Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been lurking here for years and decided to join the forum, recently. I hope I can contribute some stuff here or there. I am in my late 40ties and in my second fighting sports career. I used to be a decent fighter as a teen and young adult. Then lost interest and just went to the fitness gym on and off. For the past 2 years I am back at training boxing and a bit of kickboxing. I mostly work the heavy bags, do some limited sparring and help out others with their training on and off. I feel as fit as I was in my 20ies, but I know I have to be more careful at my age. Heeling injuries takes a lot longer and therefore it is important for me to try to stay as safe of possible during my workouts.

My newest training experince involves semi-elastic hand wraps.

In the past I used to wear static, non-elastic handwraps. I still have my last cotton pair from Everlast that I found in my old sports bag on my mom's the attic. It's an act to put them on. I need to be very diligentl in adding layers on the knuckles and taping them up. More layers on the outside of the fist and tape to avoid the wraps being too thick inside the palm of my hands. Putting on non-elastic wraps requires a lot of patience and takes its time. I love it, but sometimes it just takes too long. If a mistake happens I have to start all over again.

I know that elastic bandages and gause aren't very good because they will cut blood supply to the fingers and tire down your hand. That's why elastic ones aren't a good idea. But what about semi-elastic wraps? Hmmm, they didn't look as bad. They were a lot thinner than non-elastic. This cretes less fabric in the palm of the hand and makes it easier to close the fingers. They are cheaper and not that bad looking, either. I decided to get 2 pairs when I bought my last set of 16 Oz. Sparring gloves from Top Ten. Here is my experience with them.

I picked semi-elastic hand wraps from Fighter brand at a length of 3.5 meters or 138 inches. The material feels natural. It's a mix of elastic fabric and cotton. It has a loop at one end and a wide velcro closure at the opposite side. It's easy to use. Spreading the bandage around the hand, knuckles and fist requires a slight pull. I always have to pull a bit more to make the wrap stay tense. It took me 2 or 3 tries to find the appropriate tension to keep the bandages firm. I use coach tape to affix the wraps between fingers and on the back of the hand in addition to closing the velcro strap. This way I limit the bandages' movement inside my gloves when working out. They stay in the same spot all the time. The main thing to watch out for: Wraps need to stay firm when putting them on. A bit too loose and they will dislocate. On the contrary I need to avoid putting them on too firmly, because then blood supply to the hands will be handicapped and hands might feel a bit numb. That's what happened in my first workout. I quickly worked out the right way of putting them on and love working out with them ever since. To me semi-elastic handwraps are as good as static ones. Their big advantage is the thinness. This way I have less material inside the palm of my hands which lets me clench my fist more easily. I can have a good heavy bag workout. In addition they were just around 4 bucks a pair. That's a lot cheaper than most brand name non-elastic boxing bandages.

Attached a few pictures of my wraps. If you notice: The material will shrink a bit. After washing they will become about 4 inches shorter and about one fifth of an inch less wide. In return they will provide a more cozy cotton-like feeling on the skin.

Here is the product detail:
https://www.fighters-inc.com/fighter-handwraps-band-f-white-459.html

After each workout they are spread out in bright sun light for half an hour. That dries them out. They are washed after every 3 or 4 workouts. My images were taken after about 4 months of daily use. In comparison a new set of bandages. I expect them to last about a year. One of my mistakes was to put them in the dryer. I would suggest hanging them up after the wshing machine is done with them. That will prolong their lifespan a bit.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts