Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Resident Drunk
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SAKARA OUT AGAINST MARQUARDT FOR UFC 116

Just days after a middleweight match-up between Nate Marquardt and Alessio Sakara was confirmed for UFC 116 in Las Vegas, it was canceled just as quickly.

MMAWeekly.com confirmed with sources close to the fight that the bout had been called off, and a report from F4Wonline.com states that Sakara's father has passed away and the Italian born fighter will not be able to compete in the July fight.

There's been no official word about a replacement opponent for Marquardt, but all signs point to the Colorado based fighter staying on the same card with a different match-up.

Sakara was stepping into the bout at UFC 116 on a 3-fight win streak, including a TKO in his last fight against James Irvin at the UFC on Versus show in March.

As for Marquardt, he'll be looking to get back on the winning track after he was derailed in his last fight against Chael Sonnen, losing a unanimous decision to the Team Quest fighter.

MMAWeekly.com will have more information on Marquardt's next fight as it becomes available.
Source: http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=11402&zoneid=4

Surprised nobody posted this yet, but I find this an odd reason to pull out of a fight which is two months away. Like dont' get me wrong, I love my dad and if passed away I would mourn his loss but I don't think I'd pull out of a fight which is two months off.

Discuss....

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
It's easy to sit at home and wonder what it would be like and what you'd do. I thought when my grandfather died that I wouldn't cry - In fact, I was sure of it. When it happened, I cried like a baby.

Point being, I'd love to see this fight but I'd rather not see a fighter come in and have a terrible performance because his heart was elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
SAKARA OUT AGAINST MARQUARDT FOR UFC 116

Source: http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=11402&zoneid=4

Surprised nobody posted this yet, but I find this an odd reason to pull out of a fight which is two months away. Like dont' get me wrong, I love my dad and if passed away I would mourn his loss but I don't think I'd pull out of a fight which is two months off.

Discuss....
It's not odd at all. Perhaps he's too down to want to train, then what? Everyone is different and there's no way to predict how you will cope with a loss of a family member.

I think you need to give a little more thought before saying stuff like that and respect Alessio's decision.

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
guess the apocalypse is gonna take a bit longer....

·
Resident Drunk
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I'm not mad and I'm not really giving Sakara shit for pulling out. I understand it can affect his training but the fight is far enough that I figured he'd have time to morum his fathers passing and train for the fight and hopefully if he won, dedicate that fight to his dad.

I know many other mma fighters who went through similar thigns and still fought. But as vilify said we're all different.

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
We have no idea of the family obligations he now has. At this level the game requires 100% mental focus. offer your condolences and move on.

·
Registered
229 Posts
No I'm not mad and I'm not really giving Sakara shit for pulling out. I understand it can affect his training but the fight is far enough that I figured he'd have time to morum his fathers passing and train for the fight and hopefully if he won, dedicate that fight to his dad.

I know many other mma fighters who went through similar thigns and still fought. But as vilify said we're all different.
Depending on your culture, a death in the family can take a long time to settle. I'm chinese and when my dad passed away, we had to have special ceremonies on every 7th day for about 21 days. Also we have a lot of rules about not attending any "red" events (celebrated events such as birthdays, weddings etc), not wearing the color red for 100 days, etc. So depending on the culture how a death is mourned is very different.

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
I feel for Sakara, and its a perfectly valid reason to pull out. Plus, he's Roman Catholic, death's a pretty big event. If he was here in Ireland he'd be far too drunk to train. But he's an East Roman Catholic, they do shit differently I think.

·
NO. 1 *BONER*
7,727 Posts
Everyone is different.
Losing a close member of your family, worse...our father, cand be devastating.
I think he took a lot in consideration and took the best decision for him.
At this moment his state of mind is the thing that matters the most. I feel for him, but this is life.
I think, after this time-out, he will come back stronger and motivated than before.

·
Registered
399 Posts
He looked good in his last fight. Hope everything works out for him and he comes back stronger.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
He looked sharper than ever against Irvin. Isn't he at ATT now? His hands were rapid and I was expecting him to stop Irvin (without eye damage) in the early rounds.

Looking forward to seeing him back once he's got through this tough time.

·
The American Psycho
6,946 Posts
I would say, we are up for Okami vs. Nate now :)
I'm up for that! I think Marquardt vs. Okami will be a lot more interesting then Marquardt vs. Sakara!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
It's probably not just about mourning, I don't know if Sakara has got any siblings that can help him out, but there might be lots of practical arrangements to take care of, especially if the death was unexpected, which is quite possible since Sakara is only 28.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.