Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/06/14/scott-coker-if-werdum-beats-fedor-i-would-not-be-shocked/

All the betting lines and discussion may say otherwise, but Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker believes the June 26 fight between Fedor Emelianenko and Fabricio Werdum will be a lot closer than people think.

How close? Enough apparently that Coker would not be "shocked" if Werdum were to hand Fedor his first undisputable loss in Fedor's 10-year MMA career.

"[Werdum], he beat Fedor's brother, he beat Alistair Overeem -- whose our current champion, he just beat Giant Silva," Coker said on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. "This guy is no joke, People are always focusing on the Fedor equation, but believe me, Fabricio can get it done, and if he beats Fedor, I would not be shocked."

(Editor's Note: The MMA Hour, featuring guests Scott Coker and Michael Bisping, should be available later today.)

While Werdum is a top-level heavyweight and a 2009 ADCC grappling champion, he's far from a household name and does not the possess the marketability Overeem commands. For many, Werdum is a hurdle in the way of arguably the biggest Strikeforce card ever -- which could be landing on pay-per-view.

"There has been discussion of PPV and there has been discussion of the Overeem fight, but by no means is that fight done," Coker said. "And what I mean is that, it's not confirmed by Fedor's side, nor has it been confirmed by Overeem's side. Overeem has said he wants to fight him, so after this fight is over, we will sit down with M-1, should Fedor win, and have that conversion with M-1 about him fighting Alistair Overeem."

Besides the Werdum fight itself, the intangibles for Fedor's camp are the potential distractions from the contract renegotiations and his involvement in polictics in Russia. As seen from his stoic nature, Fedor's brilliance can be attributed to his composure and intelligence and Coker says he expects outside distractions will not factor into Fedor's performance inside the cage.

"When you see the look in his eyes when he steps in the cage, I'm not worried," Coker said. "Fedor knows what he's doing and he's had a great training camp from what I hear and he's going to come in there and he's going to be looking to destroy and do some damage. And that's what make this so great. Fabricio has the same attitude and he's been training super hard and it's going to be a great matchup, and an interesting fight."

Another reason to not look past the Werdum fight is simply the limited window of opportunity to watch one of the future legends of the sport fight. Fedor turns 34 in September and Coker says every time Fedor fights is a "treat."

"He probably has a couple more years. He's not in the twilight, he's also not in his 20s where you're not going to be able to see this fighter fight for the next 10 years," he said. "To have him fight for Strikeforce in a co-promotion with M-1 Global, it's going to be a treat."

Scott Coker...LoL he's a funny guy!!!

Thoughts???:confused02:

·
Premium Member
9,226 Posts
Well saying stuff like this creates interest, and interest = viewers... That's about it... Although Werdum winning isn't completely out of the realm of posibility, everything can happen...
It's MMA Scott, damnit

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
...it's mostly hype...

...I agree that it's just to hype the fight. Even if Werdum brings his A game it still won't be enough to beat Fedor. Emelianenko has faced very close loss adversity multiple times with his never say die mental game. He still comes back to win in blowout fashion. The only slight advantage Werdum has is his Jits. Fedor is too intelligent to put himself into being submitted. His ground defense...well has not been beaten yet. Keeping Fedor down is Werdum's only chance to keep trying subs. He won't.
...Fedor is the much stronger fighter and he will power out of submission attempts, may get a good reversal and pound Werdum out. On the feet is where Fedor will most likely end the fight. Fedor uses the cage well with arguably the best footwork of any HW. He will time a huge punch or combination and finish Werdum. It may go all 3 but at some point as usual Fedor will find an opening and BA BOOM! game over. Werdum isn't going to be the one to send out the biggest MMA shockwave ever...

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I too would not be surprised if Werdum beats Fedor, Werdum is no mug, in fact the HW division is a pool of talented fighters which rivals that of the UFC, only there are too many UFC ball suckers to give it the credit it deserves in this forum i have noticed.

Seriously the run that Fedor is been given in the SF HW division is sick, first Rogers then Werdum, then to top it off if his beats Werdum he will be fighting Overeem. I will say one think for Fedor if he comes through that run of opponent still undefeated, he has every right to still claim the P4P best fighter in the world position, but I'm sure Dana will talk his ass off and discredit his claim and use his marketing skills to convince all the UFC ball suckers that you can't be the P4P best fighter in the world or even the best in your division unless you are in the UFC, which is complete BS but the UFC does work very hard to spread that lie.

·
Administrator
15,547 Posts
Werdum is not some low class HW, he's an extremely solid HW with a lot of experience and he has a very dangerous ground game, even Fedor has to be careful with it.

Werdum is no joke.

With that said, Fedor is going to wreck him, and I'd be shocked if he won outside of anything but a submission, and if Fedor stays in his guard, then it would be him risking it, and would have deserved to got subbed.

Knowing Fedor, however, he really, really likes to fight you where you're best at, he stood a lot with Mirko, he was in Nogs guard the entire first fight, stood with both Rogers, Arlovski, and Sylvia (although this one didn't really last that long). If he does jump into Werdum's guard and wants to fight there, then you can best be assured this is going to be one hell of a challenge for Fedor, as it doesn't matter who it is, if you're in Werdum's guard, you're in danger.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I would not be the LEAST bit surprised if Werdum wins this fight by sub stoppage. Fedor likes to fight where the other guy is most comfortable for whatever reason, and if he lays in Werdums guard for to long Werdum will figure something out. I actually like Werdum's chances better than any fighter in the last few years to Fedor. Keep in mind Werdum was considered a top UFC HW before he got caught by JDS and released for it. Im calling it right now.. Werdum via triangle round 3.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Werdum is not some low class HW, he's an extremely solid HW with a lot of experience and he has a very dangerous ground game, even Fedor has to be careful with it.

Werdum is no joke.

With that said, Fedor is going to wreck him, and I'd be shocked if he won outside of anything but a submission, and if Fedor stays in his guard, then it would be him risking it, and would have deserved to got subbed.

Knowing Fedor, however, he really, really likes to fight you where you're best at, he stood a lot with Mirko, he was in Nogs guard the entire first fight, stood with both Rogers, Arlovski, and Sylvia (although this one didn't really last that long). If he does jump into Werdum's guard and wants to fight there, then you can best be assured this is going to be one hell of a challenge for Fedor, as it doesn't matter who it is, if you're in Werdum's guard, you're in danger.
LOL...that shit was funny, made me laugh. I agree, but Im not as keen on Werdum...he is good though...wouldnt be if he were back in UFC...

·
On a Rampage
1,845 Posts
I too would not be surprised if Werdum beats Fedor, Werdum is no mug, in fact the HW division is a pool of talented fighters which rivals that of the UFC, only there are too many UFC ball suckers to give it the credit it deserves in this forum i have noticed.

Seriously the run that Fedor is been given in the SF HW division is sick, first Rogers then Werdum, then to top it off if his beats Werdum he will be fighting Overeem. I will say one think for Fedor if he comes through that run of opponent still undefeated, he has every right to still claim the P4P best fighter in the world position, but I'm sure Dana will talk his ass off and discredit his claim and use his marketing skills to convince all the UFC ball suckers that you can't be the P4P best fighter in the world or even the best in your division unless you are in the UFC, which is complete BS but the UFC does work very hard to spread that lie.
Rogers are you serious? Rogers is a joke. Rogers couldn't beat the likes of Cheick Kongo. Werdum is not a bum, but he's not elite either. Silva, Gonzaga, lil Fedor, prejuice Overeem, and Vera are not amazing wins. He's in the lower half of the HW top 10. There is a big gap in talet between the upper half and lower half. Lesnar, Velasquez, Carwin, and Mir would smash him. Nog and JDS already did. Ovreem has never beaten a top HW. Fedor is the p4p king based on what? That you love him. Look at mmaweekly's and sherdog's rankings. Anderson Silva has beaten 3 out 5 fighters that are ranked directly below him, and he's scheduled to fight another. GSP has beaten 4 out of 5. Fedor 0 out 5, and is not scheduled to fight one anytime soon. Oh and I hate it when Fedor fans claim he's undefeated. He's not. Was there a bad ref decision? maybe. Is it still a loss? yes. You can't rewrite history. Maybe Fedor got screwed in that fight, but he was given a gift against Arona. So I say it evens out.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.