Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Invictus Maneo
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almeida Wins Bellators Boston Tryout
Featherweight Saul Almeida came away the winner of today’s Bellator open tryout in Somerville at Sityodtong.

The 20-year-old trains out of Dragons Lair in Framingham and won a spot on Bellator’s show when they come to Boston again in October. The Brazil native and jiu-jitsu purple belt is 7-0.

“Yeah I’m excited it’s a good opportunity,” said Almeida. “I just want to make it to the top and grow as a fighter. Fighting for Bellator will be a very big step.”

Almeida is a great local fighter, he is considered the #2 featherweight in the northeast. I can't wait to see him fighting in Bellator, wouldn't be surprised to see him make it into the tournament and get to the finals.

·
Invictus Maneo
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They held an open tryout in Boston yesterday, He was picked to fight on the next Bellator card when it comes back to Boston.

The Boston Herald did a bigger write up on it today.
Almeida Shines At Bellator Tryout
Saul “The Spider” Almeida came away the winner of yesterday’s Bellator open tryout in Somerville at Sityodtong.

The 20-year-old trains out of Dragons Lair in Framingham and won a spot on Bellator’s show when it comes to Boston again in October.

“Yeah I’m excited it’s a good opportunity,” Almeida said. “I just want to make it to the top and grow as a fighter. Fighting for Bellator will be a very big step.”

The Brazil native and featherweight is 7-0 and holds XCFL and Wartown Beatdown titles. Almeida has been training for 12 years and has a very good ground game, which he showcased yesterday.

“Saul is a guy we knew about coming in. We almost put him in this show, but he has excellent credentials. His ground game is pretty slick,” said Bellator matchmaker Sam Caplan. “There’s some guys who think of MMA and all they want to see is striking, We’re not like that. We don’t mind grappling and when it does go to the ground we want to see guys who favor submission over position. . . . And Saul definitely goes for submissions and definitely brings it.”

Around 30 fighters showed up and worked out in front of Caplan and fellow matchmaker Jeff Clark. At first the fighters split up into two groups and worked on hitting the pads, showcasing their stand-up abilities. Then fighters split into two groups according to weight classes and grappled.

The tryout lasted around two hours and then seven fighters - Almeida, Anthony Leone, Rodrigo Almeida, Chris Cape, Chris Cariaso, Nick Newell and Kenny Foster - were called to stay around.

“We’re going to only place one guy on our Boston show but the reality is if you can fight even if you don’t walk out of here with a contract you could be called,” Caplan told the fighters.

Though Almeida was selected, Leone and Cariaso were told they will be alternates for Bellator’s up-and-coming 135 bantamweight tournament.

Cariaso flew in from San Francisco for the tryout. The 28-year-old is 9-2 and has fought five times in Strikeforce.

“We found out about it on Friday. I train three times a day,” Cariaso said. “I’ve been doing this since I was a little kid. I’m just looking for the next opportunity. Everything went really well. The trip was worth it.”

When Bellator held a tryout in Kansas City earlier in the year, it ended up using eight fighters in different shows thus far.

“We’re looking for guys who are aggressive and really go at it. Guys who are willing to take chances and put on exciting fights,” Caplan said. “Fighters who are afraid to go for it just doesn’t make for exciting fights. We do it for the crowds, for the people who buy the tickets. We want them to be entertained and enjoy the show.”

1 - 4 of 4 Posts