Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed a lot, but since ive been a member i havent discussed this, i just want to know everyones opinion, and my opinion as of late changed a lot, i use to think that elbows should be legal, it is a fight after all and baning them might be taking away too much freedom from the fighters

but ive thought more about it and im not sure, elbows on the ground rarley finish fights, they cut you up, but they rarely knock you out, standing i dont have a problem with it, and taking away all elbows wouldnt be fair to MT fighters

but if you really look at how elbows are used on the ground its really to just try and bust up the other persons face and work so that the ref doesnt stand the fight up, by this i mean most fighters dont actually get up and blast the other with an elbow, they stay close to them and elbow them from a short distance, this makes it possible so they dont get stood up, work, and cause damage but just damage enough so the fight is stopped beacause of a cut or something like that, not an actual knockout

if you take away the elbows i think fights would last longer, and it would easier to have more sweeps and for other fighters to get up because to GnP with just punches you have to create more space between you and your opponent, this makes it possible for more sweeps, reversals, etc so this would keep the fight more interesting and more fast paced

but on the other hand i do think its kind of unfair to some, some really do use the elbows well, like kenny florian has some sick elbows:thumb02: and fighters like that kinda f*ck up my point, its complicated, but im enjoying strikeforce and dream with no elbows, so im not sure, maybe UFC could try it for a while, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I definitely think elbows should be legal.

Yes, they're not normally fight ending, but they can be. Just see Jones destroying Brandon Vera's face or Anderson knocking a dude out with a standing elbow (pre-UFC). Not allowing them because most people don't finish with them is similar to not allowing punching because most people don't have knockout power.

Plus, racking up damage on your opponent is a reasonable road to victory. Bloody him up so he gets tired or gets panicky, swell his eye shut so you can unload on him on the feet, or just wear on him. It's a legitimate strategy.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Unfortunately the same logic (illogic) that got knees on the ground banned, is going to get elbows on the ground banned. Then that logic will soon carry over to the banning of all strikes on the ground since the same argument can be applied.

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
yes, elbows on the ground should be legal.

Also, kick´s to a oponent when he´s on his knees should also be legal, or at least when he´s only on one knee.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
I've got two opinions (yes, I'm schizophrenic sometimes and talk to myself).

1) Elbows should be legal, BUT only if knees are legal too. It doesn't make any sense to me to ban knees and have elbows. On the other hand banning elbows and having knees makes a lot of sense (that's where opinion #2 comes into play)

2) Elbows should be banned, because there's nothing worse than a fight ending in a cut and elbows are the main cause for someone bleeding all over the octagon. Some douchebag fighters may think it's a good way to win, but it's not. In fact it's the worst way to win a fight.

Recently I'm leaning more towards opinion #2.

·
Registered
816 Posts
id say yes they should be banned on the ground alone elbows cause mostly cuts on the ground which gives mma a bad name or is breaking orbital bones which is a bad injury that is best avoided imo but definitely should be aloud on the feet

on a different note knees should be aloud when a fighter has one knee on the ground this would allow more offensive options from defending the take down

·
The Bearded One
4,150 Posts
Just ocurred to me that if they ban elbows on the ground, Jon Jones would be really pissed...

·
Administrator
15,547 Posts
Jones just finished a fight on the ground via elbows, so no, it shouldn't be banned. Elbows on the ground end fights just as much as punches end fights on the ground, it just depends on who uses them, but that could be said about many strikes.

Elbows on the ground should be legal, so should knees.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well the crucifix position that jones had he could have finished the fights with punches also, roy nelson style, there really wasnt a need for elbows hearb would've stopped it anyway

and i know fights can be finished with elbows, didnt say they couldnt, and im not saying they should be banned, im just on the fence

i think of it from the technical aspect, if elbows arent legal (on the ground) then the GnP has to become a lot more technical, and we could see more techniques like sweeps and it would be easier to apply triangles and armbars from the bottom, this would make wrestlers think twice beforing taking the fight to the ground to GnP, they would need a very good GnP to actually want to go there, i think this is one of the main reasons fedor was able to get so many armbars from his gaurd

it makes the fights more exciting IMO, there are only a handful of ppl who actually know how to use elbows effectively on the ground when you think about it, in the UFC at least

most of the time they just end fights based on cuts and im not a fan of that, yes i know its a strategy but i dont really consider the winner the better fighter just because we won because the other guy got cut open too much

though this is unfair to those fighters who really use the elbow a lot and actualy developed a whole personal style with it, but it would be fun to watch fighters have to develop a more technical striking for GnP

its kind of the cage vs ring thing, the cage helps you plan a lot of strategys but in the ring you have to depend more on your skill

and in the end, i want a fight based more on skill and technical striking than just a fight, i dont think its a bad thing to have elbows on the ground, i enjoy watching a good beating with elbows, bones beat downs were impressive, but its just most guys dont really know how to use them and i can tell they just throw them just so they get a lucky cut and work just enough so they dont get stood up

·
Forum "Superhero"
1,487 Posts
well the crucifix position that jones had he could have finished the fights with punches also, roy nelson style, there really wasnt a need for elbows hearb would've stopped it anyway

and i know fights can be finished with elbows, didnt say they couldnt, and im not saying they should be banned, im just on the fence

i think of it from the technical aspect, if elbows arent legal (on the ground) then the GnP has to become a lot more technical, and we could see more techniques like sweeps and it would be easier to apply triangles and armbars from the bottom, this would make wrestlers think twice beforing taking the fight to the ground to GnP, they would need a very good GnP to actually want to go there, i think this is one of the main reasons fedor was able to get so many armbars from his gaurd

it makes the fights more exciting IMO, there are only a handful of ppl who actually know how to use elbows effectively on the ground when you think about it, in the UFC at least

most of the time they just end fights based on cuts and im not a fan of that, yes i know its a strategy but i dont really consider the winner the better fighter just because we won because the other guy got cut open too much

though this is unfair to those fighters who really use the elbow a lot and actualy developed a whole personal style with it, but it would be fun to watch fighters have to develop a more technical striking for GnP

its kind of the cage vs ring thing, the cage helps you plan a lot of strategys but in the ring you have to depend more on your skill

and in the end, i want a fight based more on skill and technical striking than just a fight, i dont think its a bad thing to have elbows on the ground, i enjoy watching a good beating with elbows, bones beat downs were impressive, but its just most guys dont really know how to use them and i can tell they just throw them just so they get a lucky cut and work just enough so they dont get stood up
i would not assume that, less weapons to use might lead to more lay and pray if you cant pass guard.

i get what your trying to say but i dont think elbows cut as much as people think. that fight vs vera was stopped because of damage not a cut. the only fight bones cut someone was when he used 12 to 6 elbows which is probably why they made them illegal.

·
Premium Member
4,223 Posts
I'm split on this one. When I see guys like Kenny Florian who use elbows to dictate the fight by cutting guys open and attempt to win the fight on a technicality, it makes me want to puke and I want them to be banned.

However, when guys like Jon Jones use them to actually end the fight by knocking a guy out, I have no problem with them.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Elbows should be legal. If they were not then Jones would be severely handicapped. When I met him he was talking about how his arms are too long to actually throw effective ground and pound punches. He has to use elbows in order to actually cause damage.

and for the argument that elbows do not finish fights... tell that to Vera.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Elbows should be legal. If they were not then Jones would be severely handicapped. When I met him he was talking about how his arms are too long to actually throw effective ground and pound punches. He has to use elbows in order to actually cause damage.

hmm thats interesting, didnt think of that, but i think if he created a lot of space between him and his opponent he could throw some punches, though i cant really be sure on that, if he really cant then i can see how elbows really are necessary

though most of the arguments in favor of elbows seem to be based on jones, thats one fighter, now i know its not fair to take such an important tool away from him, but it seems like we should keep elbows just to watch jones murder every1 with them, thats kinda silly:confused02: but it is valid

·
Registered
816 Posts

it was the position that ended the fight not the elbows in jones last fight! he could of ended it with petty hammer fists thats why i was unsatisfied with his last fight

and the vera fight that ended with him breaking his orbital bone is a reason for them to be banned! on the ground

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i would not assume that, less weapons to use might lead to more lay and pray if you cant pass guard.

i get what your trying to say but i dont think elbows cut as much as people think. that fight vs vera was stopped because of damage not a cut. the only fight bones cut someone was when he used 12 to 6 elbows which is probably why they made them illegal.
i think the refs are starting to try and avoid LnP and with enough boos they will stand the fight up too please the fans

but come on man, elbows do cut a lot, almost every fight i watch when a cut happens its either because of an elbow or a knee, TUF almost all cuts are from elbows haha

sonnen couldnt fight for the title because of nates elbow shots even though sonnen won, brock was getting pounded on by carwin but he only got cut when carwin threw the first elbow

1 - 20 of 45 Posts