last we will see of him in the octagon. for the same reason i didnt want to see jordan come back. why tarnish your legend. thats was sad when he fought hughes. if anything i'd like to see him and randy in a straight submission match. that would be cool

#18 ·
Spit206Fire said:
I donno frank triggs so ugly on the ground its not even funny, the might as well put a ribbon on his back because its a freakin xmas gift to the guys he fights.

Then again if you look how much Royce made in that fight hell id come back and get my ass kicked for that amount of money as well.

i think he made like 600k even though he lost.
Actually I think Royce made 400 k (the highest ever pay day in the UFC) ... Royce was a miracle man back in the day ... I think he would have a hard time beating (and in fact would get beaten) by most of the elite (GSP, Hughes obviously, Sanchez, Frank Trigg). Frank Trigg does give up his back but he lost in that fashion to 2 of the best guys in the world

#21 ·
sherdog said:
I'm not going to argue with you. A draw is a draw.
I think Royce was more impressive than Shamrock because (1) he beat Shamrock and was the first little man to tap out all these bigger men (2) the second fight was a draw ... there were no judges at the time, maybe if there were Royce would have fought a different fight (3) besides 1 and 2, Royce pulled this off being a good 20 to 30 pounds lighter than Shamrock

#22 ·
Royce Rules!

The only way I would want to see Royce back again is if it were in the fasion of the following:

Royce Gracie VS Ken Shamrock
Legend vs Legend

Charity Match or something

#23 ·
sherdog said:
I was thinking, since he left on a bad note, he might want to give it another shot.
i think its best left alone, who would he fight?? some one thats no good, what would that prove?? and what if he lost to that guy. the sport has moved on. there is no shame in that. he shouldnt have fought matt. royce changed fighting all over the world, and was the reason that mma was created. you couldnt be a martial artist anymore, you had to be a mixed martial artist. matt hughes happens to be one of the most well rounded fighters the sport has right now. then look at the other guys right underneath him, gsp, penn..royce cant beat these guys in mma. thats just the way it is

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.