Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jake Shields and John Fitch Must fight ASAP and the loser either needs to move to middle-weight or leave the UFC. From my perspective these guys are both top five welter-weights in all MMA. They are both Juggernauts, pretty much impossible to finish. Both extremely effective fighters and quite boring. Both are elite wrestlers who look like a fish out of water when it comes to striking. They're probably some of the nicest guys in the business but the thought of these two clones dominating the top of the WW division kind of sucks. Back before GSP started fighting not to lose (after Serra KO) the welter-weights were my favorite fights, including the title fights. Now it seems every important fight in this division is either a boring three round title-shot fight or a boring five round title fight. Can I get an Amen??

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do watch K1. It's very exiting but I enjoy MMA more. I have no problem with wrestlers and obviously I'm being a bit sarcastic but it's quite clear that the top fighters in this division are using their wrestling to win fights by decisions. It is what it is. Also if any division could use more bad ass wrestlers it's the middle-weights. It would appear as though wrestlers with nasty GNP or slick subs might be Anderson Silva's Achilles' heel (AKA Fitch or Shields).

·
Abusive
1,806 Posts
Jon Fitch is boring, but apparently he still has a pretty big fanbase. Jake Shields is new to the UFC, and hasn't even had his first fight. However, I think many people are going to be surprised at how good Jake Shields is coming in.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Both are elite wrestlers who look like a fish out of water when it comes to striking.
Dude, this couldn't be any further from the truth.

First off, comparing Fitch's striking to Sheilds' is a complete insult to Jon; he almost oustrike Alves (who did have a lay off I'll concede) and his Muay Thai appears to be progressing substantially.

Also, The fight is probably going to end up being Kampmann vs. Fitch;

I don't know why ppl continue to underestimate Kampmann; Shields' stand-up is completely subpar and he's going to run into a lot of difficulty taking down a very mobile, 'knee-hungry' Kampmann who is avoiding lazy leg kicks.

I do thoroughly agree with the title, however :D

·
Let Me Bang Bro
1,967 Posts
Battle of the human blankets! At least Shields has finished a fight in the last 4 years though I suppose.

·
All Around Nice Guy
10,760 Posts
Jake Shields and John Fitch Must fight ASAP and the loser either needs to move to middle-weight or leave the UFC. From my perspective these guys are both top five welter-weights in all MMA. They are both Juggernauts, pretty much impossible to finish. Both extremely effective fighters and quite boring. Both are elite wrestlers who look like a fish out of water when it comes to striking. They're probably some of the nicest guys in the business but the thought of these two clones dominating the top of the WW division kind of sucks. Back before GSP started fighting not to lose (after Serra KO) the welter-weights were my favorite fights, including the title fights. Now it seems every important fight in this division is either a boring three round title-shot fight or a boring five round title fight. Can I get an Amen??
Jon Fitch definitely doesn't look like a fish out of water striking. Its not his greatest attribute but it isnt as bad as your making it seem. Also loser moves up or leaves the UFC?? Thats just a very stupid thing to say. If these guys can dominate the top of the WW division the more power to them. We still need to see how Jake Shields does in the UFC to comment on that. Also im guessing the general feeling here is that Fitch is boring??? I find the guy pretty entertaining... whenever he is doing his thing i just think "Haha he is getting Fitched" it puts a smile on my face.

·
True Grappler
6,222 Posts
Well, lets look at your argument:

You see, Shields and Fitch are really good.

But Shields and Fitch are also really boring.

So whichever one of them is worse should go up to middleweight.
That argument is gaping wider than Jenna Jameson.

There are boring fighter in the welterweight division because the structure of the welterweight division is such that in order to beat the gatekeepers, in order to win the matchups, you have to be a wrestler who can successfully blanket opponents.

Other divisions have more stylistic diversity, so the division is more open, but there really only solid strikers and wrestlers in the division. There aren't enough good jiu-jitsu guys who can punish wrestlers for trying to blanket.

That'll change. But for now, the best thing that we can do is put the best matchups together, because no fighter should be asked to leave a division where he's top five because his fighting style fits into the division too well. It's like saying a cook should stop cooking Italian food because the market is too big. It's just jibberish.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts