Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While "Strikeforce: Nashville" had a few interesting developments, including Jake Shields' upset win over Dan Henderson and the historic matchup of champion vs. champion, Saturday night's event will ultimately be remembered for one thing: the post-fight brawl.

The ugly, CBS-broadcast melee undoubtedly marred what had been a relatively ho-hum night up to that point.

But at the evening's post-event press conference, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker made one thing perfectly clear: the organization had nothing to do with Jason "Mayhem" Miller's presence in the cage. In fact, Coker said Miller should have been able to see the brawl coming.

"There's no room in Strikeforce for that type of behavior," Coker said. "I will not condone and reward that type of behavior. If you're a fighter fighting at the highest level, and you're fighting on CBS, you're fighting on Showtime, you're fighting for Strikeforce – or any other mixed martial arts league – there's no room for that type of behavior.

"This is not something that we'll support or reward in the future."

The entire incident began when Miller entered the cage during Shields' post-fight speech with CBS broadcaster Gus Johnson. Shields hardly got one sentence out before Miller jumped on the mic and asked for a rematch of their 2009 meeting. Shields' teammate, Gilbert Melendez, tried to pull Miller away, and the champion assisted with a shove.

From there, Shields' teammates Nick and Nate Diaz also jumped in the fray, and the cage quickly resembled a barroom brawl – well, a barroom brawl broadcast on national television.

Much of the conversation in the mixed martial arts community following the incident has focused on assigning blame for the dust-up. While Coker was forced to speak about the incident before he had a chance to see it with his own eyes – the exec had already begun his transit to the evening's post-fight press conference when the trouble began – he believes Miller should have been able to foresee the consequences of his cage entrance.

"I didn't see it," Coker said. "I don't know how [Miller] got in there. But when you have the cornermen that Jake has, and something like that happens, you know there's going to be an issue. I don't know why he couldn't have thought that out because I could have told you that prior to them (brawling) that we should have kept them apart.

"I had no idea that [Miller] was going to do that. ... I can say this: no one from my staff brought him there."

Coker said he would wait to receive video evidence of the skirmish before he decides if the promotion will take disciplinary action on the fighters involved. One of the combatants, Nate Diaz, fights for the UFC, so any disciplinary sanctions on him would need to be instituted by the Tennessee Athletic Commission, who will also likely review the incident.

But regardless of what, if any, disciplinary action is taken moving forward, Coker believes the incident was unfortunate and unnecessary.

"I'm going to look at the video and see what happened," Coker said. "I don't have enough information right now, but it's not good for our sport. Our sport is in its infant stages. It's a great sport. These guys are amazing athletes.

"It was an amazing night. I think it was a milestone with Gilbert's fight with the DREAM champion and the Strikeforce champion. For something like that, to try and steal the limelight from a great fighter like Jake Shields, who really imposed his will and his style of fighting on Dan Henderson, I think it's unnecessary."
http://mmajunkie.com/news/18780/strikeforce-exec-says-miller-acted-on-his-own-should-have-expected-fallout.mma

Seriously? He should expect to be jumped by an entire camp for asking for a rematch? Dana White > Scott Coker. When Dana's champ embarrasses the sport at least he has the balls to call him on it.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Poor form + overreaction = what happened. For Coker to say Miller should have known he would have been jumped by 10 guys as if their reaction was expected and excusable is ridiculous.

Coker and his company is responsible for not controlling the space. I don't think there should be a million dudes in the cage and you should know who is entering it and controlling the mike.

When Rashad came in against Rampage it was entirely staged and controlled. They were virtually the only guys in Octagon at the time and Rashad didn't snatch the mike from Rampage.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I think what Coker meant was, when you are going into the cage to start something with someone who has the Diaz brothers in his corner, you should expect something like that to happen. I mean, lets be honest, the Diaz don't have the cleanest track record for these kinds of things.

But I do agree, I don't like how all the blame is being placed on Miller. He no doubt should not have been there, but still.

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
i 100% agree with all the posts here, this whole thing is ridiculous and i believe once Scott sees that bullshit that i saw over and over, he SHOULD be pretty pissed...

I dont see the Tennessee Athletic Commission showing to much mercy because it was on TV, and there are to many people expecting SOMETHING to happen because of this Ridiculous incident!

I really hope they cant fight for a year or something because of this bullshit!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I honestly don't really care that much about the incident. It was a gong show and made them all look like fools. I say fine or suspend for a short period the guilty participants and move on.

I don't know whose reponsible for security or whatever, but c'mon, I didn't see a security guy in there. Coker, if you don't want guys snatching the might from your champ don't let a hundred guys run into the cage.

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
LOL at Scott Coker!

Well he should of known he would get jumped by all but one of our champs if he goes in there to ask for a Rematch... I mean DUH! That happens ALL the time!

Just like there professional announcer said, These things sometimes happen in MMA.... LOL what an IDIOT!

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
IMO I think that Miller is the one that should get thrown under the bus. Yes it was not him that started the huge brawl but it was far too WWE for me taking away the mic before Jake had a chance to thank anyone or really enjoy the moment. Gil just was trying to keep Miller away from what I saw until Shields shoved Miller. and then the Diaz brothers show their normal selves and see a fight and their minds click and say "oh snap! Sh*t just got REAL!"

Gil was the only one who is kind of justified for his actions unless if he actually threw a punch after the camera cut away and I did not see it. This entire thing just makes MMA look bad and there should be a lot of punishment given by both Coker and the athletic commision.

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
IMO I think that Miller is the one that should get thrown under the bus. Yes it was not him that started the huge brawl but it was far too WWE for me taking away the mic before Jake had a chance to thank anyone or really enjoy the moment. Gil just was trying to keep Miller away from what I saw until Shields shoved Miller. and then the Diaz brothers show their normal selves and see a fight and their minds click and say "oh snap! Sh*t just got REAL!"

Gil was the only one who is kind of justified for his actions unless if he actually threw a punch after the camera cut away and I did not see it. This entire thing just makes MMA look bad and there should be a lot of punishment given by both Coker and the athletic commision.
Keep looking for Vids if u still have the one that Cuts off... There are 2, one that played LIVE in the East Coast and the cut version (rerun) from the Westcoast, and yes Shields AND Melendez hit Mayhem...

And once Scott looks at the tapes he is going to eat his words, and hopefully actually grow some nuts and do something about it

·
CoutureCop
6,091 Posts
Coker is a tool... and now has shown himself to be an even bigger tool that DW.

I don't see how anyone can really "blame" Miller. Sure, it is WWE'ish. Yeah, it might have been disrespectful to jump in there in the middle of the post fight commentary. Who cares. That DOES NOT make it ok for Shields camp, primarily the Diaz tools, to attack him like they were jumping him into the bloods.

What miller did was disrespectful, what sheilds camp did was completely inexcusable.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Keep looking for Vids if u still have the one that Cuts off... There are 2, one that played LIVE in the East Coast and the cut version (rerun) from the Westcoast, and yes Shields AND Melendez hit Mayhem...

And once Scott looks at the tapes he is going to eat his words, and hopefully actually grow some nuts and do something about it
Can you give a link that can show me that one because I want to see it but can;t find it.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
I have no problem with what Miller did. He walked up and waited then the announcer asked Shields to talk to him...

They started talking and out of nowhere Melendez shows up, starts pushing between Shields and Miller and talking crap and riling Miller and Shields up.

Melendez should be taking the blame but he is the new LW champion and P4P great now :sarcastic09: so he will get away scott free...

·
"I
6,923 Posts
Nothing to say that hasn't already been said. Coker is protecting his champions, and he's doing so at the expense of Mayhem, who will no doubt be the sacrificial lamb on this.
this. 100% this. Coker has always protected his champions (at least the ones who are ranked) by giving them crap fights unless he wants them to get beat (Henderson/Shields was made to get Shields beaten and everyone knows it). Totally believable that he's doing that to Miller. I honestly hope he goes back the the UFC. I could care less if the dude isn't going to be a contender, he's entertaining as hell.

EDIT: WOW! After watching the above video, that's ridiculous. Shields tapped Mayhem on the stomach, acknowledging him and then Mayhem comes in. He was just standing there until Jake acknowledged that he was there or whatever and them Melendez just goes ape shit... wow.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.