Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Mad Titan
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pride’ GP champion on 2005, Maurício Shogun had a great comeback after twoo knee surgeries and conquest UFC’s belt, but the southern guy was forced to take some time off again and went through another knee surgery. Yet on the United States, where he did his last surgery and begun his physiotherapy, Shogun talked to TATAME about his injury, the comeback for the trainings and the possibility of a provisional belt, a proposal presented by Lyoto Machida’s manager. “As far as I’m concerned, it won’t happen… It’s Lyoto’s interest, only because you wish it, it doesn’t mean you’ll have it, but for me, it doesn’t change a thing”.

You went under another knee surgery because of an injury on the fight against Lyoto Machida. How is your recovery going on the United States?

SHOGUN: It’s everything fine now. I had the surgery a month ago, and I’m cool, I can walk already. I’m doing a fitness work and physiotherapy and, next month, I’ll be back to my trainings and I’ll strengthen my leg so I can come back next year, probably in January, if everything works out fine.

How are you dealing with it? Playing a lot of videogame?

SHOGUN: I’m doing my physiotherapy work once a day and then I go home and play videogame (laughs), but I’m fine, thanks God. I’m very glad and thrilled and I hope I can come back soon. That’s my only goal now. I’ll be 100% prepared for my next fight.

Before people were speculating about a bout between you and Rashad Evans, but due to your knee injury, it had to be postponed. It is possible that UFC makes a provisional belt to be disputed while you are not 100% recovered. What do you think of it?

SHOGUN: Man, I don’t know. Last week I had a meeting with them Dana White and (Lorenzo) Fertitta and nobody said anything about an interim title or anything like that, so I’ll fight with my usual belt on my next bout.

Who said it was Lyoto Machida’s manager, who maybe wanted to match a bout between Lyoto and Rashad Evens for a provisional belt so that, in the future, he would dispute the belt with you…

SHOGUN: Well, I don’t know any of it. As far as I’m concerned, it won’t happen… I believe he’s trying it on the behalf of his athlete, but for what I know I’ll fight with my belt in hands. That’s the only think I’m positive about. It’s Lyoto’s interest, only because you wish it, it doesn’t mean you’ll have it, but for me, it doesn’t change a thing. My belt is the official, and if they want to fight for an interim belt before, it doesn’t change a thing for me

www.tatame.com

·
SPEED KILLS
4,130 Posts
Interim Belts literally mean nothing, and I think any fighter who wants an interim belt just wants to be able to say he has a belt of some sort.

Number 1 Contender sounds much more impressive.

·
WIDE OPEN
3,973 Posts
Interim belts actually take away from hyping undisputed title fights. It works much better if one fighter is thought of as the uncrowned champion, and the other is firmly defending his title.

I've ALWAYS said this about every weight class, and in this case my nut huggery has nothing to do with my opinion.

Shogun is right, just because Lyoto's manager wants it, doesn't mean they get it.

·
LONGHAIRED COUNTRYBOY
9,814 Posts
I hated interim belts loudly and often until I finally got it through my thick skull the purpose they serve.

It's all so we don't have to wait who knows how long for a 5 round fight in that devision.

YAY INTERIM BELTS!!

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
If Shogun's correct, and he'll be back in January, then that's only 5 months from now. There really is no need for an Interim title, and no need for Rashad to fight again. It's not like Shogun's going to be out until next August.

·
Registered
329 Posts
What was the extent of his surgery?.. is it likely that he can be 100% in 5 months?
I'm actually a Machida fanboy... but Shogun's got skills and he deserves the respect for winning BOTH fights with Lyoto, IMHO. If he can get back to 100% in 5-6 months I don't think UFC should disrespect him with an interim belt match-up.

Reactions: BobbyCooper

·
Premium Member
4,754 Posts
Interim belts are just confusing. Who remembers WWF and their Intercontinental Champ belt held by Warrior and the World Champ belt held by Hogan? Even as a little kid I thought that was dumb.

You're the champ, but you're really not, but you kind of are, except you're not.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Interim belts are just confusing. Who remembers WWF and their Intercontinental Champ belt held by Warrior and the World Champ belt held by Hogan? Even as a little kid I thought that was dumb.

You're the champ, but you're really not, but you kind of are, except you're not.
why was it dumb? when the world belt is for the maineventers and IC belt was for the mid to upper midcarders

·
Sleepy
2,153 Posts
The interim belt definitley has its uses, in marketing fights and the fact it is a clear cut "golden ticket" to fight the champion when he returns, no disputer no1 contendors.

I don't really have a problem withn them, a fight is a fight.

·
of Nazareth
10,239 Posts
I dunno... I think it must be at least a little enjoyable for the real champion to see two other fighters going for an iterim belt. Brock certainly seemed to like winding Carwin up a bit about it!

Its like the kiddie in the playground with a bigmac laughing at the other kids fighting over a plain ol' cheeseburger. The "winner" might look happy with the cheesburger, but the smug dude at the back with the bigmac looks happier.

What I dont like is fighters asking for interim belts. That sucks and is disrespectful. Its up to the UFC to decide and not the fighters.

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
The interim belt would just take away Rashad nº1 contender spot, he has earned his title fight so don´t take it away from him. It will suck for Rashad to be out this long, there´s no €€€€ in waiting. So the way i see things it should be in last instance, Rashad´s decision to give another fighter a chance at becoming nº1 contender.

I don´t think the division will stay on hold while Shogun is absent. There are plenty of fights out there waiting to happen wich will clear things out as far as the top 5/10 guys really are and in wich position they belong.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If all goes well and shogun can fight in January I don't see a need, especially if the bout happens and the winner is injured and delays shoguns return. I'd rather see the champ asap than an interim fight and wait til maybe March/April

1 - 17 of 17 Posts