Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scott Coker says free agent Rory MacDonald is 'somebody we'd definitely be interested in when he's free'

ST. LOUIS – On a night when former UFC heavyweight Matt Mitrione made his Bellator debut, and former UFC champion Benson Henderson was cageside at the Scottrade Center to see him do it, the idea of free agency loomed in the air at Bellator 157: Dynamite 2.

And as of last weekend, there's one notable free agent that could ignite a little bidding war.

Rory MacDonald, who trains at the Tristar Gym in Montreal, fought out his contract in Ottawa against Stephen Thompson. Though he lost to "Wonderboy" it what was thought to be a No. 1 contender's bout, MacDonald is only 26 years old and has gone 9-4 in the Octagon. Two of his losses — against Carlos Condit in 2010 and against current welterweight champion Robby Lawler in 2015 — he found himself winning heading into the final round.

It doesn't hurt that he's a key to the Canadian market.

When asked if Bellator would make a play for MacDonald, Bellator President Scott Coker said there would obviously be interest.

"It really comes down to, we're Bellator, and we're going to go after all free agents," Coker told MMA Fighting after the post-fight press conference. "When [MacDonald's] contract is up, and I think he might have some contingencies in the negotiation period, and we're not going to breach any contracts. But when they are ready to talk, we're here and Rory's somebody we'd definitely be interested in when he's free."

In the Coker-era of Bellator, the promotion has snagged a couple of key free agents, including Mitrione, Phil Davis and Henderson. It also spoke to bantamweight Aljamain Sterling during his free agency period before "The Funk Master" re-upped with the UFC.

Asked if MacDonald losing his last fight heading into free agency would affect anything, Coker shook his head.

"One fight doesn't paint the whole picture," he said.
http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/6/25/12029734/scott-coker-says-free-agent-rory-macdonald-is-somebody-wed-definitely

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
I still think bellator's roster could be under a gag order(injunction).

I know Will Brooks wasn't happy there and he never said anything about it. Even after bellator cut him he never commented or talked about what his situation was. A lot of bellator's fighters haven't fought in almost a year. Not being paid for a year can be a tough place to be, and no one's saying anything about it.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Rory would be good for that division. He has proved to be a good fighter but can't beat the UFC's best.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
I would say that Rory lost chance for another belt fight with losing against Thompson... I don't see how he can beat Thompson as potential new Champion... this could be expected to go for a money hunt in Bellator (no funny Reebok deal)

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
Commentators are fond of saying its the punch you don't see that gets you.

In life as well, its not what you see. Its things like this, you don't see coming.

·
The Title Guy
17,558 Posts
Well knowing how the legal system is going right now and considering who is in power right now this really shouldn't surprise anyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts