Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
"I
6,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was watching WEC 48 earlier and they cut to a crowd shot of Dana sitting next to, you guessed it, Jake Shields. Normally, this wouldn't set off much, but Dana's actions may have proven otherwise. He had a huge shit eatin' grin on his face and kept pointing to Shields and himself sort of proclaiming "He's with me!" Take it for what you want, but I think by the middle of this week we're going to be hearing news of Shields' signing.

EDIT:

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
So I was watching WEC 48 earlier and they cut to a crowd shot of Dana sitting next to, you guessed it, Jake Shields. Normally, this wouldn't set off much, but Dana's actions may have proven otherwise. He had a huge shit eatin' grin on his face and kept pointing to Shields and himself sort of proclaiming "He's with me!" Take it for what you want, but I think by the middle of this week we're going to be hearing news of Shields' signing.

EDIT:
They won't announce it and will try and keep it under wrap till Machida/Shogun.

·
Registered
703 Posts
SF is certainly reeling if this is the case. A big hypetrain goes down, and now the MW champ might desert. This is interesting because Hendo looked terrible, so it would look bad for him to get the title at this point. I think they need to push Jacare to the front of line, but really they are rail thin at every weight class and they are just looking to be in a bad way.

·
Registered
260 Posts
shields has a 6 week no compete clause with Strikeforce I believe, that means Strikeforce has a six week window of exclusive negotiations before the UFC can officially make an offer. But I'd put money on him being in the UFC after that.

Of course that doesn't mean he can't attend UFC/WEC events as Dana's 'special guest'.

·
Registered
411 Posts
It definitely looks like Shields is on his way to the UFC. And why wouldn't he be? He has just scored the biggest win of his career, now it's time for him to test himself against the best that the UFC has to offer. He should drop back down to 170 and take on the best.

Reactions: Inkdot

·
Great Googly Moogly!
1,407 Posts
In an interview with Ariel Helwani after the fights Dana said that Shields still has 45-60 days left on his contract with "the knuckleheads" (aka Strikeforce) before he's on the "free market."

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Dana kind comes of *** like in those pics like he looks like a male equivalent of a cougar, not a good look... I'm not so sure if this is such a big coop..Shields has been on what 3 CBS cards and headlined the last one, you would think with all his exposure that would mean something but it didnt because as we know the show bombed..

Ppl say its a huge hit for strikeforce but as I alluded to shields is not a draw and his fights have probably had the worse ratings during telecasts. We also dont know the situation between him and coker, he wasnt heavily featured in the ads for the event because maybe it was a forgone conclusion that he wouldnt be signing, cant miss something you already lost..

And lastly most of shields notable wins before old man henderson were against fighters that were wrestling averse I mean daley? come on,condit?nick thompson? mike pyle? kickboxer/bjj types, yushin okami? is an asian wrestler (who thinks he is a striker) which is another story u get the jest.Maybe his lay and pray technique could work on these lower tier bordering on journeymen types but the ufc is the mecca for wrestlers especially the WW division.It all depends on how they try to build him but he is not going to have such an easy time especially because he is going back to WW which will only hurt him physically..

·
You're Welcome.
7,723 Posts
Those images are absolutely hilarious. I missed the event, so I didn't get to see it in real time, but the facial expression... ahaha, good stuff. Anyway, I'd love to see Jake competing in the UFC, so here's hoping we're on track for exactly that.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Dana has the biggest smile on his face. It like he is saying F you Strikeforce. Jake should make his way to the UFC so he can fight the best, and really compete at the highest level.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.