Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://mmajunkie.com/news/19849/eva...rgeted-for-lightweight-matchup-at-ufc-119.mma

Former lightweight champion Sean Sherk (33-4-1 MMA, 7-4 UFC) is expected to clash with fast-rising prospect Evan Dunham (11-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC) at UFC 119.

News of the impending match-up was relayed today to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) by sources close to the promotion, who said that both fighters have agreed to the matchup and are expected to put pen to paper shortly.

UFC 119 takes place Sept. 25 at the 18,000-seat Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis and airs live on pay-per-view.

The position of Sherk vs. Dunham on UFC 119's fight card is unknown at this time, though its all but certain to grace the upper tier of televised bouts.

Sherk, 36, has not been seen in the cage since UFC 98, when he dropped a unanimous decision loss to now-champion Frankie Edgar. He was originally scheduled to fight Rafaello Oliveira at UFC 108 but fell prey to the event's injury curse after agreeing to fight Jim Miller on the night's main card.

Two months later, Sherk was scratched from a bout with Clay Guida at UFC on Versus 1 due to another undisclosed injury. Since then, the former champion has been whisper-quiet on his career plans.

A disciple of Minnesota Mixed Martial Arts, Sherk dropped to lightweight when the UFC re-introduced the 155-pound belt at UFC 64. In a bloody fight, he defeated Kenny Florian to become the promotion's second champion in the weight class.

Sherk defended the belt against Hermes Franca at UFC 73, but his title was taken away five months later when the California State Athletic Commission flagged him for performance enhancers. He steadfastly denied the use of any illegal substances.

Sherk returned to action almost a year later and failed to regain his title at UFC 84 when B.J. Penn ‚ who had scooped up the undisputed belt against Joe Stevenson at UFC 80, beat him by TKO.

The 28-year-old Dunham, meanwhile, put his jiu-jitsu black belt to impressive use with a decision victory over division standout Tyson Griffin at UFC 115. The Oregon native surprised many fans by controlling Griffin, a well-known escape artist, on the canvas and keeping back control throughout much of the fight.

The victory built on another savvy grappling performance when Dunham armbarred "The Ultimate Fighter 8" winner Efrain Escudero and picked up an extra $30,000 check for "Submission of the Night."

As it stands, Dunham is the only top-shelf lightweight in the UFC to sport an undefeated record.
Dunham UD

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Dunham all day baby, this kid is the next big thing in the LW division. Sherk is old, coming off injury, rusty, and hasnt fought in what feels like ages.
This fight will officially mark the passing of the torch from the old LW great to the new LW great.
War Evan Dunham!

·
Banned
820 Posts
What I am more intrigued by is whether this is going to be on the main card or not.

·
The Avy Slut
3,342 Posts
Dang I just posted this in another thread, ah well either way I see this fight going in similar fashion to Dunham's fight with Griffin - UD for Dunham.

·
You're not terribly important to me
15,563 Posts
this is a test to see if dunham is overrated

·
-DIBKIS-
21,135 Posts
This is going to be a big test for Dunham. Sherk is pretty quick and he is going to be a lot stronger than Dunham will. He has very good wrestling and is no slouch on the ground. He also has very solid boxing. I am taking Sherk here.

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
This is going to be a big test for Dunham. Sherk is pretty quick and he is going to be a lot stronger than Dunham will. He has very good wrestling and is no slouch on the ground. He also has very solid boxing. I am taking Sherk here.
yeah but if sugar ray sherk shows than it won't fun for him. i really would like to see "sugar the muscle shark sherk", mix up the striking with TD's he has very powerful leg kicks but gets too in love with his hands. if he can put everything together than he can be a force at LW again. if not than he should move to bantamweight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts