Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner

Should Nathan Marquardt be the #1 Contender?

• Yes

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 81.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The American Psycho
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The man has three straight victories in the UFC and was the king of Pancrease! Should he get a title shot before Swick and the TUF 4 winner or should he have more fights?

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
Again... NO.

Look at his last three wins?
Ivan Salaverry, Joe Doerksen and Crafton Wallace.

...and those were his only fights in the UFC.

Swick has 5 fights in the UFC.
His last three fights were wins to...

Steve Vigneault, Joe Riggs, and David Loiseau.

Not to mention he is 10 - 1, while Nate is 22 - 6.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
AtomDanger said:
Again... NO.

Look at his last three wins?
Ivan Salaverry, Joe Doerksen and Crafton Wallace.

...and those were his only fights in the UFC.

Swick has 5 fights in the UFC.
His last three fights were wins to...

Steve Vigneault, Joe Riggs, and David Loiseau.

Not to mention he is 10 - 1, while Nate is 22 - 6.
Swick only has one impressive win and Nates been in he UFC longer and has had better pre-ufc credentials with Pancrase. So I vote Marquardt.

·
Registered
139 Posts
i wish they would give nate a chance so he can get his ass beat that way i dont have to read any more dumb threads about him being a contender. i mean 3 wins agains average at best opponents and 2 wins come from decision, he couldnt even stop these guys!!!

·
1 2 3 Blast Off!
2,972 Posts
aznmaniac0909 said:
who cares they can take turns getting KTFO by silva
hahaa true, i would like to see a marquot swick fight then see one of them heavy hitters take on silva.

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
Shifty 1 said:
Purely my opinion but I don't think Swick would beat either Ivan Salaverry or Joe Doerksen. I think Nate has been getting passed up.

Ehh I think he would do fine against both those guys.

·
Registered
794 Posts
i say give Swick to Silva first based on more UFC fights. I would also comment that Nate has been cut a raw deal by the UFC so far. The guy is a very good fighter, carrys himself well, speaks well and is experienced in and out of the UFC. He is a good size for 185 and has the tools.

He deserves a shot soon but if you figure at 185, you got Swick, TUF4 winner (Cote ?) and then Ace rematch - Nate would have to fight at least once more - Which is why he will face Dean Lister. Then that will clear the picture up for early next year.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Swick seems to be the most marketable guy right now. If Marquardt can beat Lister then his stock should rise. Franklin is gonna be out for a while and the entire picture will change by the time he is ready to throw down again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think Nate is extremely underrated, I mean most people dont even know who he is, but as the UFC website says, he is a world class striker, well conditioned, has great size and he is a BJJ black belt. For people who dont know his credentials:

Blackbelt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
2nd deg blackbelt Pancrase MMA/Jiu-Jitsu.
7 times King of Pancrase
1st middleweight King of Pancrase
Pancrase 2002 Spirit Tour Champion,
Pancrase Trans Tournament Champion
Bas Rutten Invitational Middleweight Tournament Champion
Ring of Fire Middleweight Champion
I.M.A. Rumble in the Rockies Tournament Champion

Thats pretty serious. I just think he hasnt fought any really tough opponents that are very well known. Personally, I think he could really give anyone in the MW division a VERY difficult fight, even Silva.

Either way, Dean Lister is one of my favorite fighters but I think since Nate has him in the stand up and the fact that he is a BJJ BB, he will win this one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.