Mixed Martial Arts Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was a little annoyed with the UFC for setting Ken up for a third fight with Tito knowing what would happen. I know Ken asked for the fight but sometimes you have to stop fighters for their own good. Shamrock was passed his prime at age 42 and was obviously in for another beating. Although Ken can sometimes be an idiot, he was a fearless pioneer in the sport and I feel he was exploited a bit by Dana and the UFC. What does everyone think about the NSA Commission stepping in and stopping non-competitive fighters from taking these kinds of beatings? Despite what you think of Ken, he is a hall of famer and should not have gone out that way. I know he obviously wanted it that way but like I say, sometimes people don't know when to quit, like Muhammed Ali. Probably after the first fight with Tito he should have started thinking about life after the Octagon. UFC is not going to look after him if he ends up like Ali.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pt447 said:
ken wasn't at risk of getting seriously hurt, and he wasn't crazy... so no. i don't want the athletic commision saying fights can or can't happen for any reason other than immidiate health concerns!
My concern is that poor Ken hasn't been competitive really for quite some time .. UFC will keep putting him on because he is a known name. Someone like Couture who was 40 was still kicking ass so there was no problem there

·
Free Thinker
5,673 Posts
Slick_Fugitive said:
My concern is that poor Ken hasn't been competitive really for quite some time .. UFC will keep putting him on because he is a known name. Someone like Couture who was 40 was still kicking ass so there was no problem there
well the NSAC isn't a fight promoter, it isn't up to the them who get's booked to fight, only who gets cleared! ken can fight as long as he makes weight and Dana or anyone else books him...

end of story!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pt447 said:
well the NSAC isn't a fight promoter, it isn't up to the them who get's booked to fight, only who gets cleared! ken can fight as long as he makes weight and Dana or anyone else books him...

end of story!
Yeah, but maybe they should expand their role a bit ... what the UFC pays these guys, they don't have enough to comfortably retire (Ken might) but if you look at the salary lines, these guys have to find day jobs after!

·
Free Thinker
5,673 Posts
Slick_Fugitive said:
Yeah, but maybe they should expand their role a bit ... what the UFC pays these guys, they don't have enough to comfortably retire (Ken might) but if you look at the salary lines, these guys have to find day jobs after!
it's the fighter's decision, and the promoter's decision. Ken isn't a draw now that he got splattered so badly. and no matter what... i don't think they should tell a fighter he can't because he's too old? or what would be the criteria? age, or what about if they lose 3 times before a win? i mean it doesn't make any sense...:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
theres no reason for them NOT to have fought. Yes, everyone knew Ken would get dominated, except for him. NSAC cant say oh you cant fight you're too old, you'll get injured, thats up to the fighters own judgement.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pt447 said:
it's the fighter's decision, and the promoter's decision. Ken isn't a draw now that he got splattered so badly. and no matter what... i don't think they should tell a fighter he can't because he's too old? or what would be the criteria? age, or what about if they lose 3 times before a win? i mean it doesn't make any sense...:thumbsdown:
I think you'd have to look at several factors - age, recent losses, how badly he was outclassed, potential future, potential for long term injury. UFC always refers to a fighter being able to intelligently defend themselves, well, maybe after a certain point, they cannot defend themselves well enough to even be in the octagon receiving damaging blows. Maybe after age 40 they ought to undergo a couple more tests to ensure there isn't a potential problem brewing long term. It's not only short term these guys have to be concerned about IMO.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CTFlyingKnee said:
theres no reason for them NOT to have fought. Yes, everyone knew Ken would get dominated, except for him. NSAC cant say oh you cant fight you're too old, you'll get injured, thats up to the fighters own judgement.
But sometimes fighters/people just don't know what's best for them and you can't allow them to jeopardize themselves ... that's why we have seat belt laws

·
F*ck You I Rhyme Better
2,458 Posts
Slick_Fugitive said:
I was a little annoyed with the UFC for setting Ken up for a third fight with Tito knowing what would happen. I know Ken asked for the fight but sometimes you have to stop fighters for their own good. Shamrock was passed his prime at age 42 and was obviously in for another beating. Although Ken can sometimes be an idiot, he was a fearless pioneer in the sport and I feel he was exploited a bit by Dana and the UFC. What does everyone think about the NSA Commission stepping in and stopping non-competitive fighters from taking these kinds of beatings? Despite what you think of Ken, he is a hall of famer and should not have gone out that way. I know he obviously wanted it that way but like I say, sometimes people don't know when to quit, like Muhammed Ali. Probably after the first fight with Tito he should have started thinking about life after the Octagon. UFC is not going to look after him if he ends up like Ali.
this is a good topic to discuss... thats been rare lately on this board..

*starts reading opinions*

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
Slick_Fugitive said:

Well, Nevada had NOTHING to do with that fight, seeing how it happened in Florida. But....

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
Slick_Fugitive said:

Im sure they would, for fights that happen in Nevada.

·
Free Thinker
5,673 Posts
Slick_Fugitive said:
I think you'd have to look at several factors - age, recent losses, how badly he was outclassed, potential future, potential for long term injury. UFC always refers to a fighter being able to intelligently defend themselves, well, maybe after a certain point, they cannot defend themselves well enough to even be in the octagon receiving damaging blows. Maybe after age 40 they ought to undergo a couple more tests to ensure there isn't a potential problem brewing long term. It's not only short term these guys have to be concerned about IMO.
by that theory they could just deny any fighter a fight based on whatever the hell they wanted! don't you see how ridiculous this is? it would never work and isn't a very good idea. i'm sorry, but it's just not!

·
Registered
227 Posts
ok billy... Shamrock has been hit one to many times in his weird looking head and thought if lightning struck he could beat Tito which it didnt

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
pt447 said:
by that theory they could just deny any fighter a fight based on whatever the hell they wanted! don't you see how ridiculous this is? it would never work and isn't a very good idea. i'm sorry, but it's just not!
Well no, they couldn't deny any fighter any time, I'm talking about fighters who have been in the game long, who have been non-competitive lately, are absorbing punishment and really are at the end of their careers with no realistic prospect of moving forward .. there is a big difference between a young fighter, someone like Sammy Morgan, who gets knocked out every other fight (although if this started happening all the time then that could raise an argument) but is still developing, and someone like Ken who is 42 years old, staying in a sport where he is not winning and basically getting beat up in fights where he is being dominated

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maniac said:
ok billy... Shamrock has been hit one to many times in his weird looking head and thought if lightning struck he could beat Tito which it didnt
You're not the first one to say that ... personally I think Ken just thought he could win, but a few people have suggested that the way he has acted is because he's taken one too many shots to the head

·
Free Thinker
5,673 Posts
Slick_Fugitive said:
Well no, they couldn't deny any fighter any time, I'm talking about fighters who have been in the game long, who have been non-competitive lately, are absorbing punishment and really are at the end of their careers with no realistic prospect of moving forward .. there is a big difference between a young fighter, someone like Sammy Morgan, who gets knocked out every other fight (although if this started happening all the time then that could raise an argument) but is still developing, and someone like Ken who is 42 years old, staying in a sport where he is not winning and basically getting beat up in fights where he is being dominated
there is still no way to properly regulate such a situation. should a 32 year old who loses all the time be allowed to fight when a 52 year old who won his last fight by cut to the eyebrow be allowed to continue?

still, there is no way to do this without the commission telling the promoters who to book!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.