Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,900 Posts

·
-Raids Into Transylvania-
3,029 Posts
That's an excellent point, I wouldn't say they expected a brawl, but they probably did want some sort of stand off in order to big up another fight between the two, and, ergo, keep Shields in Strikeforce. Afterall, not just anyone can walk into the cage at an event, someone clearly lets them in. Hmmm... I wonder if any of you guys can see footage of Mayhem getting into the cage after the fight??

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Coker said he was trying to setup Miller/Lawler to mainevent a card a few days before the show. He didn't send Miller into the cage. Like Rogan said it is his fault for not having limits on how many people can be in the cage and not having security preventing random people from entering like the UFC does.

·
Any Weight, Anytime...
447 Posts
Yeah and Dana pushed Rashad into the cage when Rampage beat Jardine, Rashad admitted he was told to go in and make beef with Page

FACT.

So, Dana get the **** off your high horse.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Yeah and Dana pushed Rashad into the cage when Rampage beat Jardine, Rashad admitted he was told to go in and make beef with Page

FACT.

So, Dana get the **** off your high horse.
but they didnt bust out in a brawl they were just hypin shit up for danas wallet

·
Registered
963 Posts
video wouldnt load for me but if it says what im guessing it does then i didnt need dana white to tell me that, soon as i saw it happen i knew something had been set up, strikeforce needed a little controversy to make people watch and no offense to fedor and hendo (who i think are there biggest draws) but those guys have about as much personality as a rock, miller is one of the few guys in that organization that can actually hype up their fights

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've been saying that all along. It's no different than when the UFC brings someone else in to hype a potential fight, except it went horribly wrong. Now SF is probably telling Mayhem to take full responsiblilty and keep their names out of it.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
but they didnt bust out in a brawl they were just hypin shit up for danas wallet
In that clip Dana asked "What the hell was he(mayhem) even doing in there?"

Which is highly hypocritical considering how many times Dana has done the same thing. Dana is claiming the UFC never would have let mayhem in there, which is total BS.

In the past Dana claimed that the networks didn't offer him a good deal and that he doubts strikeforce signed a good deal either. Now he's claiming Showtime is the reason why the UFC isn't signed with CBS.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I agree with Dana here about Coker or somebody in Strikefarce management sending Mayhem into the cage. There is no way in hell that during a sanctioned event on national television with security on hand that someone can just pop into the cage uninvited.

To the point that Dana has also staged confrontations in the cage during postfight interviews (e.g. Rampage/Rashad) I have two things to say about that. First, the fighters' entire teams weren't in the cage when that happened; the number of people allowed in the cage are controlled and people who are not supposed to be there are ushered out. Second, Dana is usually in the cage or very nearby to keep a close eye on everything. If Coker were in or next to the cage, would that fight still have happened? Oh wait, it was the Diaz brothers... never mind. :)

It's sad really. With all the fallout over UFC 112, Strikefarce had a HUGE opportunity to gain ground in the arena of public perception. As big of a fan as I am of the UFC, I want to see a strong Strikeforce to keep the UFC honest and competitive. Instead Strikefarce showed why they are busch league and will likely never be able to compete with the UFC.

·
Registered
411 Posts

Which is highly hypocritical considering how many times Dana has done the same thing. Dana is claiming the UFC never would have let mayhem in there, which is total BS.

In the past Dana claimed that the networks didn't offer him a good deal and that he doubts strikeforce signed a good deal either. Now he's claiming Showtime is the reason why the UFC isn't signed with CBS.
The point wasn't that Mayhem was in there. The point is that he shouldn't have been in there if he wasn't SUPPOSED to be. It's a question of how much CONTROL that Strikeforce as an organization had over their own event, which was none.

I do agree with your second point about the reasons for the network deal suddenly changing. I remember Dana saying in the past that the reason they weren't on network was because that the network and the UFC were clashing over who would get to do the production of the show. The UFC wanted to do their own production while the network allegedly insisted on taking over. So now that Dana is saying that they would have had the deal but Showtime interfered, that line does smell a bit fishy IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts

How is it hypocritical? Dana only allows fighters to come in if he announces a big fight and to start the buzz talking about it. Are Mayhem and Shields fighting now? I am not aware of them fighting or Shields signing a new contract with SF.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
I thought it was obvious? I mean, any reasonable MMA company wouldn't accidentally allow Miller to enter the cage. It was clearly intentional. They just got more than they bargained for.

·
Banned
439 Posts
I'm not so sure if Strikeforce told Mayhem to go in there. If they did, they did a poor job of it for 1) letting him in too early and 2) there were waaaay too many people in that cage. Either way, it was poor anticipation by the company and the majority of the blame should be laid on them. In the end, it's their organization and they need to be 100% in control of every scenario that goes on in and around their events.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Its doesn't matter if they let him in on purpose or not.

If they didn't, they're incompetent.

If they did, their stupid and incompetent.

Though I highly doubt Coker asked Miller to do anything. Miller is clearly capable of doing crazy stuff on his own, and Coker threw him under the bus after the brawl. If it was his idea to put Miller out there I imagine he would be saying that Sheilds' boys overreacted.

As said before, unlike Dana in the UFC where the future challenger comes in the ring and its all very contrived, staged and most importantly, under control, the strikeforce ruckus was totally out of control.

There simply shouldn't be that many people in the cage at the same time, especially without any security in there with them or at the cage door.

·
Banned
670 Posts
DAna cares about Dana, who cares what he says unless it is to predict what he does which is usually the opposite. However his honesty is unimpeachable.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts