Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Miss seeing Pride. I have to say it reintroduced newer fighters to me at the time and a totally brand new organization I wasn't accustomed to.

It's a really long article that's definitely worth reading. Lots of behind the scenes stories as told by the fighters themselves.

Here's an excerpt.

The UFC has become nearly synonymous with the sport of mixed martial arts. The Las Vegas-based promotion is home to many of the top MMA fighters in the world, and its events dominate the landscape.

But that hasn't always been true.

Before it was a piece in a billion-dollar company's portfolio, MMA was home to mavericks, outcasts and fanatics looking for a tiny slice of danger. The sport had an Eastern flair, and for nearly a decade, it called Tokyo its home.

While the UFC was battling regulators, politicians and cable companies at home, Pride Fighting Championships was the dominant player in the space, featuring events equal parts ridiculous and sublime.

"Pride was a date night—the cool thing to do at the time—so people were dressed to the nines, and they got quite an experience, visually and otherwise," announcer Mauro Ranallo says. "It was Cirque du Soleil meets the Super Bowl meets WrestleMania meets your favorite rock 'n' roll concert.

"It was a hybrid of everything I really loved. I was immediately taken by the spectacle. From the moment you enter the building, it was an attack on the senses."

Celebrities, freak shows and pro wrestlers shared the stage with the best fighters in the world, and the result was something that could never be duplicated. It was an orgy of excess, fueled by mafia money and legal steroids, a spectacle that was almost obscene in its grandeur.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...letter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=mma

Reactions: Trix

·
The Title Guy
17,783 Posts
I guess in terms of the major success it had yeah it was a predecessor. Pride Fighting Championship was on Japanese network television ten years before EliteXC got it's first break on network television and the fame was nowhere near what Pride was. MMA is where it is now because Pride set a precedent while the UFC was struggling or survival.

·
The Title Guy
17,783 Posts
Yeah but in the end their Yakuza association killed the organization and as much as Dana White wanted to keep the organization going the Japanese people didn't want it. That's why Dana folded the roster into the UFC along with the fight library. Something I would like to see is those curved gloves that created few eye pokes come back in.

·
The Title Guy
17,783 Posts
I think that video has been removed from YouTube because when I followed it, I found the main YouTube page.

·
Premium Member
7,268 Posts
Its a documentary on the decline of the yakuza in japan.

Yakuza members aren't allowed to own phones, have bank accounts, play golf, etc.

Their motto in the past may have been to protect the weak and serve the community.

Supposedly today, they're all about money.

That's the gist of it.

Not important just had to spam.

When most ppl lift weights they have music or something playing in the background.

With me, I have documentaries so I can try to learn something. lol

·
The Title Guy
17,783 Posts
Well my sister likes to listen to podcasts as well and I like to listen to old time radio shows.

·
Premium Member
7,268 Posts
For real?

What's an old time radio show that's good?

·
The Title Guy
17,783 Posts
I can name a few. The Lone Ranger, Tales of the Texas Rangers, The Six Shooter, Hop Along Cassidy, Night Beat, The Shadow, The Green Hornet, Sergeant Preston of the Yukon, Abbott and Costello, The Mel Blanc Show, The Jack Benny Program, Dimension X, Suspense, the many Sherlock Holmes adaptions and Gun Smoke to name a few.

·
Premium Member
7,268 Posts
Audio only? Like FDR's fireside chats. Or the original War of the Worlds radio broadcast some thought was a real alien invasion when it aired.

Interesting genre. There is interesting info & content in stories of that era. Like mortgage APR's used to be 2%. Etc.

You can see how culture and the way people think about things has changed over time.

·
The Title Guy
17,783 Posts
Yeah it's like a time capsule and on top of that most of the programs from that era are public domain and there are several sites to find it on. If you want I can direct you to some websites which have the libraries but then on top of that there are some sites where you have to pay for it. I think some have direct access to the original archives.

·
Premium Member
7,268 Posts
100%.

Hook me up with some of the good stuff.

·
The Title Guy
17,783 Posts

Those are the free sites and between those three you should be able to find complete libraries of almost all of them. If you want the premium stuff let me know.

·
The Title Guy
17,783 Posts
The UFC was originally referred to as no hold barred so that's not really an accurate statement unless you're referring to those early experiments by Antonio Inoki and other pro wrestlers in Japan and Vale Tudo in Brazil. Those definitely were precursors to the modern UFC. There are many influences to the modern UFC like the Gracie Challenge as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts