1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Any Weight, Anytime...
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shinya Aoki to train with Cesar Gracie camp

by James Kimball on Apr 23, 2010 4:06 PM EDT

http://www.mmamania.com/2010/4/23/1439752/shinya-aoki-to-train-with-cesar

Well would you look at that, the Cesar Gracie clan has a soft side after all.

GracieFighter.com reports that after prized pupil Gilbert Melendez wiped the cage with Shinya Aoki last weekend at Strikeforce: Nashville, Aokl actually put in a request to formally train with the Cesar Gracie camp.

And in what can only be described as a kind gesture, Gracie has obliged Aoki and welcomed him into the Gracie fold.

Cesar Gracie has also gone as far as to invite other Japanese fighters to come train with his formidable stable of mixed martial artists.

One could easily view this move by Aoki as somewhat of an admittance of ineptitude relative to his counterparts who regularly compete stateside. But he should also be given credit for presumably accepting the fact that he's not quite on the same level as some of the other top lightweights in the world and has no problems working at improving his game.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Shinya Aoki to train with Cesar Gracie camp

by James Kimball on Apr 23, 2010 4:06 PM EDT

http://www.mmamania.com/2010/4/23/1439752/shinya-aoki-to-train-with-cesar

Well would you look at that, the Cesar Gracie clan has a soft side after all.

GracieFighter.com reports that after prized pupil Gilbert Melendez wiped the cage with Shinya Aoki last weekend at Strikeforce: Nashville, Aokl actually put in a request to formally train with the Cesar Gracie camp.

And in what can only be described as a kind gesture, Gracie has obliged Aoki and welcomed him into the Gracie fold.

Cesar Gracie has also gone as far as to invite other Japanese fighters to come train with his formidable stable of mixed martial artists.

One could easily view this move by Aoki as somewhat of an admittance of ineptitude relative to his counterparts who regularly compete stateside. But he should also be given credit for presumably accepting the fact that he's not quite on the same level as some of the other top lightweights in the world and has no problems working at improving his game.
I don't know if it's just me, but as far as i'm concerned Aoki's ground game is top draw, so by going to a predominently jujitsu gym is he going to improve that much, in my opinion he would be much better off training at maybe "Black House" with The Nogs, Anderson etc who have brilliant ground game and more importantly in this case some devestating standup the area in which he has always been lacking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.