Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The way merchandizing works in theory is.

#1 Sean O'Malley has 1 million followers on instagram
#2 If only 1% of his instagram followers buy his t-shirt it equates to 10,000 sales
#3 If his t-shirt is priced at $20 times 10,000 sales that's $200,000 gross income

Merchandizing is commonly utilized by youtubers and internet personalities.

Its surprising more MMA fighters don't get in on it.

·
The Title Guy
17,317 Posts
Several MMA fighters do utilize it like when I went to Xtreme Couture once he had his own line of apparel so several fighters do it. It's probably not as common because they depend so much on sponsorship's and apparel is technically a new business. So that only adds to the complications of taxes.

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Several MMA fighters do utilize it like when I went to Xtreme Couture once he had his own line of apparel so several fighters do it. It's probably not as common because they depend so much on sponsorship's and apparel is technically a new business. So that only adds to the complications of taxes.

I think people tried the apparel route back in the day. Back before Gegard Mousasi had less than half the number of twitter followers Sage Northcutt had. Clothing line wasn't a great financial strategy back when guys like Mousasi only had 10,000 followers on social media.

MMA is much bigger and more mainstream today than it was back then. You can see it in the $$$ growth of the ESPN deal over the Fox sports TV deal. Everywhere. Merchandizing in MMA imo will work much better today than it did 5-10 years ago.

People selling their bath water won't make much. People have no use for that. But with things like coffee mugs, calendars, shirts. Those are things people will actually use. People with a following can often sell a lot more of that than they might think.

Funny fact: the US tax code is actually like 50,000 to 100,000 pages long. I think most hire someone to do taxes for them if things get complicated.

·
The Title Guy
17,317 Posts
Well one way to look at it is that if fighters have similar followings to YouTubers who have similar online merchandising stores, then they can get extra to what they make as fighters. It's just a matter of getting their lines going with merchandising websites that maybe even YouTubers use and there's extra money. And yeah it would involve tax man.

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sold like $100 worth of t-shirts on cafepress back in the day.

Drew a pi symbol ϖ with a mouse. Uploaded that as my image to put on products hoping to appeal to geeks and math nerds who memorize digits of pi 3.1415926535 etc. $100 net income. Then I looked @ how much cafepress made and it was like $1,000. Decided to try something else.

I would guess profits for a professional fighter with any type of following on social media would be much much more than that. I see youtubers buying big houses driving nissan GTRs with only their own brand of merchandise and youtube as income.

·
The Title Guy
17,317 Posts
Well remember that YouTubers typically have an array of income not just including those YouTube video add and their own brand merchandise. They get various sponsorship deals and sometimes they will even get into movies and get other media deals. The smart ones will also start companies as well.

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well remember that YouTubers typically have an array of income not just including those YouTube video add and their own brand merchandise. They get various sponsorship deals and sometimes they will even get into movies and get other media deals. The smart ones will also start companies as well.

"Finding Over $1,400 of Gold While Scuba Diving!!"

Rate the above side hustle on a scale of 1 thru 10 plz.

If I remember right 95% of small businesses fail within 5 years. That statistic comes from back when I used to study business and finance. Its true that there are many immigrants who travel to america and start and mom and pop store they can use to put their kids through college, buy a house, etc. But I think people tend to underestimate how much time and work it takes to make that a reality. Its much harder to do that successfully today with walmart, amazon, target and other big retailers putting many mom and pop stores out of business.

If you ever have a choice between starting a business which could have a 95% chance of failing in 5 years or scuba diving for $1,400 in gold in a single day.

Don't be afraid to think outside the box.

·
The Title Guy
17,317 Posts
Yeah, I've heard about these YouTubers who make it their business literally to do scuba diving in rivers for stuff that's been discarded over the years. Though there are some crazy surprises that people sometimes come across, like the guy who found human ashes. If someone were going to dumb ashes in a river why dump it in the container?

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Pearl divers appear to have one of the best side hustles of all time.

Love what the guy said about money giving people stone hearts.

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They claimed some pearls are worth $200,000.

The tour guide says he found many such pearls and gave them to the poor.

Not wanting his heart to turn to stone.

Great story.

·
The Title Guy
17,317 Posts
Yeah well if they make enough money and they can find something that is pretty much a renewable resource which is valuable why not give to charity? This is the definition of giving to charity and being generous and being a good steward of what it given to a person. They are the greatest among humanity.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think people tried the apparel route back in the day. Back before Gegard Mousasi had less than half the number of twitter followers Sage Northcutt had. Clothing line wasn't a great financial strategy back when guys like Mousasi only had 10,000 followers on social media.

MMA is much bigger and more mainstream today than it was back then. You can see it in the $$$ growth of the ESPN deal over the Fox sports TV deal. Everywhere. Merchandizing in MMA imo will work much better today than it did 5-10 years ago.

People selling their bath water won't make much. People have no use for that. But with things like coffee mugs, calendars, shirts. Those are things people will actually use. People with a following can often sell a lot more of that than they might think.

Funny fact: the US tax code is actually like 50,000 to 100,000 pages long. I think most hire someone to do taxes for them if things get complicated.
Thanks for this post Angie! I love your article! The content is very valuable. It shows that you spent time researching this and you have managed to turn it into an incredible piece of valuable content.

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for this post Angie! I love your article! The content is very valuable. It shows that you spent time researching this and you have managed to turn it into an incredible piece of valuable content.

AFAIK this is a spam bot account btw.

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
http://instagr.am/p/CDcMXU-lQZs/
1.6 million followers on youtube.

$43,962 in t-shirt sales in 1 month.

He donated proceeds for that month to a charity cause.

A lot of MMA fighters and MMA gyms could probably do the same. For whatever reason, they choose not to.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts