Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It's one thing to deny responsibility for your own Twitter page when your creative insults start to draw attention on mainstream news outlets — particularly when you're trying to lead a double-life as a shit-stirring heel and a respectable business owner and candidate for the Oregon State Legislature. Sure, it's a lie that's easily disproven, but at least we understand the motivation. What we can't understand is the way Chael Sonnen constantly lies about everything. His record, his opponents, general details about things that happen to him in his daily life, you name it. Obvious, shameless lies. My God, they just keep coming.

So far, I've been a fan of Sonnen's verbal abuse of Anderson Silva, because Silva kind of deserves it, and nobody else has had the stones to disrespect the Spider the way Sonnen has. But watching the above MMA Connected clip this morning, I couldn't help but feel that Sonnen's schtick has officially jumped the shark — and that he might not even be in control of himself anymore. Let's run down this interview appearance, point-by-point...

- He starts by quoting the Twitter feed that he denied writing on Friday.

- He makes references to Anderson Silva's "prissy little ass" and Monster.com. Okay, fine, this guy knows how to cut a promo.

- This is what really did it for me: "You gotta understand, I've never lost to a middleweight fighter and he has. Any loss I've ever had has been at a different weight class." See, if I was running against Chael in the Oregon House of Representatives general election, my attack ad would go something like this: "Chael Sonnen says he's never lost to a middleweight fighter. But he was submitted by Demian Maia, Paulo Filho, and Jeremy Horn — all in 185-pound contests. Chael Sonnen: No honesty, no submission defense, not the right choice for Oregon."

- Soon after that gem, he hits us with this: "Trash-talking is where you make up something about a guy; I've never made anything up." Woof.

- And then, as pointed out on the UG, Sonnen ends his appearance by ripping off an Aziz Ansari punchline with no attribution whatsoever. Which makes him a joke-thief as well as a liar.

At this point, I can only conclude the following: Like Herschel Walker, Chael Sonnen suffers from dissociative identity disorder. Hear me out. First, a general definition for those of you who aren't familiar with this terrible condition:

Dissociative identity disorder is a psychiatric diagnosis that describes a condition in which a person displays multiple distinct identities or personalities (known as alter egos or alters), each with its own pattern of perceiving and interacting with the environment. In the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems the name for this diagnosis is multiple personality disorder. In both systems of terminology, the diagnosis requires that at least two personalities routinely take control of the individual's behavior with an associated memory loss that goes beyond normal forgetfulness; in addition, symptoms cannot be the temporary effects of drug use or a general medical condition.

Think about it. You've got Chael Sonnen the squeaky clean political robot, who has never mentioned his involvement in cage-fighting. Then, you've got the insult-comic mixed martial artist, undefeated at middleweight, who lives in a world where Aziz Ansari doesn't exist and it's actually Sonnen himself who co-stars on Parks and Recreation. Both Chael Sonnens run separate Twitter accounts, it should be noted, and of course neither of these two personalities is entirely grounded in reality. Maybe the "real" Chael Sonnen still exists somewhere. He's the guy who lost to Maia and Filho (and all the rest), and understands that Brazilians don't speak Spanish. But he's been buried under the weight of the others, and we may never see him again.
http://www.cagepotato.com/serious-q...-sonnen-suffers-multiple-personality-disorder

It was funny for a while, now it's just getting old, just shut up and beat him Chael or shut up and get your ass kicked, either way get in the gym and stop talking please....

Reactions: oldfan

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The writer of that article takes things way too seriously. It's trash talk, and it's funny as hell. Get over it.
The only thing that really bothered me was he blatantly ripped off Aziz Ansari, but I really do kind of want Chael to shut up now, it's starting to sound really forced, like he's trying to top what he's said, not just talking anymore.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
The only thing that really bothered me was he blatantly ripped off Aziz Ansari, but I really do kind of want Chael to shut up now, it's starting to sound really forced, like he's trying to top what he's said, not just talking anymore.
That's exactly what he wants you to feel though. He's gonna be raking in the PVP buys when the fight happens.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That's exactly what he wants you to feel though. He's gonna be raking in the PVP buys when the fight happens.
He wants me to be bothered because he ripped off a comedian?

