Votes: 21 40.4%
  • im not sure/i dont care.

Votes: 6 11.5%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
All Eyez on Me
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instead of having Silva beat up on chumps at 185 and selectively fighting at 205 in order not to upset Machida, why not just move up? and machida move down?

I think this offers a refreshing outlook on things in both divisions. Machida seems smaller anyway and i doubt he wants anymore of shogun. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Is this is a serious thread?

This would make Lyoto look like a bitch. He loses to Shogun, switches weight classes with his friend Andy, "Get my back homie." That would be so stupid.

·
SPEED KILLS
4,130 Posts
Well Silva won't be going up for at least 2 fights, and personally I'd love to see the MW belt taken from him before he moves class.

I do think Machida could float between the divisions like Silva has though, good fights for him either way.

So for now I vote no.

ptw is right, now isn't the time for either of them to change class, and with their well known friendship, Lyoto would get some stick for it. And look like a bitch like ptw said.

·
All Eyez on Me
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its not a joke as you can see the majority of members think they should switch weight classes.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I'm for it.

Silva has cleaned out 185. Dana is stalling, hoping some contenders rise from the ashes. Hell, he said he was impressed w/ Belcher, who was getting tooled the entire fight until the slam by Cote.

Machida is effective at 205, but he'd be quicker and faster at 185.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Can Machida even make 185? he's a pretty big 205 fighter imo.

Personally, I voted for the switch. I doubt machida can make the cut. However, my decision is based on my desire for anderson to move up and not machida moving down. MW is a mess, there are a few talented guys, but no one really stands out imo. You can make a case for chonen and vitor, however, I'd much rather chonen fought vitor for number contender and let anderson fight in lhw.
Just like ww, i wouldn't mind seeing the champ away from the division (tuf or moving up to lhw) and let the division develop more to make the title fights more interesting.

·
-NOW YOU SLEEP-
10,940 Posts
Instead of having Silva beat up on chumps at 185 and selectively fighting at 205 in order not to upset Machida, why not just move up? and machida move down?

I think this offers a refreshing outlook on things in both divisions. Machida seems smaller anyway and i doubt he wants anymore of shogun. :thumbsup:
No. I'd rather see the rubber match.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
The only way I'd want to see them switch divisions is if they both had belts and cleaned out their own divisions.

I'd much rather watch Machida fight LHW's than MW's. Shogun may of had his number but I'm not sure anyone else in the division will.

So let's cool our jets and see how Silva handles Sonnen and Belfort before moving him to LHW.

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
Can Machida even make 185? he's a pretty big 205 fighter imo.

Personally, I voted for the switch. I doubt machida can make the cut. However, my decision is based on my desire for anderson to move up and not machida moving down. MW is a mess, there are a few talented guys, but no one really stands out imo. You can make a case for chonen and vitor, however, I'd much rather chonen fought vitor for number contender and let anderson fight in lhw.
Just like ww, i wouldn't mind seeing the champ away from the division (tuf or moving up to lhw) and let the division develop more to make the title fights more interesting.
Actually Machida is very small for a LHW. Silva has a much bigger frame. Machida doesn't even really cut for his fights. He just diets down to weight and usually weighs in below 205.

Edit: I couldn't find a picture of Silva and Machida together, but compare Machida standing next to Belfort vs Silva standing next to Belfort.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Silva has cleaned out 185
Are you kidding me? He hasn't faced a single real striker and kept on dodging Vitor on and on until Dana finally made the fight happen. And then Vitor got injured. :(
Vitor has better hand speed and boxing than Silva does, I really wanna see how Silva can change his style against the first opponent who actually has comperable/better striking than he does.

Sonnen is a legit contender too and best wrestler Silva has faced so far. He fights smart and wont do same mistakes Hendo did and will keep on grinding the victory on the ground instead of suddenly thinking he can outstrike Silva.

So yeah, with atleast 2 tough contenders already lined up and with LHW division having several guys working for the shot I see no reason to stall either division by having the champs fight each other. I wouldn't mind it happening after both of them defend their belt atleast 3 times, but sadly for Silva that is not happening as Sonnen is going to take his belt before losing it to Vitor. :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
I doubt they would ever do it because it looks like Machida running away from Shogun, but it makes so much sense. Silva's future is at LHW and Machida almost looks smaller than Silva anyway. If they dont want to fight each other then just switch divisions so we can see some new fights.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Actually Machida is very small for a LHW. Silva has a much bigger frame. Machida doesn't even really cut for his fights. He just diets down to weight and usually weighs in below 205.

Edit: I couldn't find a picture of Silva and Machida together, but compare Machida standing next to Belfort vs Silva standing next to Belfort.

Nice find. Rep'd.
I think you might be on to something. However, I do want to note that these pics can be deceiving because it really depends on what vitor weighs (if vitor had cut weight already or not). Because the anderson pic could be after he cut weight and the machida pic vitor could have packed some muscle. But I do think you are right now that I think about it. The reason I thought machida couldn't cut to 185 was because he seemed visibly bigger than shogun in his last fight. But thinking back, I think shogun is a smaller lhw.

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
Nice find. Rep'd.
I think you might be on to something. However, I do want to note that these pics can be deceiving because it really depends on what vitor weighs (if vitor had cut weight already or not). Because the anderson pic could be after he cut weight and the machida pic vitor could have packed some muscle. But I do think you are right now that I think about it. The reason I thought machida couldn't cut to 185 was because he seemed visibly bigger than shogun in his last fight. But thinking back, I think shogun is a smaller lhw.
If you take a look at the weighin thread I said I thought Machida looked thicker than normal and speculated whether or not takedowns would be in his gameplan. Apparently I was right; unfortunately he got caught because he was probably winning that first round until he got caught on the temple.

·
Super Ultra Great Delicious Wonderful
6,517 Posts
Machida is an average sized LHW he isn't small. Andy is bigger than him but he is like a weight cutting master I don't know how well Lyoto cuts. I think when Andy moves up it would be cool for Machida to move down and fight someone like the winner of Wandy/Akiyama to have a new MW champ. Franklin would probably move back down if that happened too so MW would have a lot of fresh matchups.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
This is interesting.
Machida could easily make 185.

Personally I'd love to see it happen purely to sort out the Anderson LHW situation. However it's not necessary for Machida to do this to be competitive.. he has a rather good 205 record ;/

·
Registered
585 Posts
With those pictures Anderson walks around well over 200 as for Vitor we don't really know his weight or any fighters weight except for an educated guess on Machida.

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
Machida is an average sized LHW he isn't small. Andy is bigger than him but he is like a weight cutting master I don't know how well Lyoto cuts. I think when Andy moves up it would be cool for Machida to move down and fight someone like the winner of Wandy/Akiyama to have a new MW champ. Franklin would probably move back down if that happened too so MW would have a lot of fresh matchups.
Everything I've ever heard points to Machida not cutting any weight to fight at 205. He simply diets the weeks leading into the fight. He frequently weighs in underweight which just doesn't happen if your cutting.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Are you kidding me? He hasn't faced a single real striker and kept on dodging Vitor on and on until Dana finally made the fight happen. And then Vitor got injured. :(
Vitor has better hand speed and boxing than Silva does, I really wanna see how Silva can change his style against the first opponent who actually has comperable/better striking than he does.

Sonnen is a legit contender too and best wrestler Silva has faced so far. He fights smart and wont do same mistakes Hendo did and will keep on grinding the victory on the ground instead of suddenly thinking he can outstrike Silva.

So yeah, with atleast 2 tough contenders already lined up and with LHW division having several guys working for the shot I see no reason to stall either division by having the champs fight each other. I wouldn't mind it happening after both of them defend their belt atleast 3 times, but sadly for Silva that is not happening as Sonnen is going to take his belt before losing it to Vitor. :)
Man you are one delusional guy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts