Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Scott Coker: 'My feeling is maybe Fedor should fight Alistair Overeem and the winner gets Fabricio Werdum'
"My feeling is maybe Fedor should fight Alistair Overeem and whoever wins that fight gets to fight Fabricio Werdum. I would love to see that fight too, Alistair and Fedor, I would love to see that fight happen. Here's the thing, we just saw Fedor fight Werdum; I'm not saying we couldn't do the rematch [Fedor vs. Werdum] first but I'm saying there are a couple options on the table. Until we sit down with M-1, we're just talking about different options and that [Fedor vs. Overeem] is one of the options."

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker contemplates giving Fedor Emelianenko a shot at Alistair Overeem's heavyweight title before Fabricio Werdum, despite "The Last Emperor's" first round submission loss to the Brazilian back on June 26. The San Jose fight boss came under heavy criticism for booking Brett Rogers (off a TKO loss) against the returning "Demolition Man" last May and further complicated the heavyweight pecking order with his vision for Overeem's next title defense. Does Emelianenko get first dibs on the Dutchman's belt because it's better for business? Or is M-1 calling the shots? Let's hear some opinions on this potential match-up...

Source - http://www.mmamania.com/2010/7/3/1550867/scott-coker-my-feeling-is-maybe

Strikeforce works backwards it seems. Loser gets a title shot. Twice now. They need to get their act together if they want to be taken seriously.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
Looks like Coker is trying to squeeze an extra fight out of Fedor here.. In his post fight he said that he was only coming back to the U.S. one more time..

·
Registered
143 Posts
SF comes across as a backwards promotion because of stunts like this. This will be the second time that someone who lost a match was propelled to a HW title match while the winner is being put in line to wait.

This is just silly.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Is Werdum already considered the champion without the belt? I don't understand how Coker expects this to make sense.
Coker wants Fedor to fight Overeem for one reason. If Fedor beats Overeem he would get his status back in the minds of many people. Fedor was a huge investment and it has depreciated in value since his loss. A win over Overeem would erase that loss.

That is what he is thinking I believe. Of course I do not know for fact but its perfectly rational. Personally I still believe Fedor needs to do what the rest of the top HWs in the world are doing. Fighting the best on a regular basis. But I know that is not going to happen and if it does it will be too late.

Either way the whole thing stinks. The winner "gets" to fight Werdum? That dont even sound right. Overeem is the Champion. Werdum should get the title shot but Coker does not seem to worry about the legitimacy of his HW division. He is making some big mistakes. This is what happens when you put all your eggs into one basket. I take Coker as an intelligent man and one would think he had learned from EliteXC's mistakes. Partnering up with M1 is really starting to backfire on him like most thought it would. Further proof that the UFC made the right choice by choosing not to co-promote.

Just because the person you wanted to win did not does not mean you change the structure of a division. If you are going to do that then why make them fight in the first place? Just give the belt to Fedor and be done with it.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
In all honesty, he may want to see Werdum v. Fedor for the belt, but then again, you're just screwing over your current HW champion.
IDK how good Overeems and Cokers relationship are at this point.

Overeem has only competed how many times in Strikeforce in the last 3 years?

Now that Strikeforce has begun to bloom maybe Overeem walking back into the spotlight isn't what Coker wants.

Melendez, Frank, Cung, Thompson, and company were putting on the shows when nobody cared if Strikeforce lived or died. And it looks like their loyalty to the organization has been returned by big fights and limelight at this point.

·
Registered
816 Posts
He was building up this epic fight of fedor vs reen by messing around with title shots by given rodgers vs reen and fedor vs doom the idea started off sound as reem won his fight and goot the hype leave it to fedor to lose when he most had to win for strikforce lol cokers dream was broke and now he trying to fix it

·
Sleepy
2,153 Posts
if Coker has any business sense he won't do this. Yes Fedor v Overeem would be epic and would be amazing for Strikeforce, but Fedor just lost a number one contender spot. No matter the organisation the winner of that fight should most definitely fight for the title, that's just how things work.

Having someone come of a loss to fight for the title is just silly in my opinion, having another fighter also come off a loss to fight for the title is just insane in my opinion.

I understand Coker's thoughts, Fedor v Overeem is a huge pay day and great publicity, but Fedor lost that should be the end of.

·
The Title Guy
18,080 Posts
Fedor v Overeem

We all want to see it but that is not how things should work. If Coker makes this decision it's going to be the but of all possible criticism that Strikeforce will recieve!

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Strikeforce giving title shots to guys that have lost their most recent fight is a HUGE ******* joke. And the joke isnt funny. It's sad.

This ^^^^ and the fact that they let Overeem hold the belt for 2 years without a title defense is just amateur.

And to think some people want to think they are better than the UFC, thats just silly,

·
Registered
650 Posts
Strikeforce giving title shots to guys that have lost their most recent fight is a HUGE ******* joke. And the joke isnt funny. It's sad.

This ^^^^ and the fact that hey let Overeem hold the belt for 2 years without a title defense is just amateur.

And to think some people want to think they are better than the UFC, that just silly,
Who cares about all that drama if they have a great fight. I would sacrifice all that logic for Fedor v Overeem. Dream mach

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I've already posted in another thread the reason why this may be done. Strikeforce and many others now believe that Fedor can't win or at least his chances aren't that high, so if he loses twice in a row, they will cut his paycheck in half or even more and refuse a co-promotion with M-1 on the current terms because Fedor simply won't be worth it with 2 losses via stoppages. I hope Emelianenko wins but it is very difficult to be confident here and SF knows it. Strikeforce is doing the right thing from the business standpoint, and Emelianenko with M-1 should also be glad that they are being given a chance to redeem himself by facing much more formidable opponent and the guy who beat him afterwards if Fedor is successful. On the other hand, if M-1 and Fedor will start ducking Overeem that will prove that Fedor is done with fighting the elite because he is no longer sure in his capabilities.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
...Simple. I expected this. When Fedor crushed Rogers, Brett still got his shot at Overeem. Besides, Overeem vs. Fedor is a bigger money maker and Fedor should respectfully get a title shot since it's the last fight on his Strikeforce contract...I wanna see Overeem & Fedor. I'm sure you want to as well...

P.S. After all of the great fights Fedor has given us fans, he deserves it...

·
Registered
603 Posts
Is Werdum already considered the champion without the belt? I don't understand how Coker expects this to make sense.
I think some of the stuff STRIKEFORCE do like this is weird, maybe itwont be for the belt, it'll just be an interim fight, either way if FEDOR fights and beats Alistair, WERDUM gets his wish of a rematch, and if not he fights Alistair, either way he gets a title shot, plus I really want to see ALISTAIR and FEDOR go at it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts