Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
SikWithIt
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If it’s a rematch he wants, it’s a rematch he’ll get.

Scott Smith has never been a fighter to back down from a challenge, and his last opponent wants a second crack at him. So Cung Le will face the heavy hitter from the Bay Area when the two square off again in San Jose, Calif., on June 26 as the co-main event for the upcoming Strikeforce and M-1 Global co-promoted event on Showtime.

The bout was confirmed to MMAWeekly.com by sources close to the fight on Wednesday.

Just a day ago, Strikeforce announced the June 26 event headlined by top heavyweight fighter Fedor Emelianenko making his long awaited return to the promotion to face former UFC fighter Fabricio Werdum in the night’s main event.

Rumors have circled for weeks about the rematch between Le and Smith, and now it’s official. The two middleweights will go to battle again in June. They first met in December 2009 with Smith knocking Le out cold in the third round of their fight.

Le, who has also been busy with movie obligations of late, was doing very well in the fight up to the point in the third round where Smith came alive and blasted the former San Shou fighter with punches that ended his night.

If there were any questions remaining from the first go round, the two fighters will meet again to settle the score.
Should be a fun card Fedor vs Werdum Le vs Scott 2

·
Squirrel Fighting Champ
2,719 Posts
Cung Le via UD. Smith showed serious ability to bounce back from wicked thrust kicks. If he hadn't been able to get that luckier than hell KO, he would have lost by UD the first time. Le doesn't seem to have much KO power but he has a remarkable ability to wear his opponents down with those kicks of his.

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
I love to watch Le work I think he could kick A. Silva around for a few minutes, maybe a round.

But Scott, he's just a regular guy. He really doesn't have a lot going for him except his willingness to keep fighting. I love him!

WAR SCOTTY

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
Scott Smith via viscous KO, Smith went in there and was timid giving Le to much respect because he bought in to the hype. Smith took Le's best shots and was still standing which will boost his confidence. Don't expect Smith to be as reserved this time he will come out swinging and put the doubters to rest. Cung Le sucks, he has always sucked.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Scott Smith via viscous KO, Smith went in there and was timid giving Le to much respect because he bought in to the hype. Smith took Le's best shots and was still standing which will boost his confidence. Don't expect Smith to be as reserved this time he will come out swinging and put the doubters to rest. Cung Le sucks, he has always sucked.
I agree. Smith knows he can take the best Le has now. he's gonna go in throwing bombs and knock him out again.

·
M.I.A
2,550 Posts
This fight has about zero interest for me, seems like Strikeforce is running out of matchups.

·
Registered
169 Posts
i'm excited to see both main events. i haven't even seen a werdum fight yet, but recently found out he is a chute boxe fighter, so i'm intrigued now. ha

·
Registered
603 Posts
I love to watch Le work I think he could kick A. Silva around for a few minutes, maybe a round.

But Scott, he's just a regular guy. He really doesn't have a lot going for him except his willingness to keep fighting. I love him!

WAR SCOTTY
I love watching Scott Smith fight, he always brings it, no fake knee, or Kalib starnes action here, the guy is a warrior.
There aint too many that have his heart Guida, Shamrock, Sakuraba he's got to be right there with them, good luck Scotty.

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
i'm excited to see both main events. i haven't even seen a werdum fight yet, but recently found out he is a chute boxe fighter, so i'm intrigued now. ha
**giggles at this comment**

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
well now....he did pass through chute box.....briefly...once..
I think he is still there and his stand up is improving but come on he is a BJJ guy who somehow got fat at Chute Box who is known for insane cardio.

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
I think he is still there and his stand up is improving but come on he is a BJJ guy who somehow got fat at Chute Box who is known for insane cardio.
He went to 'em about 3 years ago, really only trained briefly I think. They may still claim him ( shows how far they've fallen) but I think he lives in CA now and has his on school.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
Should be an easy win for Cung! Smith had nothing to offer him for 2 1/2 rounds.. Cung became careless and unconcentrated, because of his weak cardio. He won't gas again and see Smith's shot coming for the full 3 Rounds this time around!

Cung via UD! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Strike force giving Cung Le a do-over on what was supposed to be a spoon fed victory for him.

Well, at least it will satisfy those who boo whenever a fight hits the ground...

But I really wanna see Cung Le in a true mma match.

·
Cheers.
5,341 Posts
Kinda crappy for Smith. I mean, what was the point of the first fight?

Le wasn't "robbed by the judges" or stopped on a cut. He was knocked the F out.

But yeah, at least they'll STAND AND BANG! WOOOOO!!!

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
I am not surprised by this at all. Strikeforce is trying to hype of Cung as this incredible fighter, so they are trying to set him up to avenge the loss so they can generate hype around him again. I personally think that Cung Le is hugely overrated and would be beaten by a top fighter.

·
Squirrel Fighting Champ
2,719 Posts
I am not surprised by this at all. Strikeforce is trying to hype of Cung as this incredible fighter, so they are trying to set him up to avenge the loss so they can generate hype around him again. I personally think that Cung Le is hugely overrated and would be beaten by a top fighter.

See I think he's underrated for a couple reasons. (1)He rely's on side snap kicks, something rather foreign to most MMA fans, and since its unfamiliar it is thought to be inferior. (2) The majority of Le's notoriety in China comes from his participation in Sanda competitions. These competitions are relatively unknown in the US and are instinctively compared to Karate competitions, which they are in no way like. Sanda is full contact to the whole body, it is remarkably K1-like.

In my personal opinion, Cung Le was putting on a clinic until Scott Smith landed a nice shot, Le couldn't shake it off, and Smith landed another good shot, and another, and another. Shit happens to every fighter, and since Le was on a 21 month layover after filming Fighting and Pandorum then a short camp...I can write off the loss.

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
See I think he's underrated for a couple reasons. (1)He rely's on side snap kicks, something rather foreign to most MMA fans, and since its unfamiliar it is thought to be inferior. (2) The majority of Le's notoriety in China comes from his participation in Sanda competitions. These competitions are relatively unknown in the US and are instinctively compared to Karate competitions, which they are in no way like. Sanda is full contact to the whole body, it is remarkably K1-like.

In my personal opinion, Cung Le was putting on a clinic until Scott Smith landed a nice shot, Le couldn't shake it off, and Smith landed another good shot, and another, and another. Shit happens to every fighter, and since Le was on a 21 month layover after filming Fighting and Pandorum then a short camp...I can write off the loss.
In the sport of MMA, he does not have 1 single notable victory yet. That is why I have not bought into the fight one time yet. Strikeforce is hyping him up to be come great MMA fighter when he has not proven himself in MA at all yet.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.