I mean I will be buying 117, but it has nothing to do with him, it's the Fitch Alves fight and the rest of the card +Anderson Silva, no matter who he is fighting. Chael is just kind of showing to be a classless human being, I love trash talk, but he is now saying things because he thinks no one will fact check him and ripping off people, that's classless, not saying he's going to beat Anderson.

I really don't think Chael is smart enough to talk like this just to sell a PPV, people are giving him too much credit haha.

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
He wants me to be bothered because he ripped off a comedian?

I mean I will be buying 117, but it has nothing to do with him, it's the Fitch Alves fight and the rest of the card +Anderson Silva, no matter who he is fighting. Chael is just kind of showing to be a classless human being, I love trash talk, but he is now saying things because he thinks no one will fact check him and ripping off people, that's classless, not saying he's going to beat Anderson.

I really don't think Chael is smart enough to talk like this just to sell a PPV, people are giving him too much credit haha.
He's getting a lot of attention from it, and its hyping the fight up. Now his only problem is topping what he's already said. He will continue to talk until the fight starts. If you don't like it, don't watch his interviews.

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He's getting a lot of attention from it, and its hyping the fight up. Now his only problem is topping what he's already said. He will continue to talk until the fight starts. If you don't like it, don't watch his interviews.
If even the people who dislike Sonnen will make threads about him and watch his videos, then I think he's doing a pretty good job.
I really have nothing against the guy, he's just so clearly not good at trash talking it painful to watch....

·
Premium Member
4,601 Posts
You guys are missing the big picture.

He just lied his way into an Anderson Silva spot and is talked about among the MMA community. He's doing everything right.

Lets remember folks, at the end of the day, it all comes down to money, and Sonnen is laughing his ass off on his way to the bank.

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
You guys are missing the big picture.

He just lied his way into an Anderson Silva spot and is talked about among the MMA community. He's doing everything right.

Lets remember folks, at the end of the day, it all comes down to money, and Sonnen is laughing his ass off on his way to the bank.
He wanted that fight. He beat the no 1 contender (nate). I wouldn't say he lied his way in.

I don't seen Sonnen winning this fight, but I hope to God he does. IMHO he's got a better chance than the last 3 guys A. Silva fought... so why all this sudden are people getting so mad about the matchup?

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
He wanted that fight. He beat the no 1 contender (nate). I wouldn't say he lied his way in.

I don't seen Sonnen winning this fight, but I hope to God he does. IMHO he's got a better chance than the last 3 guys A. Silva fought... so why all this sudden are people getting so mad about the matchup?
He took Nate down multiple times and GnPed him forever, he wasn't even close to finishing, no power in his strikes. A lot like GSP in TD to GnP, he trains to take people down and get a good mount after that has very low-caliber striking.

·
Premium Member
4,601 Posts

It's hard for me to admit he beat him since I'm a huge Marquardt fan. What can you do...

I actually think Sonnen can pull this off if his wrestling is that good. Too bad it's just... not. No doubt he'll have a great gameplan, but execution is key.

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
Sonnen knows what hes doing...

In European football we have a colourful chap goes by the name of Jose Mourinho. Hes managed some of the biggest clubs in Europe and is regarded by many as currently the best club manager in the world. The dude is a psychological genius. He says ridiculous shit in the press. Blatant lies. Provocative barbs against other managers. The works. Now, just like with Sonnen, lots of people simply have them both down for being arseholes! ( regardless of talent ) With time, and a generally better understanding of psychology, it was realized that these type of comment, that are so blatantly wrong, only serve to provoke emotional responses. Even Laughing at Sonnen will influence Silva I think. It'll downgrade Sonnens abilities. Turn him into an idiot.

In a nutshell, I hope Silva is completely indifferent to all these comments. IF he stays calm and unemotional, he will beat Sonnen imo. Worse thing is for him to do what we are doing and thinking : "what an idiot liar Sonnen is. He doesn't know what hes saying."... that would be exactly what Sonnen is trying to engineer with all this shit.

I love it personally!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Chael Sonnen is one of the most talked about guys in this forum. Personally I get behind guys like this every single time. The dude is making you all his bitches! Frank Mir did the same thing, Tito tried but lost too many fights and can't be taken seriously lol. Sonnen is owning you dudes, he's like the troll of the board that can out-talk the regulars. Don't be surprised if he outfights your superhero :). Sonnen's the real fuckin deal, he may well be the staple in the "wrestling" chapter of MMA. People will have to adjust or wrestling will win every time.

If Silva takes offense to all Sonnen's shit and rushes in... Silva on his back, Sonnen wins the round. If Sonnen's sub defense wasn't so questionable I'd put money on him in this fight.

·
Banned
7,811 Posts
Chael is just a great trash talker. He is so far ahead of the likes of Rashad or Rampage. He is smart and knows how to articulate himself. anderson doesn't give him any more material to talk about, so he enmeshed himself into lies..

but this fight is going to be a 3, 4 Round WAR!!! :thumbsup:

I am sure many will gain so much Respect for Anderson after this fight. Sonnen is going to give him him a tough tough night.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
I actually think Sonnen can pull this off if his wrestling is that good. Too bad it's just... not. No doubt he'll have a great gameplan, but execution is key.
Really? Chael has one of the best wrestling backgrounds in MMA. He was an NCAA Div 1 champion, a 2 time university champion and an Olympic alternate. The guys at Team Quest have stated in the press that he's the best wrestler in the camp, which is some serious praise when you consider who trains at that camp. Sonnen's wrestling is legit, he's probably the best wrestler by miles at MW, but his ongoing career problem has been his lack of submission defence. The majority of his losses have come by submission, and even against Marquardt he got caught in 2 deep chokes.

If he's going to beat Anderson he's not only got to find a way to close the distance and take Anderson down, but then when on the ground find a way to avoid Anderson's submissions. I'd love to see Chael pull off the win, and I do think he's more of a legit contender than many give him credit for, but he's going to need a lot of luck and things to go his way if he's going to win this fight. He'll get destroyed on the feet, and even on the ground it's likely that Anderson could catch him in a triangle, an armbar or some form of submission from the bottom; and then it'll be a matter of whether Chael can escape or avoid those submissions; I don't think he can. I see him either getting caught on the feet, or in a submission within 5 rounds. Should be an awesome fight, as Chael is arguably Anderson's toughest fight at MW for a long, long time. Looking forward to it.

Reactions: BobbyCooper

·
"Focus"
10,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
To everyone out there saying Chael has any kind of chance in this fight, it's not happening. People's memories are way too short, Anderson is clearly bored with his competition, he toyed with Maia, and Thales, he tooled Forrest and was beating Cote's ass too. Everyone seems to have forgotten just how good Anderson Silva really is, or maybe you don't want to remember because he showed his true colors in the Maia fight. Whatever it is, this fight will not see the end of two rounds and that's being generous. I'm only saying two because I think Chael might get lucky and crawl his way through a round.

Anderson Silva is easily one of the three best fighters in the world and all Chael is doing by talking is making sure we see that, instead of a bored out of his mind Silva dancing and taunting. Anderson will take Chael apart, the only good thing is we'll get to see one of the greatest in a pissed off trying to prove a point mindset.

Just for the record, I'm not really an Anderson Silva fan, this is just what I believe. Also, if Anderson hadn't acted the way he did during the Maia fight no one would be grasping for a sliver of hope that Chael will beat him.

I don't know why people want Chael to win anyway, do you have any idea how incredibly boring a Chael Sonnen win will look? It would be the definition of LnP......

1 - 20 of 32 Posts