Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· True Grappler
6,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everbody in MMA shadowboxes, because it helps us feel like we're training when we don't have any equipment. But I've always wondered: Do you actually learn anything from shadowboxing?

· 1 2 3 Blast Off!
3,071 Posts
OF course it's working on your skills and combos. I shadow wrestle which helps with takedowns and sprawling and muscle memory

· 1 2 3 Blast Off!
3,071 Posts
Lol yep i'll just be walking down the hall and pretend to take someone down with a shot......*sigh*

· Outta My Head
1,259 Posts
IronMan said:
Everbody in MMA shadowboxes, because it helps us feel like we're training when we don't have any equipment. But I've always wondered: Do you actually learn anything from shadowboxing?
Yes you do. As Don has stated, it helps with muscle memory. It also helps train the nervous system by "imprinting" mental images of performance into your sub conscious mind.

When shadowboxing, it is not just to drill pre-set combos and footwork. When you shadowbox with intent and intensity, the point is to be facing a mental opponent and to spar with them. If you're doing it real well, your opponent will not be staying static like a punching bag. Rather your mind will make them move, attack and counter, causing you to move, attack and counter in mind. This is where you'll see folks shadowboxing in a way that developes their footwork as well as hand co-ordination. In this way, a lot of the more minute and imperceptible mental adjustments are made even prior to the actual stressed actions and reactions of an actual match.

Studies have shown that those who just go out and repeatedly train an action physically, have shown a great deal of improvement when incorporating mental training into their regiment. Whether that consists of visualization, meditation, or a forms of "shadow" training, it's significant enough to merit its usefulness.

· Registered
2,195 Posts
rdlviper said:
I would think that shadowboxing also significantly improves muscle tone in the right areas - a bit of a power training exercise... so not only creating muscle memory, but also proper muscle tone.
I think it also helps speed when your not actually hitting an object you have a tendency to be slightly faster at least that is what I have observed

· Registered
77 Posts
I Always shadowbox in the Gym. It Helps my handspeed, and if you do it right then it should warm you up pretty well along with a bit of running and stretching. I work my jab by standing up against a wall when I throw it so that I dont lift my elbow up when I punch. It helps to keep my arm straight. And as The Don said it does help with muscle memory. Throw some kicks, knees, and elbows in the mix and it makes for a good workout and i think it's fun lol.

· True Grappler
6,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shadow boxing is a good warmup tool, but does it teach you skills for actual strikefests? It helps with hand speed, like alot of people have said, but it doesn't give that feeling of striking something and making contact.

· True Grappler
6,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jaymackz said:
Sparring = Alive Training
Shadowboxing = Dead Training

basically if you want to get used to the feeling of actual contact..just spar :)
otherwise, shadowboxing is only useful for maintenance and speed
It depends on the purpose of shadow boxing. If you are using it as a supplement to heavybad work then it can really increase your cardio and form.

Definitely not a complete training regimen, but it does work well as a supplement to a complete training schedule.

· Banned
693 Posts
IronMan said:
It depends on the purpose of shadow boxing. If you are using it as a supplement to heavybad work then it can really increase your cardio and form.

Definitely not a complete training regimen, but it does work well as a supplement to a complete training schedule.
Yep.....Shadowboxing is a good add to your training definately :D

· Registered
191 Posts
dang i knew a lot of people shadowboxed but i really never kew it was ths importana. Thanks for starting the thread im gonna start to shadowbox tommorow prob

· Outta My Head
1,259 Posts
IronMan said:
Shadow boxing is a good warmup tool, but does it teach you skills for actual strikefests? It helps with hand speed, like alot of people have said, but it doesn't give that feeling of striking something and making contact.
If you're trying to pay attention to footwork, stance or to notice habits that may be bad in a combat situation, shadow boxing in front of a mirror can be very revealing. The reason being is that everyone falls into their own set of habits once the get moving. If you shadow box in front of the mirror you can pick up on a lot of things that you need to correct that you wouldn't otherwise.

In which case, I suggest to shadow box not only at the beginning of a workout to warm up. Rather, do a few rounds at the end of the workout. If you have a bad habit of dropping your hands when you are a little tired (or anything of that nature), it will become more than obvious.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.