6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The score is PRIDE:1 UFC:0

Todays bout, Sean "Muscle Shark" Sherk v Takanori "The Fireball Kid" Gomi

Sean Sherk (30-2-1)
5'6" 170lbs (77kg)
Style: Wrestling
Titles: None, will be competing for the UFC Lightweight title in October
Fact: Sean Sherk's only two losses were in the welterweight division.

Takanori Gomi (25-3-0)
5'8" 154lbs (70kg)
Styles: Wrestling, Judo and Japanese Jiu-jitsu
Titles: PRIDE Lightweight Champion
Fact: Takanori Gomi ended the 72-0 professional competition record of Ralph "The Pitbull" Gracie in 6 seconds with a knee to the head.

This one has a poll on it.

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I voted Sherk. He's never lost a fight at 155 and I don't expect him to for a long time.

KenFlo is toast.

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
gomi is a best but i think sherk could eek out a decision,, with numerous takedowns..similar to what bj did against gomi(except no submission)

·
LHW Champ
781 Posts
Sherk is to strong for Gomi, he has great wrestling skills and exellent submission defense. Gomi would never get his game on in that fight. Sherk to win

·
Registered
168 Posts
IronMan said:
Strikes would be the only way that Gomi could end this fight. [/url]
i agree with him there sherk is simply too big for gomi.. i think stevenson is going to give sherk some problems at lw in ufc... stevenson is also a big 155er and has excellent submissions and pretty good wrestling as well i think he would catch sherk it would be a good fight though

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that Stevenson is lacking in the brute strength and/or striking skills necessary to take Sean Sherk. Remember, Sherk's only been overpowered once, and that was Matt Hughes. I don't think that Stevenson, even though he's a great fighter, can grapple with the Shark.

I think that the only fighter who even has a shot at Sherk is KenFlo, and I think Dana White knows it too. Sherk is back in the Lighweight division, so he may slip up in his training, and KenFlo is a good enough striker and submission fighter to take advantage of that, plus he's very comfortable working from his back. Still, my money's on Sherk.

·
1 2 3 Blast Off!
2,972 Posts
IronMan do you think That Pulvers could beat Sherk?
ANd weren't all of Kenny's wins basically over chumps that just could strike?
and I have never seen gomi fight but sherk for sure.

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think that Jens is capable of taking advantage of Sherk's mistakes, but I don't think he has the ground skills to deal with Sherk. KenFlo is a better ground fighter then Pulver, so I expect him to last a little bit longer against the groundnpound.

I posted Gomi's highlight reel because alot of people haven't seen him fight. I still think Sherk will be the undisputed lightweight champion in any organization.

·
1 2 3 Blast Off!
2,972 Posts
If Kenny is the only one that can really last with Sherk then Sherk will be the champ for a long long time.
And isn't jens pulver a striker? then sherk would beat him easily on the ground.

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The score is even at UFC: 1, PRIDE 1.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts