Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got to watch Diego Sanchezs' fight from last week and it looks to me as thou the ass woopin he took from BJ changed him and I think this fight has made it worse. He looked lost and confused. Who are some of the contenders ( not previous champions ) that you have seen have this happen to them ...as soon as they take a good beating they never come out of it. It makes me have more respect for the guys that do come back and get back to their old self.

·
Banned
525 Posts
I actually don't think Sanchez has changed that much. The thing is, everybody has realized that he was/is extremely overrated. The only reason he did appear to be good is because he took his mediocre skills and wrapped them in an extremely well conditioned, rapid fire, style. His conditioning and catching people off guard with his mindless blitz of short hooks and uppercuts is all Sanchez has ever had. Now that everybody else in the UFC knows that, Sanchez will struggle to win more than he loses.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Diego is the same, he is still bat-shit crazy and will always be so. But as to the point you were making, he is like a lot of top guys who, in their weight division that get beat, and realize they can't compete with the very best. Look at all the guys that have bounced around, or considered moving, weight classes after losses to find competition: Rich Franklin, Urijah Faber, Wandy, Frank Mir, Brandon Vera, BJ Penn, and list will continue to go on.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I knew after the fight he wouldn't be the same. But his biggest problem is that he's a tweener. He stuggles with his pace at 155, but is too weak at 170.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bat shit crazy..HAHA ..I like that. Yes I know what you are saying with Wandy and Franklin but with these guys they came back especially Franklin after taking two ass woopins from Silva. Thats what I am talking about is after taking a good beating. Franklin has come back and done well. Silva is his only losses since being champion. I think people are overlooking him in his fight with Liddell, I think Franklin is going to win it. Guys like David L. never overcame that one beating, never were right after that.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Well Loiseau's loss to Franklin did the same thing. Franklin seemed to take his fighting spirit, heh.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
I actually don't think Sanchez has changed that much. The thing is, everybody has realized that he was/is extremely overrated. The only reason he did appear to be good is because he took his mediocre skills and wrapped them in an extremely well conditioned, rapid fire, style. His conditioning and catching people off guard with his mindless blitz of short hooks and uppercuts is all Sanchez has ever had. Now that everybody else in the UFC knows that, Sanchez will struggle to win more than he loses.
Actually Sanchez has been pretty good this entire time. He has difficulty with opponents who are faster than him IMO. He never catches people off gaurd because that is what he has always done. He usually can get TDs because he is good but Hathaway got that brutal knee and I don't think diego ever recovered from it. He was afraid to shoot, and afraid to comit to his striking because he kept getting hit coming in because of hathaways reach advantage. I predict Sanchez will come back after this and hopefully be himself again.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts

This. Diego's stand up was glorified brawling but because of his cardio he was often able to overwhelm his opponent. His wrestling is mediocre, his ground game passable. He excels at nothing and because of BJ is now doing it in a weight class he is to small, short and weak for. The sport is continuing to evolve and people have Sanchez figured out.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I knew after the fight he wouldn't be the same. But his biggest problem is that he's a tweener. He stuggles with his pace at 155, but is too weak at 170.
in other words he should find a new profession cuz there is no 160-165 weight class

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
There's nothing wrong with mediocre skills and mad conditioning to back it. Look at most professional boxers. You see the same basic combos over and over again. Jab right cross upercut. Basics combined with good conditioning / heart is a damn good combo.

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
I been saying this for a while now, I have to imagine his mind was in circles more than a week with the number of clean shots he took the head and face. His face was torn apart by BJ and he comes back 5 months later to fight...at WW again.

I seriously should of put money Hathaway on that fight at +200, the notion of Diego coming in awful shape was well on my mind.

NOT to say that Hathaway wasn't incredibly impressive in dominating Diego - but that's probably the worst Diego we've seen ever. Hathaway would likely won the fight anyway with what he showed, but if he's fighting as an underdog next fight in his WW climb effort as a perceived dominating fighter, I'd have no problem putting my money on him.

BJ Penn absolutely crushed Diego for 5 rounds, 22 minutes till the stoppage. Can anyone remember a one-sided beat down like that for 5 rounds..ever, in MMA?

Diego had zero explosiveness, zero effort, he looked like he was finished relative to a previous Diego 1 minute into the fight.

This was the same with Lyoto VS Rua II. Rua anhillated Lyoto, broke his ribs, i'm sure his legs were a rainbow for a few weeks. And Rua was the underdog, please, EASY bet.

Ditto Ace VS Chuck, i'm putting some change on Chuck as an underdog.

·
Let Me Bang Bro
1,967 Posts
Perhaps Hathaway is just good

1 - 20 of 31 Posts