Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like Serra but I think some of you are letting personality cloud your thinking.

In their first fight Serra threw everything he had at Carter and couldn't hurt him or submit him. Carter slipped out of every BJJ move in Serra's arsenal and that's supposed to be where Serra is strongest. Then, like many BJJ guys are prone to do, Serra runs in with his arms flailing and takes a back-fist to the face an gets knocked the f**k out.

That tells me two things, Carter knows how to deal with BJJ "experts" and that Serra's chin is suspect.

I dont think it's nearly as black and white (pardon the pun) as you people seem to believe. Carter didn't come there just to get drunk and show off his panties...he came to win and he's going to be giving it his all and I think Matt is in for one helluva fight. Possibly even one hell of a whooping.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Too bad. Serra has better conditioning compared to Shonie. You talk about Serra losing to Shonie...Buddy that was 5 years ago, Serra has been training thats for sure. And by the looks of it Shonie hasn't..(remember when he puked?) that just shows that he's only going into TUF4 with pure luck and to be on TV. He needed Serra to guide him. He needed him to teach him and coach his sorry ass. Anyways I already know the results so w/e.. -_-

·
MMA Patriot
4,003 Posts
I see where you are comming from and some what agree but the one thing that will really get in shonie's way is his age. I mean he is no randy coture. Randy I think is the only one that is good enough to run with the best dispite age. When you are older you get knock out faster so if matt just comes out swinging he will ko shonie. Plus I just think shonie is having a good time not trying to be an a**.

·
Banned
0 Posts
americanfighter said:
I see where you are comming from and some what agree but the one thing that will really get in shonie's way is his age. I mean he is no randy coture. Randy I think is the only one that is good enough to run with the best dispite age. When you are older you get knock out faster so if matt just comes out swinging he will ko shonie. Plus I just think shonie is having a good time not trying to be an a**.
....Shonie isn't even old..lol..hes 34. Serra is 32..so what 2 year age difference it isn't shonies age, its that fact that he's not even dedicated to training like he was couple years back..I see shonie as a has been. he has 70+ fights..what does that tell you? he's been in too many fights lol...and possibly time to retire.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think Shoney explained it best in the first episode after he puked in practice. He said that at his training camp he had good sparring partners, but he was definitely the top dog. He hasn't been challenged or pushed in his training the way he was when he was training with the other guys on TUF.

In other words he has become complacent and stale. That's not good in an evolving sport like mma where to be the best you have to continually learn new things and improve yourself.

As far as personality clouding my judgment, I don't think so. I have found Shoney just as entertaining as he is sometimes inconsiderate or irritating. I admire that he has found ways to entertain himself instead of resorting to the incessant whining we heard in previous TUFs. Waaaaa....we're bored, waaaa....no TV, waaa...I miss my girlfriend, etc etc etc.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Mr. Bungle said:
Once again Serra couldn't submit or hurt Shonie.

If it would have been a five rounder Serra would have lost.
It looks like you and Matt Hughes were the only ones to not underestimate Shoney.

It really did look a lot like their first fight. The big difference was that Serra defended better.

If it had been a 5 rounder, looks like it could have gone either way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.